Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TDs have voted to make it compulsory to stand during the Dail prayer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The state should remove public holidays for Christmas and Easter.
    People should have less time off work.

Never see the same people complaining about these state sanctioned public holidays, or our national day being named after a man credited with bringing Christianity to Ireland.
    People celebrating a day dedicated to love named after a Catholic saint.

But the thing is, people don't complain about these and their relation to religion, they choose to dismiss the relevance of the time off and the reason behind it.

A lot of hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Don't think it's obligatory. Take a constitutional case if you like.

They just voted it that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,403 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

AryaStark wrote: »
    I would not vote for anybody who voted for this. I will be looking to find out how my local td's voted and looking for answers about why they voted, if they voted Yes.
    But would you vote for SF or PBP if they said no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

RobertKK wrote: »
    It remind me of this in Austin, Texas.
    It is just a piece of rock which caused some to be very offended.

What's the context?

pjohnson wrote: »
    But would you vote for SF or PBP if they said no?

None of your business who I might vote for. If the choice was a vote and the only candidates had voted yes then I would spoil my vote - and that it not something I would do lightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,319 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Never see the same people complaining about these state sanctioned public holidays, or our national day being named after a man credited with bringing Christianity to Ireland.

But the thing is, people don't complain about these and their relation to religion, they choose to dismiss the relevance of the time off and the reason behind it.

A lot of hypocrites.

Everything has an origin in something or other. The selection of Christmas in the calendar owes itself to some pagan winter festival that predated Christianity.

Ultimately what you're trying to say is balls and utterly irrelevant to a national Parliament mandating under threat of penalty a prayer to a god.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

A lot of hypocrites.

I agree. All the posters having a meltdown here were enjoying a 4 day weekend a couple of weeks ago, scoffing Easter eggs and roast lamb, drank themselves stupid on St Patrick's day and sat under a Christmas tree for 3 weeks before that.

A lot of hypocrites.

Try the other one. Provided we get public holidays I think most people wouldn't care when the days actually fall as long as they're spaced out well enough.

circadian wrote: »
    What's the context?

In 2005, a homeless man took the state of Texas to court over the constitutionality of the ten commandments being on the grounds of the State capitol.
    It went all the way to the Supreme court, which ruled 5-4 that the monument was constitutional for historical reasons.
    It had been on state grounds since 1961.

In case of the Dail, there has always been a prayer before the start of business. People getting upset now, must not be well informed about our parliament.
    The changes in reality are not big changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

infogiver wrote: »
    I agree. All the posters having a meltdown here were enjoying a 4 day weekend a couple of weeks ago, scoffing Easter eggs and roast lamb, drank themselves stupid on St Patrick's day and sat under a Christmas tree for 3 weeks before that.

Yes, the famous christmas tree on which our lord was crucified and gave himself up... oh wait no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭yammagamma

do you know the reason why catholics stand sit kneel sit stand and so on during there mass, its a technique used in interrogation as it confuses the mind and stops the person actually thinking straight,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'd usually agree, but why bring in this law now? It's a bizarre decision by FG that I can only assume is a smoke screen of some sort or else an attempt at indirect **** stirring to harm the likes of the water protest groups.

It was a Healy-Rae proposal wasn't it?

AryaStark wrote: »
    None of your business who I might vote for. If the choice was a vote and the only candidates had voted yes then I would spoil my vote - and that it not something I would do lightly.

Good answer not a total hypocrite. I do agree disliking someone standing up is of utmost importance. A partys beliefs/economic policies is truly trivial if someone stands up.

circadian wrote: »
    Try the other one. Provided we get public holidays I think most people wouldn't care when the days actually fall as long as they're spaced out well enough.

But they are related to religion, just read some of the replies in this thread.

They don't care as they get a day off, as you say.
    A lot of people getting offended for the sake of it, it seems. They argue for the separation of church and state and we have state sanctioned public holidays related to religion and they are happy to take them.
    It makes the outrage by some, very fake.

But they are related to religion, just read some of the replies in this thread.

They don't care as they get a day off, as you say.
    A lot of people getting offended for the sake of it, it seems. They argue for the separation of church and state and we have state sanctioned public holidays related to religion and they are happy to take them.
    It makes the outrage by some, very fake.

I can imagine their response if these holidays were removed :D

lawred2 wrote: »
    Everything has an origin in something or other. The selection of Christmas in the calendar owes itself to some pagan winter festival that predated Christianity.

Ultimately what you're trying to say is balls and utterly irrelevant to a national Parliament mandating under threat of penalty a prayer to a god.

So it is celebrated these days as the birth of Christ, only you want to argue the current Irish state was founded in Pagan times?

What is the actual threat mandated?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Don't think it's obligatory. Take a constitutional case if you like.

The just voted for it to be obligatory, did you even read the thread title?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

What is also worrying is that we have TDs who genuinely believe that god is talking to them and guiding them in the Dáil chamber. If they genuine believe this, and they must if they voted for it today, then it confirms what we already know. We have a large number of insane people that hear voices in their head running the country.

What would god actually say to them in relation to the National Maternity Hospital? I doubt it would be 'Ah yeah lads, that whole Maternity Hospital thing was a bit of a mad idea wasn't it, giving control over to the nuns who ran the Magdalene Laundries and to this day refuse to pay compensation, what was I thinking...lol'.

Perhaps imaginary conversations with god are the least of our worries when we still have the church trying to influence the state and politicians.

From a few months back...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/archbishop-tells-politicians-not-to-forget-their-faith-during-abortion-debates-757439.html
    Archbishop Eamon Martin has called on politicians not to forget their faith during debates on abortion.
    He told RTE's This Week programme: "I think that we would call on politicians not to leave their faith outside of the door when it comes to issues to do with policy and public policy. The teaching is clear on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

I'm mortified for Ireland's reputation. How did this trivial, nunnery ****e become an agenda item at a fcuking national parliamentary sitting amongst adults ?

"Should we have a mandatory prayer time before half of us don't even show up in future ?" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

As far as I know it was in place already, it was voted to be abolished and instead they added a 30 second reflection period on the end.
    That being said, I don't believe they should do it, work and religion should be separate, especially in the government. Imagine a politician of a different faith being asked to stand and pray for another.
    In fact, there was a ban on religious clothing passed in Europe recently, where employers can stop people wearing religious clothing, such as headscarves, hijabs, and as not to be biased, crosses on chains.
    To allow that ruling and do nothing about Ireland's governmental prayer is a farce though and in the name of equality, shouldn't be allowed.

The fact that this was brought up at all though is a little ridiculous, but the numbers are concerning.

• Advertisement

infogiver wrote: »

And didn't say one prayer or have to stand while others did.

This is a stupid point and has nothing to do with the vote or result.

In 2005, a homeless man took the state of Texas to court over the constitutionality of the ten commandments being on the grounds of the State capitol.
    It went all the way to the Supreme court, which ruled 5-4 that the monument was constitutional for historical reasons.

In case of the Dail, there has always been a prayer before the start of business. People getting upset now, must not be well informed about our parliament.

Yes they are.

Before while the stupid prayer was being said, atheists and others who did not want to acknowledge it didn't have to. Now they have to stand up and recognise it and that is not right or fair. It is also a big change to people who are not religious and who think it is stupid to have the prayer in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I'll be asking my three TDs about this

Sweet jesus! And here's me thinking our TD's are overpaid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

cruizer101 wrote: »
    What really worries me here is the numbers it won by 97 votes to 17, with 19 abstentions. So its not like it just scraped through, a vast majority of our public representatives voted to dedicate time to a load of bolloxology. What the proper f**k like :mad:

God is everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

lawred2 wrote: »
    or his arse

one or the other

You put so much effort into that post you must have had to have a lie down after it! clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Let me get this right.

There was a chance to remove it, and they didn't.

Then they decided that an extra 30 seconds of reflection was to be added.

Then decided that if you didn't stand for both pray and reflection, you could be removed from work, and therefore go unpaid?

And people don't see what the issue is?

This ****ing place, I tell you. Have a bit of wit and consideration for those around you. More potential hassle down the road, when they could have done it now. If (or when) there's a United Ireland, the loyalists will have a field day whinging at this. Putting a catholic (I know it's not solely a catholic prayer, but voted by a catholic majority, it's a catholic prayer) prayer before the silent reflection (basically everyone elses prayer)? Fun times listening to that.

What about the infirm that can't stand, or stand for that long?

What historical reasons support the move to punish members of the D?il for not wishing to stand for prayer?

On the point of historical reasons....

A lot of hypocrites.

I guess you could note that these are in place for historical reasons. Let's see, for example;

Easter - Pre-Christian celebration
    Christmas Day - This date happened to be the day of the Winter Solstice in the Roman Empire
    St Stevens Day - Also known as Wren day, most likely a Celtic mid-winter sacrafice

dav3 wrote: »
    What is also worrying is that we have TDs who genuinely believe that god is talking to them and guiding them in the D?il chamber. If they genuine believe this, and they must if they voted for it today, then it confirms what we already know. We have a large number of insane people that hear voices in their head running the country.

What would god actually say to them in relation to the National Maternity Hospital? I doubt it would be 'Ah yeah lads, that whole Maternity Hospital thing was a bit of a mad idea wasn't it, giving control over to the nuns who ran the Magdalene Laundries and to this day refuse to pay compensation, what was I thinking...lol'.

Perhaps imaginary conversations with god are the least of our worries when we still have the church trying to influence the state and politicians.

From a few months back...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/archbishop-tells-politicians-not-to-forget-their-faith-during-abortion-debates-757439.html

He was the President at my secondary school in my final years there. He comes across as nice as pie and friendly and open, I knew at the time that man was dangerous. Some of the things he has come out with recently and his subtle political maneuvering has confirmed this for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Oddly, much as it may annoy the atheists, Muslims, Wickens and Hari-Krishnas, Ireland is a Catholic country. It's part of the National fabric. The idea of fecking that fabric out the window may suit some trendy ideals, but a swift trip to your local Catholic church any given Saturday evening/sunday morning will reveal that loads don't agree. So they get to stand and have a pray. When in Rome and all that jazz. GTFOI time?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Nothing unusual about the typical AH reaction to anything that smacks of deference to a nation's traditions that are still held in place of honour by a segment of the people. Concepts that had held a nation together are being frayed and thorn on the progressive's altar of their notation of modernity.

Advertisement