Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OnePlus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay much heed to them, the site says "Expected" pricing.
    But if they are right, then I'm all in for the HTC U11 instead :)

Going by my experiences with the 10, you'd better be prepared to root and flash custom ROMs no later than the end of your first year owning the U11, HTC are a joke for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

corwill wrote: »
    Going by my experiences with the 10, you'd better be prepared to root and flash custom ROMs no later than the end of your first year owning the U11, HTC are a joke for updates.

I'd ideally like it rooted before I put my sim card into it :D

Any other alternatives that you might have in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭FaganJr

marcbrophy wrote:
    I wouldn't pay much heed to them, the site says "Expected" pricing. But if they are right, then I'm all in for the HTC U11 instead

Does the HTC U11 have dual SIM??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I'd ideally like it rooted before I put my sim card into it :D

Any other alternatives that you might have in mind?

I never thought I'd say it, having had a grudge against Samsung since the Galaxy S3, but at the relative prices, I'd look at the S8.

I don't have the the time these days for rooting and flashing, and the missus ran out of patience years ago with panic attacks at 1am over potential soft-brickings.

Otherwise, I might see if anything decent and sensibly priced running a Snap 630 or 660 comes out in the next couple of months, I'm not really a power user anymore, if I ever was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

corwill wrote: »
    I never thought I'd say it, having had a grudge against Samsung since the Galaxy S3, but at the relative prices, I'd look at the S8.

I don't have the the time these days for rooting and flashing, and the missus ran out of patience years ago with panic attacks at 1am over potential soft-brickings.

Otherwise, I might see if anything decent and sensibly priced running a Snap 630 or 660 comes out in the next couple of months, I'm not really a power user anymore, if I ever was!

I haven't had a Samsung since the S3 days either and tbh, I'm not ready to go back to them yet, if ever :)

Sony have a great phone in the XZ Premium, but once again have missed the correct pricing point. It's too dear and they are fooking useless at updating software too :(

I'd actually love something like the upcoming Nokia 6, just a little bit more powerful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I'd actually love something like the upcoming Nokia 6, just a little bit more powerful :D
    The rumoured Nokia 9 is getting some light shed on it currently.

The rumoured Nokia 9 is getting some light shed on it currently.

Will it ever see the light of day though? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Will it ever see the light of day though? :pac:

I would be quietly confident they will get their price point right and compete with the likes of the Oneplus phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭xtal191

Possible leaked specs http://www.gsmarena.com/gfxbench_outs_most_oneplus_5_specs-news-25519.php

gsmarena_003.jpg

1080p would be fairly disappointing especially if the rumoured prices of €500+ are true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

xtal191 wrote: »
    Possible leaked specs http://www.gsmarena.com/gfxbench_outs_most_oneplus_5_specs-news-25519.php

1080p would be fairly disappointing especially if the rumoured prices of €500+ are true

but whats the benefit of say a 4k screen bar maybe VR? A 1080p screen would not put me off in the slightest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

If it's over €500 I'll definitely be looking elsewhere when it comes to replacing my OP3...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

500 and over is mad especially for a company that started off with the idea of high end specs in a cheap phone.

With each iteration of these phones the price is steadily rising. Next they will just be any other high end manufacturer with a premium price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

500 and over is mad especially for a company that started off with the idea of high end specs in a cheap phone.

With each iteration of these phones the price is steadily rising. Next they will just be any other high end manufacturer with a premium price.

But with no USP....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,394 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Google did the same thing with the Nexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,394 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I'll be going for the XIAOMI Mi6 if the one plus is over 500

The amount of crying here is pretty funny. Wait until it's announced and prices are set. If you don't think it's worth the cost, don't buy. Plenty of other options out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭xtal191

projectgtr wrote: »
    but whats the benefit of say a 4k screen bar maybe VR? A 1080p screen would not put me off in the slightest

I agree if its under €500 but if the rumours are true and its over well then they've got competition. The S8 can be gotten for under 600 now.

The beauty of OnePlus at the beginning was great specced phones at amazing prices, they had no rivals at the pricepoint. If they start pricing their phones close to the big boys they're gonna lose a lot of customers.

Look its all rumours at the moment so lets wait and see what happens on the 20th. I loved my OnePlus One and will be keeping my 3T for at least another year but I hope they dont **** up with the pricing of the 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

But with no USP....

You've nailed it in 4 words there. OnePlus' USP *is* their low pricing. It wasn't their spec that allowed them call their phones 'flagship killers' - it was their price. They need to be very careful that they don't lose that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Basil3 wrote: »
    The amount of crying here is pretty funny. Wait until it's announced and prices are set. If you don't think it's worth the cost, don't buy. Plenty of other options out there.

Ah now come on, it's not crying really, it's the irish discussion process! If we didn't have something to moan about on boards then all these threads would be very short indeed!

I for one will be also sensitive of the price, after having most of the phones from OnePlus (and loving them) but then getting one from Xiaomi and being blown away for the price to performance benefit, I'm very happy to move to Xiaomi if OnePlus mess this up and think they can rock the big boy prices while still pretending to be a startup...

• Advertisement

If anyone was wondering what you could get from Xiaomi for OnePlus money (less now that's it's on special offer)

- 5.15" OLED screen, full HD display
    - 12MP rear dual-camera, 8MP front camera
    - Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Processor
    - 6GB LPDDR4 RAM + 64GB/128GB flash storage
    - MIUI 8 base on Android OS

€469.31 €403.47

http://www.oppomart.com/mi6.html

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

You might want to check out the link you just posted as it is coming up as a dodgy site.
    god's toy wrote: »
    If anyone was wondering what you could get from Xiaomi for OnePlus money (less now that's it's on special offer)

- 5.15" OLED screen, full HD display
    - 12MP rear dual-camera, 8MP front camera
    - Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Processor
    - 6GB LPDDR4 RAM + 64GB/128GB flash storage
    - MIUI 8 base on Android OS

€469.31 €403.47

http://www.oppomart.com/mi6.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

clickhere wrote: »
    You might want to check out the link you just posted as it is coming up as a dodgy site.

It's perfectly fine. I do not know what anti-virus you are using but it is wrong.

It's perfectly fine. I do not know what anti-virus you are using but it is wrong.

Yep Oppomart is fine, I (and many people I know) have been using them for years.

It's is indeed dodgy, when clicking on mobile. Leads to endless stream of popup ads and random vibrations.

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's is indeed dodgy, when clicking on mobile. Leads to endless stream of popup ads and random vibrations.

Just tested with Chrome and Firefox on oneplus 3, shield tablet and pc, all worked fine with no popups or warnings.. odd?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭FaganJr

god's toy wrote:

They don't have all the LTE bands we use here, therefore a non runner!

FaganJr wrote: »
    They don't have all the LTE bands we use here, therefore a non runner!

While I'll agree with you, Having the same feelings myself until tested one.
    IMO I was not lacking reception really in any way.. the odd place here and there. Living in Co Wicklow and working in Dublin (as well as often driving to all Irish lighthouse land station locations) it was as connected as the OnePlus three was mostly ... but I found the GPS reception on the xiaomi to be far and above the OnePlus 3, no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

I was looking on Oppomart the other week, and just saw "This site may be hacked" when you Google Oppomart. Found it strange considering many people seem to have used it on here and other sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

The OP5 mic was improved so you can now watch concerts through your phone and rewatch them with better sound...

Joking aside, its a decent little improvement to be fair

Advertisement