Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

Might be out of our budget if they are 4 beds. We are mainly looking at 3 bed detached houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Might be out of our budget if they are 4 beds. We are mainly looking at 3 bed detached houses.

Without knowing what you budget is, a three bed detached in Athlone close to a bus route and amenities is going to be expensive.

We are looking around €180,000.

There were houses selling for under that as recently as November

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

We are looking around €180,000.

There were houses selling for under that as recently as November

I'm from Athlone but live outside the town. You didn't see a three bed detached modern house for 180 without having to spend a substantial sum upgrading it. Although location is a big factor. There are areas of the town I wouldn't live in if I got the house for free.

Sorry, that was a typo above. We are looking at 3 bed semis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Anyone able to tell me what River Village is like? It is the only habitable stuff available in our budget at the moment. It does seem like the stuff there is overpriced though - by, like Dr. Noisewater says, 10-15%

Large, mixed development, built in mid 2000s. Lots of renters. Some of the houses are kept lovely, others not so much. Some good sized houses in there, but anything that's actually for sale in there is very small and well overpriced. Absolutely fine as an area to live though.

Having said that, as someone originally from the Athlone area, would I pay 175k for a mid terrace house in River Village? Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Update on the last mile of the Greenway Westmeath end

Construction work on this section was paused shortly after commencing between Jan 6th and March 8th in accordance with Government CV19 guidelines. Contractor back on site now working in St Vincents Hospital section.

Plan is to have it finished for August Bank Holiday weekend. This planned opening date in June is delayed by 2 months because of above CV 19 closure of construction sites.

Regards

Michael Kelly Chartered Engineer

Senior Executive Engineer,

Westmeath County Council,

National Roads Office,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Council seem to have another brain fart

https://www.westmeathindependent.ie/2021/03/18/design-of-new-athlone-town-centre-revamp-published/

Going to pedestrianise Sean Costello street. Would mean traffic having to turn at that junction where O'Neils was. Surely that would be carnage trying to get around that corner

Council seem to have another brain fart

https://www.westmeathindependent.ie/2021/03/18/design-of-new-athlone-town-centre-revamp-published/

Going to pedestrianise Sean Costello street. Would mean traffic having to turn at that junction where O'Neils was. Surely that would be carnage trying to get around that corner

AFAIK Mr O Rourke plans a CPO of O Neills and Finlays buildings which if successful would lead to bulldozers and hence, the requisite space of Combine Harvesters to turn.

And yet another set of bloody traffic lights, as if there aren't enough already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

Should simplify traffic management. It's a great idea. Hope they can quickly move to implementing it. Sean costello Street is a key part of Athlone and the more cars that can be removed from the town centre, the better.

AFAIK Mr O Rourke plans a CPO of O Neills and Finlays buildings which if successful would lead to bulldozers and hence, the requisite space of Combine Harvesters to turn.

When it's done, I'll bring the combine for a spin to test it out
    rn wrote: »
    Should simplify traffic management. It's a great idea. Hope they can quickly move to implementing it. Sean costello Street is a key part of Athlone and the more cars that can be removed from the town centre, the better.

Are they removing them or just diverting them around that street?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Divertissement.

Id imagine well see full pedestrianisation dunnes to costume place before we're all dead. Yes there's alot of things that will delay this re the strand wolfe tone st etc but I definitely see it coming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

dolanbaker wrote: »
    And yet another set of bloody traffic lights, as if there aren't enough already!
    Should be enough room for a roundabout there, way smoother than lights.

dePeatrick wrote: »
    Should be enough room for a roundabout there, way smoother than lights.

If you mean one of those little ones painted on the road, then yeah there is. Anything sticking out of the ground would cause havoc for buses/trucks/people driving cars who think they are driving an artic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

If you mean one of those little ones painted on the road, then yeah there is. Anything sticking out of the ground would cause havoc for buses/trucks/people driving cars who think they are driving an artic.
    No I don’t mean that, what I mean is a real roundabout, have wondered why there is not one at the Crescent, enough room for one and it provides way smoother traffic movement. Having said that even those small painted ones do work as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

There was one at the crescent up until about 10 years ago but much like they did with a lot of the roundabouts in Galway, it was ditched for a much more complex traffic management system.

The ballymahon Road and town ring Road have much more significance now. For a round about to take that volume of traffic on a fair basis, it would need to be huge. We've traffic lights so that the three heavy volume routes move at all times.

dePeatrick wrote: »
    No I don’t mean that, what I mean is a real roundabout, have wondered why there is not one at the Crescent, enough room for one and it provides way smoother traffic movement. Having said that even those small painted ones do work as well.

That would encourage cars to go near the area, which will not be encouraged in the future.

Which would be fine if Golden Island was north of the town and accessible via the bypass. But of course, such a thing would kill the town centre. Next time you're in that queue of cars on a Saturday, see how many of them turn off prior to the Dunnes Roundabout. Less than 10% in my experience.

Anyway, yeah the junction is cat. For motorists, cyclists and pedestrians. A stroke of genius if that was what they were aiming for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭munsterman2008

Hi All,

I'm looking for two things locally in Athlone:

1. A weights bench, with weights - online seems to be out of stock most places (still)
    2. Ironically, somewhere to buy a fresh cooked full Irish breakfast - it's been a long time. Anywhere doing it take away?

Thanks.

Hi All,

I'm looking for two things locally in Athlone:

1. A weights bench, with weights - online seems to be out of stock most places (still)
    2. Ironically, somewhere to buy a fresh cooked full Irish breakfast - it's been a long time. Anywhere doing it take away?

Thanks.
    Can't help you with the fitness equipment, but for full Irish Kellys cafe in monksland have a takeaway box. Operating out of a hatch on the side of the cafe.

Savoryfare also doing taka away breakfast, but I find them expensive with no difference in quality.

Best breakfast in athlone is loaves and fishes, but I think they not doing breakfast takeaway. Look for menu's on Facebook.

Can't help you with the fitness equipment, but for full Irish Kellys cafe in monksland have a takeaway box. Operating out of a hatch on the side of the cafe.

Savoryfare also doing taka away breakfast, but I find them expensive with no difference in quality.

Best breakfast in athlone is loaves and fishes, but I think they not doing breakfast takeaway. Look for menu's on Facebook.

I'll try one of these tomorrow morning thanks for your speedy and helpful response.

I got Savoryfare in Monksland yesterday morning - full Irish, €10 and it was really delish. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I’ll second loaves and fishes.

Best takeaway sandwich in town

I’ll second loaves and fishes.

Best takeaway sandwich in town

I got breakfast there twice and it was the best breakfasts I've ever had. It is such a simple pleasure to get a full irish and more rare now during restrictions.

It's a shame loaves and fishes don't provide some take away services, it is evident that they are well regarded in the town. Someone should prompt them! :)

Loaves and fishes are doing take away Mon - Friday 10:00-14:30 I believe. It's just they are not doing breakfast.

Their take away food is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Coffee shops, coffee shops every where,
    Opening here and opening there
    All I ask, and not in jest
    which one has the coffee best ? :D

Me thinks Nave in the Square has the nicest Americano

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

For me, it has to be from the N6 or Centra in Baylough. I usually grab the large 16 oz cup and fill it with 12 oz of coffee. The rest is milk and I used to take sugar, so it would have been 2 packs of sugar.

Best coffee ever. I'm not the biggest fan of coffee anywhere else, because they overfill the cups, then give you feck all milk to go with it.

• Advertisement

martin1 wrote: »
    Coffee shops, coffee shops every where,
    Opening here and opening there
    All I ask, and not in jest
    which one has the coffee best ? :D

It certainly won't be Starbucks!

Advertisement