Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14 black male students in Cambridge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Sorry for being so white and cis.

Ah, why would you be sorry, you're killing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So 14 college people on posing for a photograph is News these day ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

These two facts are unrelated :confused:

Saying roddy collins used manage Cambridge United is more relevant??
    At least it's in the same country?

Is Roddy Collins a black man!? If he was, and he was African and he got into a University then we're getting somewhere :PAC:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Gatling wrote: »
    So 14 college people on posing for a photograph is News these day ,

I think the OP is just saying that African Americans are lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Thought this would be an interesting tangent

Muslim teenager repeats '#Blacklivesmatter' 100 times on Stanford application and is accepted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Help!!!! wrote: »
    You look at the African Americans & the crap they have to put up with. Not from racist/fascist/white supremacist/KKK/white privilege but from liberal/SJW's/white feminists/white apologists. They are constantly being told that the system is against them that white people have an advantage over them etc. Strange how Asians & Africans in America can beat the system. Keep telling someone they will never make it & they stop trying. The focus should be on encouraging the African Americans to put in the hard work to get better education & clean up their neighbourhoods.
    The following 2 videos really show the idiocy that African Americans have to put up with...

You think black people actually listen to white people talking shìte? Even white people don't listen to white people talking shìte!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Help!!!! wrote:
    Unrelated?? OK maybe its a little early in the day for you so I'll try again. Forget about the logistics You have black people from 2 different continents & the ones on the poorest do better in education than the ones on possibly the richest one. Why is that??

Would you believe me if I told you not one of those black guys in Cambridge are poor?

Cop on OP, you ****ed up in your initial post, just admit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

It's all just middle class white people wanting to virtue signal for social cachet. There's a fcuking epidemic of it in western society. Louise O'Neill posted recently after she seen Moonlight and said that it was good to see a film about black people as it wasn't just white people that have stories to tell. These people are as dumb as you can get but yet they think they are profound and progressive. Arsehats the whole lot of them.

You're obsessed with LON. It illustrates why all newspaper have clickbait writers on their staff now. It works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

You look at the African Americans & the crap they have to put up with. Not from racist/fascist/white supremacist/KKK/white privilege...

No of course not. The slavery, the lynching, the hangings, the discrimination, the segregation, the everyday racism is not a patch on what they have to put up with from normal people these days.

We all look forward to your next irrelevant sh*t-stirring post OP. Make it a better one next time.

So edgy OP, so edgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

I think it's been shown in studies (would need to do some searching as it has been a while) that basically black people have to work a lot harder to prove themselves and get on in predominantly white countries. I have no problem believing that. Basically, an average intelligence white dude or dudette will get farther than an intellectually equivalent black person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From what I gather from the link....black guys are encouraging black guys to apply to a University that apparently is "traditionally" a "honky" University.
    Just about all universities are tradtitionally "honky" universities. The very concept of a university is a "honky" idea. Where they exist outside Europe at all, they are a colonial legacy - even such august institutions as Harvard, which was named after an English immigrant preacher who bequeathed money and books to start it.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I think I can help the discussion by adding some irrelevant information.
    Years ago I went to Trinity College, Cambridge .... for a week. It was a course held during the college holidays.
    The drinks in the student bar were unbelievably cheap. We wrote our orders on a matchbox and got drunk every night.
    Isn't that where they ran around in Chariots Of Fire?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 864 ✭✭✭neverever1

I'd say the majority that go to Cambridge are people you'd want to avoid, be they black or white. The same as Trinity here.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Africans & Asians in America do better academically than African American & better in life in terms of employment etc.
    Might this be because many African & Asian immigrants come from better off backgrounds, with better education, financing and connections?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The guy in the white jacket with the black and red stripe looks like a time traveller from the 90s.

diomed wrote: »
    I think I can help the discussion by adding some irrelevant information.
    Years ago I went to Trinity College, Cambridge .... for a week. It was a course held during the college holidays.
    The drinks in the student bar were unbelievably cheap. We wrote our orders on a matchbox and got drunk every night.
    Isn't that where they ran around in Chariots Of Fire?

And were there any African-Americans getting drunk with you? I bet there wasn't because they were too busy complaining about 'barriers' like poverty…

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 864 ✭✭✭neverever1

And were there any African-Americans getting drunk with you? I bet there wasn't because they were too busy complaining about 'barriers' like poverty…

I think more likely that the black guys were off with some young ones showing off what they got! Big brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

bnt wrote: »
    The very concept of a university is a "honky" idea.

Oldest University in the world is Morrocan..........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

SJW's and snowflakes

Which snowflakes would that be ? The extreme left or extreme right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Murrisk wrote: »
    You're obsessed with LON.

Oh, a liberal attacking the poster rather than the post... colour me surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

dav3 wrote: »
    No of course not. The slavery, the lynching, the hangings, the discrimination, the segregation, the everyday racism is not a patch on what they have to put up with from normal people these days.

We all look forward to your next irrelevant sh*t-stirring post OP. Make it a better one next time.

So edgy OP, so edgy.

What are you on about? AFAIK there's been no lynchings/segregation for decades. Everyday racism?? So how long do we use these excuses for?

Oh, a liberal attacking the poster rather than the post... colour me surprised.

Oh, someone calling a poster a liberal. On an Irish site no less… back in my day it was all blueshirts and smelly crusties. None of this alt-right fascists and liberal snowflakes nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

If anyone would like an actually interesting take on the issue of African Americans in higher education I'd highly recommend anything by Dr. Thomas Sowell (if you can endure the annoying penchant for his fans to tack on some classical music to make it sound more 'smart').

Setting that aside, there there an actual issue people want to discuss like racial quotas, the African-American v. Asian-American experience, drop-out statistics; or are we just vaguely jousting at each other as being racist/cucks/snowflakes/fascists?

If anyone would like an actually interesting take on the issue of African Americans in higher education I'd highly recommend anything by Dr. Thomas Sowell (if you can endure the annoying penchant for his fans to tack on some classical music to make it sound more 'smart').

Setting that aside, there there an actual issue people want to discuss like racial quotas, the African-American v. Asian-American experience, drop-out statistics; or are we just vaguely jousting at each other as being racist/cucks/snowflakes/fascists?

You're right, it would have been an interesting topic other than the fact that the OP was a load of crap.

pilly wrote: »
    You're right, it would have been an interesting topic other than the fact that the OP was a load of crap.

Interesting enough to have you post something about it

I think the OP is just saying that African Americans are lazy.

Actually no. I think they have been told they are the victims for so long that they kind of just skate through life thinking they will never be anything so why bother.
    An Irish example would be the travellers. Traveller kids are not encouraged to to do better in education. " Ah sure its their culture "

Thomas Sowell was talking 27years ago about the problems that America is having now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVvnTByzTmA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

What are you on about? AFAIK there's been no lynchings/segregation for decades. Everyday racism?? So how long do we use these excuses for?

Who says anything about making excuses?
    You look at the African Americans & the crap they have to put up with.

I imagine what I have listed would play a large part in the 'crap they have to put up with'.

What is it that has you so annoyed? Is it 'African Americans' or the 14 blacked lads in the picture you posted that you claim are 'Africans' from Cambridge England?

What has you so riled up on a sunny Wednesday afternoon that you just had to post this nonsense on an Irish forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Actually no. I think they have been told they are the victims for so long that they kind of just skate through life thinking they will never be anything so why bother.
    An Irish example would be the travellers. Traveller kids are not encouraged to to do better in education. " Ah sure its their culture "

Thomas Sowell was talking 27years ago about the problems that America is having now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVvnTByzTmA

Finally, I've spent months trying to get fellow boardsies to take a trip on the Sowell-plane.

Help!!!! wrote:
    Interesting enough to have you post something about it

Not interesting, just amusing when someone makes a total tit of themselves. Gave me a giggle that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭WildSaffron

I am black African (don't tell my mother - she has a nervous disposition).

Went to some good schools - scholarships on the main.

For me personally I find the African history and background is very different to that of the Caribbean / West Indies background and again very different to the African American experience.

Don't forget that racism is still thriving in America - why did Barack have such a rough ride? The "Nobamas" calling his wife a "monkey"? and getting away with it?

In my dealings with African Americans I feel they are still very aware that their world is weighted against them, not for them.

In Europe people with darker skin have an easier time - we are dealing with old, well matured cultures that have had centuries of dealing with migrations etc.

So as a black person in Europe - I don't feel that there is any barrier to me achieving what I want to do. Of course in reality there are the cupboard racists, the ones who would rather see Irish people doing a job than some blow-in, the UKIP "where did I put my brain this time" crowd - but that's par for the course.

I pretty much can take on a notion and bowl along happily without ever thinking about race. If I wanted to apply to Cambridge in the morning - sure, why wouldn't I?

I suspect if I were an African American in America - I would have certain thoughts about race, when I was considering education and career - even down to things like going to a "black" University - over here we just go to Uni.

So in answer to the OP's question, which is not as ridiculous as some people are trying to make it out to be - these are different experiences. Being black in America poses a lot more hurdles than being black in Europe or pretty much anywhere else. African Americans are not necessarily lazy - the system is weighed against them - they have to work harder, have more self confidence to even mentally get through the challenges; or they don't even have the heart to start trying because they have seen what their parents/family/peers have had to / are coping with.

My brother once got stopped by a racist copper in London (brother was driving a brand new company car). This dude was so incensed and caused so many problems for my brother for years - ended up in court, luckily brother's company hired a barrister because of the sheer racism of the whole thing.

That was a once in a lifetime "really?" like, really?" kind of moment for us.

It seems in 'Merica - this is an everyday occurrence for black people.

Advertisement