Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OnePlus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭blade1

robo wrote: »
    Are these OnePlusOne brands or others? Anyone else buy from this website? There seems to be a lot of mixed reviews of the different brands on Amazon for OnePlus chargers which is annoying. Don't want to buy something that will melt or stop working after a few weeks. Anyone buy any dash chargers (plug not needed) and can recommend them?

I bought those ones linked and they are fantastic.
    Seem the real deal anyway.
    Good quality.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I got mine the other day/ Was not in any packaging just a plastic bag. I have not tried it yet.. will do soon and I'll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Aliexpress is like amazon marketplace -lots of different traders selling the same items. I bought three of these from 2 different traders on aliexpress (along with 1 plug ...so now have 1 spare cable+plug at home +one cable for each car -for around the same price as 1 cable&plug from OnePlus.) The quality of the Aliexpress ones are the same, if not better ...the cable from one of the suppliers was longer (as per description). This one is also 'flat', so it looks a bit different in that way.
    Other than that I can see no difference. I've had around 6 months use with these.

...that's not to say your experience will be the same, but in general, I can't remember having difficulty with aliexpress. Usually they will refund you right away if there's an issue (as good as Amazon in that). Of course, that's not much use if your house burns down due to dodgy cable -but again, aliexpress stuff is not "knockoff tat" in my experience -once you are happy with the item & its description as on the site.

...One more thing... Expect a wait of somewhere between 5 days and 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭robo

Thanks guys - can you please post a link to the brands that you bought?

• Advertisement

Thanks guys - can you please post a link to the brands that you bought?

Dash Charging Car Charger with Original 1m 1 Dash type-c Cable fast Quick charge For Oneplus 6 5T 5 3t 3 One plus five T three
    http://s.aliexpress.com/Vb2EBzeu?fromSns=Copy to clipboard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

My op5 is acting up no matter what charger I use I have to plug it in 5-6 times to try get it charging. Anyone have similar issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭moggser

Nolars wrote: »
    My op5 is acting up no matter what charger I use I have to plug it in 5-6 times to try get it charging. Anyone have similar issues?

Seems like the charging port is damages have similar problem with my one but it won't dash charge at first then will, had that exact problem with the OnePlus 3 and had to send it back for repair,

I'd be trying surgical spirits on it.
    It works wonders.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    I'd be trying surgical spirits on it.
    It works wonders.

:eek:
    I'd be nervous using any liquid near electronics like that. Have you used that before? Power off/ dry well after use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I'd be nervous using any liquid near electronics like that. Have you used that before? Power off/ dry well after use?

It evaporates completely, just make sure it's turned off with the battery removed. You would be better with isopropanol, you can get cans of it for cleaning PC parts

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭pandabat

Isopropyl on a tiny cotton swab or similar. You just want to clean the contacts and inner surface. Also maybe a non-metal poking stick to very gently remove any pocket lint etc that may be in there. The alcohol will evaporate off for the most part but a tiny amount of kitchen towel will dry off remainder. Just be sensible, power off phone beforehand and try to hold with charging port facing down to minimise ingress into main phone chassis. Might do nothing for the problem or might fix it.

Yes,have used it plenty of times over the years on some of my phone's and also used it on other people's phones.
    Not only has it solved faulty ports but also faulty home buttons.
    You can get a bottle in the chemist for around €3 and it will last forever.

Can't comment on the isopropyl/isopropanol that the others have mentioned as I have not used it but assume it will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

It evaporates completely, just make sure it's turned off with the battery removed. You would be better with isopropanol, you can get cans of it for cleaning PC parts

Having the same issue, is removing the battery easy?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Don Imac2

Hococop wrote: »
    Having the same issue, is removing the battery easy?

I took out the battery of an OP2. Not that easy as there was 18 tiny screws. The OP5 is different and looks easier. Have a look at this tear down. The glue on the battery back is low tack. Good luck with it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCe-QCgZ0VQ

blade1 wrote: »
    Yes,have used it plenty of times over the years on some of my phone's and also used it on other people's phones.
    Not only has it solved faulty ports but also faulty home buttons.
    You can get a bottle in the chemist for around €3 and it will last forever.

Can't comment on the isopropyl/isopropanol that the others have mentioned as I have not used it but assume it will do the job.

Might pick something like that in the morning, you have a pic of the bottle you use or a link to something similar

Hococop wrote: »
    Might pick something like that in the morning, you have a pic of the bottle you use or a link to something similar

Just ask in the chemist for a bottle of surgical spirits.
    I don't know where you pick up the isopropyl that the other lads mentioned.

I have never removed a battery when cleaning a port and never had any issues.
    Just use something to pick out any excess lint that maybe stuck in there.
    Even if you see nothing coming out the surgical spirits will still loosen out anything that's clogged.
    Give it a little time to work.
    And as said by someone else switch off the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I wouldn't bother removing the battery either. Just turn the phone off and don't turn it back on for a while after cleaning. It evaporates quickly.

Leave it for 15 minutes after? What would be the best item to use like a toothpick or do I need to use a cotton bud dipped in the spirits?

• Advertisement

Quick update, bought the spirit but didn't use it, got a small flat Plastic and cut it into a point and couldn't believe the amount of dirt that came out of it,

used a small needle and toothpick before but only did a light clean, here I was more thorough and the dirt was caked and embedded in took me 20+ minutes to scrape it out and then used an air can the blow the small dust away and perfect, plugged it in and only realized then how much the charger did not go into phone, it stuck out a mm or 2,

thanks for all the help, pity I purchased a new plug and charger a day before seeing this haha, ah well always handy to have a second one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭gar

Have a nylon case for a OP5 unused and still in box if anyone wants it?
    In Naas area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭54and56

I assume everyone got the recent upgrade to OxygenOS 9.0.3?

19 months after purchasing the OP5 it's still absolutely flying and OxygenOS 9.0.3 is a great experience.

The big surprise for me was seeing that the "Do not Disturb" function has returned allowing the phone to be set to silent on predetermined schedules which means I no longer have to remember to move the slider to silent at bed time and back to "ring" in the morning.

One thing which continues to annoy me however both pre and post the OxygenOS 9.0.3 upgrade is that the actual ring volume constantly seems to reset to high. I set it to low and somehow later in the day it has reset to high. Does anyone else have this problem and more importantly a solution where the various volume levels (ring, media and alarm) can be set and locked in place unless manually changed?

Also, does anyone know if there is an option which would allow for an increasing ringtone i.e. start low and every 3 seconds gradually increase? I think there used to be but can't find it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

I assume everyone got the recent upgrade to OxygenOS 9.0.3?

Since the upgrade ye I agree everything has been great.
    EXCEPT the only notification light and peep I'm not getting is for Gmail.

All other apps I'm getting correct notification but not Gmail.

I have checked inside Gmail settings and all seems normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

Since the upgrade ye I agree everything has been great.
    EXCEPT the only notification light and peep I'm not getting is for Gmail.

All other apps I'm getting correct notification but not Gmail.

I have checked inside Gmail settings and all seems normal.

hold the gmail app and go to app info, force stop it and clear cache

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

5star02707 wrote:
    hold the gmail app and go to app info, force stop it and clear cache

Thanks that makes it appear on top of my screen but still no notification light :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Phone randomly froze today screen froze side buttons worked fine had to reset it by holding down buttons. Now after it reboots I cannot enter the security pattern yet the side buttons and all work fine, wiped down screen and all nothing.... Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭pandabat

Doesn't sound great. You could try leaving it on to run out of battery completely just to see if that clears anything but it's a long shot that'll probably end in the same result.

Would seem that you're not alone though so perhaps read through some of the threads here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=oneplus+5+touch+screen+not+working+site:forums.oneplus.com&safe=off&client=ms-unknown&prmd=inv&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiJ4aTBmq3hAhX5RBUIHTBOD9MQrQIoBDADegQIAhAI&cshid=1554063971078&biw=412&bih=708&dpr=2.63

Failing any resolution there, probably needs a trip to the OnePlus service centre unless anyone has any other ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭robo

Has anyone replaced the OnePlus 5 battery or had it done somewhere that they would recommend? I am finding it draining more and more - and I understand that happens with use & age. But the phone is top quality, works perfect (hope I haven't jinxed it now) and I don't need/want a rplacement.
    Just looking to see is others replaced the battery and if they noticed a significant difference?
    (yes I always have a power bank backup in my bag)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭54and56

Has anyone replaced the OnePlus 5 battery or had it done somewhere that they would recommend? I am finding it draining more and more - and I understand that happens with use & age. But the phone is top quality, works perfect (hope I haven't jinxed it now) and I don't need/want a rplacement.
    Just looking to see is others replaced the battery and if they noticed a significant difference?
    (yes I always have a power bank backup in my bag)

My OnePlus 5 is still performing perfectly and the battery still gives me a good day of usage but I rarely put it to that test as I tend to top up as I go e.g. in the car, at the office desk etc.

I therefore haven't had to replace the battery yet but I've done so with older phones in the past and I found the best way to do it is to purchase a replacement battery myself from Ali Express (do your research) e.g. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LOSONCOER-4200mAh-BLP637-Battery-For-Oneplus-5-One-Plus-5-One-Plus-5-Five-Mobile-Phone/32885045197.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.8.43bb71a68OF9fm&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_7_10065_10068_319_10059_10884_317_10887_10696_321_322_10084_453_10083_454_10103_10618_10304_10307_10820_10821_537_10302_536,searchweb201603_50,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=37fa4c1b-e6f6-4c1e-b96c-13afbbed79e1-4&algo_pvid=37fa4c1b-e6f6-4c1e-b96c-13afbbed79e1&transAbTest=ae803_4 and then give that plus the phone to the best phone/electronic repair shop in your area. I'm lucky to have a really good guy near me in Cornlescourt https://www.onestoprepair.ie.

Total cost? €20 to purchase the battery and depending on how easy/complex the replacement process another €25/€35 so less than €50 to revitalise a great phone and (hopefully) get another 2 years at least out of it.

Advertisement