Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14 black male students in Cambridge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

dav3 wrote: »
    Who says anything about making excuses?

I imagine what I have listed would play a large part in the 'crap they have to put up with'.

What is it that has you so annoyed? Is it 'African Americans' or the 14 blacked lads in the picture you posted that you claim are 'Africans' from Cambridge England?

What has you so riled up on a sunny Wednesday afternoon that you just had to post this nonsense on an Irish forum?

Maybe decades ago but why is it that African kids & not just wealthy African kids are better educated than African American kids?
    Dont try to make out theres some racist undertone to what I posted

• Registered Users Posts: 10,937 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Who gives a rats ass?

Arse. It's rats arse.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Maybe decades ago but why is it that African kids & not just wealthy African kids are better educated than African American kids?

Ah come on now really? The literacy rate in sub-Saharan Africa is roughly 59%, in the US it's 98/99% although I suspect this may be slightly over exaggerated as functional illiteracy is phenomenally high across parts of the US so I would round this down to 90-94% in reality(source: UNESCO Institute for Statistics).Even taking aside the issues of functional illiteracy etc. it's quite clear that your average black person in the US is far better educated than your average black person in Africa. Also this is just literacy, I haven't touched on any other facets of education. To claim otherwise is just head in the sand stuff.

As an aside why the obsession with the educational attainment of black people in the US versus elsewhere? Why not black Irish people which is surely a more relevant point on an Irish forum.

I am black African (don't tell my mother - she has a nervous disposition).

Went to some good schools - scholarships on the main.

For me personally I find the African history and background is very different to that of the Caribbean / West Indies background and again very different to the African American experience.

Don't forget that racism is still thriving in America - why did Barack have such a rough ride? The "Nobamas" calling his wife a "monkey"? and getting away with it?

In my dealings with African Americans I feel they are still very aware that their world is weighted against them, not for them.

In Europe people with darker skin have an easier time - we are dealing with old, well matured cultures that have had centuries of dealing with migrations etc.

So as a black person in Europe - I don't feel that there is any barrier to me achieving what I want to do. Of course in reality there are the cupboard racists, the ones who would rather see Irish people doing a job than some blow-in, the UKIP "where did I put my brain this time" crowd - but that's par for the course.

I pretty much can take on a notion and bowl along happily without ever thinking about race. If I wanted to apply to Cambridge in the morning - sure, why wouldn't I?

I suspect if I were an African American in America - I would have certain thoughts about race, when I was considering education and career - even down to things like going to a "black" University - over here we just go to Uni.

So in answer to the OP's question, which is not as ridiculous as some people are trying to make it out to be - these are different experiences. Being black in America poses a lot more hurdles than being black in Europe or pretty much anywhere else. African Americans are not necessarily lazy - the system is weighed against them - they have to work harder, have more self confidence to even mentally get through the challenges; or they don't even have the heart to start trying because they have seen what their parents/family/peers have had to / are coping with.

My brother once got stopped by a racist copper in London (brother was driving a brand new company car). This dude was so incensed and caused so many problems for my brother for years - ended up in court, luckily brother's company hired a barrister because of the sheer racism of the whole thing.

That was a once in a lifetime "really?" like, really?" kind of moment for us.

It seems in 'Merica - this is an everyday occurrence for black people.

Thanks for posting:D Do you not think that black Americans could do better but dont because of peer pressure. I mean if a black American ( I have seen it with blacks from other countries too ) is seen to be doing well they are seen as a sell out " Unkle Tom " " Orio " " Coconut " & other black people will go out of there way to bring them " back down to their level ".

I know people on here are trying to make out theres some underlying racist intention from my post ( My cousins were probably the first non white kids to live in Tipperary ) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

That's quite a claim without any stats to back it up...yet again.

I say we should just leave the thread at WildSaffron's post and head out into the sunshine.

• Advertisement

Ah come on now really? The literacy rate in sub-Saharan Africa is roughly 59%, in the US it's 98/99% although I suspect this may be slightly over exaggerated as functional illiteracy is phenomenally high across parts of the US so I would round this down to 90-94% in reality(source: UNESCO Institute for Statistics).Even taking aside the issues of functional illiteracy etc. it's quite clear that your average black person in the US is far better educated than your average black person in Africa. Also this is just literacy, I haven't touched on any other facets of education. To claim otherwise is just head in the sand stuff.

As an aside why the obsession with the educational attainment of black people in the US versus elsewhere? Why not black Irish people which is surely a more relevant point on an Irish forum.

I didnt think we had to just talk about Irish subjects. I would say black Irish people would get the same education as any other person. I know my cousins did back in the later 80s & their children have had no problems.

dav3 wrote: »
    That's quite a claim without any stats to back it up...yet again.

I say we should just leave the thread at WildSaffron's post and head out into the sunshine.

Well if you go to an African country the kids walk for miles to go to school, they want knowledge. OK the level of education is not up to the standards of the US but if you put a 12 year old from a village in Africa up against a 12 year old from say Harlem in a spelling contest I know who I'd put my money on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Thanks for posting:D Do you not think that black Americans could do better but dont because of peer pressure. I mean if a black American ( I have seen it with blacks from other countries too ) is seen to be doing well they are seen as a sell out " Unkle Tom " " Orio " " Coconut " & other black people will go out of there way to bring them " back down to their level ".

I know people on here are trying to make out theres some underlying racist intention from my post ( My cousins were probably the first non white kids to live in Tipperary ) :rolleyes:

Is this not the type of thing you'll see in Ireland too? Begrudgery based on circumstance? 'Would you look at your man over there after getting too big for his boots. It was far from fine wine that he was raised!'

You're going to have problems with educational achievement in terms of people from deprived areas - it would be a big issue over here too. In America, there's going to be a high proportion of black people living in deprived areas. Factor in the exorbitant costs of college over in the States and it can be easy to see why it would be a pipe dream for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

This alt-right versus-the-world shit is poisoning After Hours. Can there be some sort of containment thread for all this SJW/Libtard/Cuck stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Oh, a liberal attacking the poster rather than the post... colour me surprised.

Seriously, she's clearly a walking, talking troll. Talk about playing right into her hands. The best anyone can do with an LON is ignore her.

• Advertisement

This alt-right versus-the-world shit is poisoning After Hours. Can there be some sort of containment thread for all this SJW/Libtard/Cuck stuff?

Who's Alt-right?? Also you dont need a safe space, you can just exit the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭WildSaffron

I am not sure, Help!!!

I suppose a lot of it depends on the family dynamics (fear gives birth to fear). If the family read a lot and impress the importance of education, the children will see that as their natural birthright.

I suppose it also depends where you are brought up.

This also manifests itself in families of different colours/ethnicities as someone mentioned earlier - someone once said to me in Ballinasloe (in the Whesht of Ireland :) ) that they would rather see me come in and do well as opposed to one of their own trying to get "above themselves" - was quite shocked to hear that - but guess that is the reality all over the place.

The mindset you put into a child is what is important - am lucky that my father always said to me "education is your mother and father" and I naturally followed education - read a LOT - opened up my mind to possibilities etc.

Sometimes it takes me months to recognise that someone is being racist or insulting me - I just don't look for it lol! I imagine I am quite frustrating for all out racists ha ha..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

The worst is when you lose IRL friends to this poppycock. It's very possible to ignore it especially if you don't use Twitter and aren't in college!

I am not sure, Help!!!

I suppose a lot of it depends on the family dynamics (fear gives birth to fear). If the family read a lot and impress the importance of education, the children will see that as their natural birthright.

I suppose it also depends where you are brought up.

This also manifests itself in families of different colours/ethnicities as someone mentioned earlier - someone once said to me in Ballinasloe (in the Whesht of Ireland :) ) that they would rather see me come in and do well as opposed to one of their own trying to get "above themselves" - was quite shocked to hear that - but guess that is the reality all over the place.

The mindset you put into a child is what is important - am lucky that my father always said to me "education is your mother and father" and I naturally followed education - read a LOT - opened up my mind to possibilities etc.

Sometimes it takes me months to recognise that someone is being racist or insulting me - I just don't look for it lol! I imagine I am quite frustrating for all out racists ha ha..

Good for you, where are you from? I watch a bit of Tommy Sotomayor on youtube, he reckons it has to do with " black women " having kids by different fathers etc.

Who's Alt-right?? Also you dont need a safe space, you can just exit the thread
    tenor.gif

tenor.gif

Exactly!!

oneilla wrote: »
    The worst is when you lose IRL friends to this poppycock. It's very possible to ignore it especially if you don't use Twitter and aren't in college!

Is it actually happening in real life? I thought it was confined to the perpetually outraged internet keyboard masher.

Dear oh dear.

Is it actually happening in real life? I thought it was confined to the perpetually outraged internet keyboard masher.

Dear oh dear.

Yes. I met someone recently who used the phrase "POC" as if it was totally normal and I know of another who will happily rant IRL about SJWs as if there was a real life faction threatening people. It's very sad on both accounts.

Yes. I met someone recently who used the phrase "POC" as if it was totally normal and I know of another who will happily rant IRL about SJWs as if there was a real life faction threatening people. It's very sad on both accounts.

Whats a POC or IRL?

Whats a POC or IRL?

Lol, kid on! I bet you know all the lingo!!

• Advertisement

No seriously, I thought you were talking about Irish friends when you put IRL :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

It's not even Alt Right lingo though, you're confusing sides!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Good for you, where are you from? I watch a bit of Tommy Sotomayor on youtube, he reckons it has to do with " black women " having kids by different fathers etc.

Well Tommy has a very simplistic view of socio - economic factors that can influence opportunity for populations. The reasons are complex and it does not start with someone having kids with multiple partners. Frankly I would consider someone with opinions like that to be a little bigoted

It's not even Alt Right lingo though, you're confusing sides!

Both sides know each other's buzzwords!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

OK. This threads tells me that a small number of foreign guys; who are from backgrounds that is statistically not great from their own counterparts of African descent; are students in a big famous university in England. I'd say good for them.

I think their intentions are noble and sensible to say that their fellow counterparts from their home country in Africa can be able to dream big and to think outside of their own box if they want to get a decent education in life. These guys say their message in a much easier environment while being University students in the UK compared to what is experienced by the same people and possibly more attending college in the US.

There is a small cohort of vile people out there with racist tendencies in the world today who seemingly want to bash Black people at every opportunity they get and in a lot of cases it's very sad to see it happen in real life right in front of you. People like that are a blight on society's way of life. It is rare for racist attacks to happen in Ireland but when it's elsewhere in the US more so than in the UK it can be a highly charged issue for everyone involved.

I wish the guys well in their studies at Cambridge. I hope they have a great future ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭pangbang

I am black African (don't tell my mother - she has a nervous disposition).

Went to some good schools - scholarships on the main.

For me personally I find the African history and background is very different to that of the Caribbean / West Indies background and again very different to the African American experience.

Don't forget that racism is still thriving in America - why did Barack have such a rough ride? The "Nobamas" calling his wife a "monkey"? and getting away with it?

In my dealings with African Americans I feel they are still very aware that their world is weighted against them, not for them.

In Europe people with darker skin have an easier time - we are dealing with old, well matured cultures that have had centuries of dealing with migrations etc.

So as a black person in Europe - I don't feel that there is any barrier to me achieving what I want to do. Of course in reality there are the cupboard racists, the ones who would rather see Irish people doing a job than some blow-in, the UKIP "where did I put my brain this time" crowd - but that's par for the course.

I pretty much can take on a notion and bowl along happily without ever thinking about race. If I wanted to apply to Cambridge in the morning - sure, why wouldn't I?

I suspect if I were an African American in America - I would have certain thoughts about race, when I was considering education and career - even down to things like going to a "black" University - over here we just go to Uni.

So in answer to the OP's question, which is not as ridiculous as some people are trying to make it out to be - these are different experiences. Being black in America poses a lot more hurdles than being black in Europe or pretty much anywhere else. African Americans are not necessarily lazy - the system is weighed against them - they have to work harder, have more self confidence to even mentally get through the challenges; or they don't even have the heart to start trying because they have seen what their parents/family/peers have had to / are coping with.

My brother once got stopped by a racist copper in London (brother was driving a brand new company car). This dude was so incensed and caused so many problems for my brother for years - ended up in court, luckily brother's company hired a barrister because of the sheer racism of the whole thing.

That was a once in a lifetime "really?" like, really?" kind of moment for us.

It seems in 'Merica - this is an everyday occurrence for black people.

I agree with most of what you said, but the bolded part of your statement is whack-a-doodle to me.

Are you saying that its wrong or bad for an irish person, in Ireland, to prefer an irish person to work an irish job in Ireland rather than a "blow-in" not from Ireland?

Is that what youre saying, just to be clear?

dirtyden wrote: »
    Well Tommy has a very simplistic view of socio - economic factors that can influence opportunity for populations. The reasons are complex and it does not start with someone having kids with multiple partners. Frankly I would consider someone with opinions like that to be a little bigoted

Well maybe Tommy has this view because he has seen it first hand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I misinterpreted the thread title :o
    I thought there was 14 students taking a course in blackmail. I'd be brilliant at that. It's as simple as getting a decent camera,get a few snaps of some married family man with his arse bobbing up and down on top of some local skank and boom,you've got yerself a degree! That would be sweet.Although it would be most likely that there would be a significant drop off in students choosing to study art...

I misinterpreted the thread title :o
    I thought there was 14 students taking a course in blackmail. I'd be brilliant at that. It's as simple as getting a decent camera,get a few snaps of some married family man with his arse bobbing up and down on top of some local skank and boom,you've got yerself a degree! That would be sweet.Although it would be most likely that there would be a significant drop off in students choosing to study art...

You might get students that never want to leave though;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Where does ability, suitability for 3rd level education come into it OP

Advertisement