Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Not to brag but one (pretty large one) said to anyone with a long commute that they can stay at home as it's not practical to waste 3-4 hours a day in traffic. Maybe they are the exception, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

What's the best way to book a taxi in Athlone? Do people use Free Now or should I try a local taxi firm? If the latter does anyone have any recommendations? TIA.

Just to add, I'll need to get from a business at the edge of town to the train station between 3.30 - 4pm in the afternoon.

I do both but there are not many on freenow

Going for a train, I'd book over the phone to be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Thanks. Any particular company you use?

Whichever one answers when I call. There's a few, I just Google for the numbers reach time, couldn't even name them to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭FlicFlak

Dont know about anyone else, but its getting abit ridiculous on the old barracks road, along the river. I know they're doing alot of work there, but all the cars keep parking on the opposite side of the road across from the rowing clubhouse. It leaves no room now for cars to pass if traffic is coming from the other side, and only 50m around the corner there is any amount of parking spaces outside the old railway house!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Don't know why they don't just close it for a while, it's not like there isn't an alternative route.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Since the electric buses came in, timetable reliability is gone way down. Waiting 45 minutes now at the mill for a bus to come. Two came by already but both were billed as out of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

That's not good news for the service

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Would have to wonder why the ev buses are having that affect?

Need to be charged, so out of service more ?

• Advertisement

The service wasn't great longgggg before the EV buses. I regularly had 1-2 no-shows resulting in 45 min waits for what should have been a max of 15 mins (both routes serve my location)

Honestly couldn't think of a worse hell than needing to use a bus in a small town like this. The few times I have used them you do get left waiting. If you value your time and are able bodied, then the bike, your 2 feet or a car (owned or shared) are the only solutions.

Won't be getting bus lanes in my lifetime in small towns like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

I'd disagree, I don't have to use it frequently but its great when I'm in the office or going out in town. It can take up to an hour to get from one side of Athlone to the other which does suck tho.

I've also used it going out a few times. Much cheaper than a taxi. It's a real pity we don't have bus lanes. Badly need them now to ensure priority for public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

We don't have wide enough roads so not a hope of that.

Road space can be freed up by reallocation to other modes. Just requires a change in priorities, case in point below

Same can be done in other locations through the use of bus gates/ one-way / reduced access etc etc

Literally only requires a shift in priorities. This shift is already national policy and its SLOWLY trickling down into local councils.

Granted wouldn't be possible at all locations though

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I don't know why they don't completely pedestrianise that section of road through the town. No need for cars to go down there, unless they live in the houses off that street. Should be public transport, residents and deliveries only. Always queues of traffic through there.

I guess people would end up using the strand as a rat run. Bit of a conundrum that way.

Biproduct of the pedestrianisation has been the amount of knacker drinking youd see on the benches there. Its still not quite a pedestrian friendly town given the company you'd be keeping around there. Town in general feels less safe than it used to.

Anyone know where a decent breakfast can be got in or around the town on a Sunday?

I know Fernhill. i go there cause its the only one really thats open on a Sunday!

The wife is getting on to me that i never take her out for breakfast on a Sunday, but is there anywhere else im missing or havent considered?

Poppyfields, Savoury fare are closed on a Sunday, and she wont go to coffee haven!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

Sounds like she won't like it, but Cafe U is open 7 days a week now.

The housing estates built in Baylough have 4 parking spaces between them.

Yes climate change yada yada but jaysus 1 space a house is really too much to ask. Walked by it other day and everyone parking on kerbs.

You'd think 2 spaces per house really.

AFAIK poppy fields is now open Sunday and do a decent breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I think a lot of it went to social housing. So maybe the local authorities/builders feel people who need social housing probably can't afford cars either

It's the way things are going. Fewer parking spaces are part of the national planning Framework.

They still need somewhere a car can pull in to drop them and help them move stuff etc.

The houses are also sillily out on the roadside. Better some built than nothing but you'd get bugger all sleep there with the F1 track the road to Monksland has become.

I can understand fewer cars in urban areas, more pedestrian streets and park and ride access to town/city centres becoming a thing but people will still need cars.

Anyway off topic as that's not a athlone problem of too few spaces per house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TimHorton

I see less than 2 weeks in and the place looks like a dump already , Cables strewn out of vents with CCTV cameras cable tied to downpipes etc. Bin Bags being used as curtains etc etc....

The nouveau riche I believe is the phrase

• Advertisement

Anyone know where Britta filters can be recycled now? I used to just drop them into Argos, they had a box in the corner for used filters, but obviously they're now closed.

Havent seen any anywhere else!

Advertisement