Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Also saw one of the 2019 models out and about. I guess they have it as a plan b if their charger breaks etc. Still it makes a mock of the claim of 100 percent electric.

Also heard a claim of a bus broken down on garyvastlr flyover today. Not confirmed to be one of the E buses but raised an eyebrow nonetheless

Baby steps

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Al Mezza is superb, also The Silver Oak is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

The Left Bank bistro is nice, so is Di Bella (Italian) just up the street from it. Also Kin Khao is highly recommended.

At the risk of sounding blunt, why is the finger not out yet on Charlie's or the Grove to rebuild from the fires.

Judging by O Neills glacial pace of redevelopment, it may not happen in our lifetimes.

Baylough looks bad enough without burnt out buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

As we see all over Ireland, folks own prime real estate and are not stuck for a few bob so they can just let it rot. Baylough doesn't even come into the picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

No, it was the definitely the old bus doing the traditional route. I was stuck behind it for a couple of miles. One of the new buses might have been getting charged or something...

Maybe they're just phasing in the new buses, rather than a big bang approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

They probably got the insurance payout and are happy with that. Baylough is right next to a petrol station, land only good for a little shop etc. If it were mine I'd be happy to let it sit until someone wants to buy it from me. Use the payout for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭rn

I guess it's marketing to say it's 100% electric. The back up bus probably makes sense to keep as ice technology.

Every journey the electric bus makes is better for our air quality

Any restaurant recommendations?

Looking for something nice for couples and good food.

• Advertisement

They were also late delivering the section from white gates to bridge. Wouldn't use them again if I were the council. They couldn't have factored in cold weather when doing estimates?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

Will be nice to have access to the bridge but it's literally a bridge to nowhere at the moment anyway. Athlone-Galway route still years away by looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

Does anyone know what parking is like at the train station during the week these days? It used to be that if you weren't there for 7.05, all parking would be gone. On a Thursday at 8am, any chance of getting a spot?

Handy for Monksland to East Athlone cycling traffic. Gets you onto the Greenway route at least. Currently if doing this route, you're better off skipping the first part and starting at the White Gates. The bridge will save one cycling the wrong way on the footpath in Church St to get out there

Is the greenway projected to go near Monksland? I thought it was going south as soon as it crossed the river but I could be wrong

I think the planned route takes you behind Daneshill in the Summerhill direction. Logically it would make sense to reuse the Springwell Road after it goes through the "Big Meadow" area now that its blocked off to through traffic. This would take one onto the Monksland Link Road. Might be a slightly longer trip to town but Greenway access from Monksland would be well improved.

As said above I think it will take an age and a half to even get this much done so i'll settle for the bridge for now.

Maybe there's a more recent map, but this one makes it look decidedly inconvenient if you want to use it for Monksland. It'll be a big detour to use it from there if you're going into town, about 2.3 km if you had to follow the route marked in red to access it, which I'm guessing will be the nearest access point but I'm hoping I'm wrong

In total, going from the bridge to that RAB, would be approx 6km (give or take as the route is not defined

Versus 2.6km on the current route

Note if they could manage a connection off the main road, that would shave 2km off it, making it a lot more feasible for locals to use

Hmm, they may actually do that, or at least its definitely possible. the map key shows the green section highlighted below is already publicly owned land so it wouldn't even need a CPO. Doesn't quite line up with the routes I did above, but you get the idea.

Regardless, wish they'd hurry up and build the feckin yoke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Plenty of spaces at 7am anyhow, usually two thirds full when I'm there.

I was under the impression that they were looking at downgrading the Cloonown road and using that as the greenway, or was that idea canned?

• Advertisement

Doubt that'd fly. Alot of People live down that road. Would have a big detour.

Simply labelling the road a "greenway" and sharing it with cars would be a major step down.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

thanks, my train isn't until after 8 though, I assume it'll most likely be full by then though. Is it still possible to park in the hospital?

Park at Auburn Drive. Pretty much same distance. 5 minute walk. Any able bodied person who pays to park in a town this size has more money than sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,991 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Private residential cúl de sac with no CCTV, yeah that sounds like a real secure place to leave your car.

Doesn't Town Centre have an all day section on the second level down for something like 2 or 3 euro?

Haven't had the car robbed or vandalised yet. Even if I assumed that was going to happen, you are getting robbed anyway by paying for it.

Same with cctv. Cut out the middle man and just give the burglers your money directly. Or maybe lock your door and park legally. The residents don't own the public road around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭rje66

Just a few of many

Heavy on wallet Fatted Calf, Wineport Lodge,

Nice but not as pricey Il Colosio, Kin Khao, Thyme, Bacchus. There is a Lebenese too which is nice.

All very central except Wineport.

Cheers, I've been thinking about trying the Lebanese place, might go for that

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭batman75

Bacchus is very good. Was there last weekend. Food excellent and very good portions. A very wide menu.

We ended up going with Bacchus, very happy.

Popped into the Dead Center Brewing place downstairs after for a few. Will head there at some point for a pizza, they looked great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭FlicFlak

Any word on the new Gym accross from the old railway station, where the tile place used to be?

I see its been painted black for a while now and boarded up but still no sign of activity or opening?

Advertisement