Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maldron Roundabout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

marathont wrote: »
    I have been pulled by a Garda for doing this. I know someone else who got penalty points for doing this on the Whitford roundabout. Eventhough I didnt think it was breaking any rules.

I call bull on that, you are not breaking any rules. No way they can do you for anything on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

I call bull on that, you are not breaking any rules. No way they can do you for anything on that.

The garda followed for me 3 or 4 miles, then decided to pull me over. He said he was doing me for driving without due care and attention I think. I said I didnt think it was breaking the rules, he said I was causing everyone else to have to wait in the qeue longer. I never actually got the penalty points. But I was talking to someone else, who said the same happened and they got penalty points, I think 1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

According to the list of penalty points offences on the RSA website, there's an offence of "Failure to obey requirements at junctions, e.g. Not being in the correct lane when turning onto another road".

It brings one penalty point, like marathont says he thinks the other person he knows got.

Would seem to me like it could apply in cases like this one.

For what it's worth, would also seem to me that if this sort of carry-on is not already an offence (approaching a roundabout in the right-hand lane when you actually intend to go left, and then going all the way round to what becomes the fifth exit), then it bloody well should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

The garda followed for me 3 or 4 miles, then decided to pull me over. He said he was doing me for driving without due care and attention I think. I said I didnt think it was breaking the rules, he said I was causing everyone else to have to wait in the qeue longer. I never actually got the penalty points. But I was talking to someone else, who said the same happened and they got penalty points, I think 1.

So what if everyone else had to wait longer, you did not break the rules of the road. If you needed to go back the way you came, i.e. taking the 4th exit, would that be breaking the rules? If you missed your exit, or didn't know where you were going and weren't sure which exit to take, and ended up driving around a 2nd time, on what basis could they give you penalty points?

The reason you never received the penalty points is the gombeen Garda got back to the station and explained to the super what you did and was told you did not break the rules of the road and couldn't get penalty points for it. Sounds like you drove with due care and attention if you ask me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The problem is that a significant amount of people approaching the roundabout to take the right hand lane, cross over the continuous white line, regardless of what exit they intend to take

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

The problem is that a significant amount of people approaching the roundabout to take the right hand lane, cross over the continuous white line, regardless of what exit they intend to take

Yes, I agree crossing the white line into oncoming traffic is not acceptable. I even saw Wexford bus 52 seater doing this, forcing on-coming traffic onto the hard shoulder.

However, I think if there is 20 cars in the left lane, and none in the right line, it seems a very inefficient use of road space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Yes, I agree crossing the white line into oncoming traffic is not acceptable. I even saw Wexford bus 52 seater doing this, forcing on-coming traffic onto the hard shoulder.

However, I think if there is 20 cars in the left lane, and none in the right line, it seems a very inefficient use of road space.

And if you are in the left hand lane, cars behind expect you to move over and drive in the hard shoulder as if it is a lane. I'm not doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And if you are in the left hand lane, cars behind expect you to move over and drive in the hard shoulder as if it is a lane. I'm not doing that

Same.

It's also a penalty point offence

Just to clarify (not that it makes any difference to the point I made earlier) - you're all mostly or fully talking about approaching the roundabout from the Whitford side?

I use that roundabout every working day too, but on the way to work, I'm coming up from Ferrycarrig and taking the first exit (towards the racecourse/hospital), and then in the evening, I'm coming back from the racecourse/hospital side too, to take what's then the third exit for me, to head back towards Ferrycarrig.

But as I say, that makes no difference to my earlier point about how there's a penalty point offence for not being in the correct lane at a junction....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Azatadine

People were turning around on the road this evening! Between oncoming traffic. 15 mins wait between the roundabouts....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

There aren't really two lanes though.

Azatadine wrote: »
    People were turning around on the road this evening! Between oncoming traffic. 15 mins wait between the roundabouts....

I think the worst thing about the roadworks and the delays they cause is how it's so unpredictable. Was stuck for almost half an hour when heading towards Wexford around 9 a.m. yesterday. Heading back up the road yesterday evening, was at the Maldron Roundabout at 5 p.m., but it was 5.35 p.m. before I got to the other side of Ferrycarrig.

Then this morning, the delay on the way down is only six minutes. As I say, just completely unpredictable....

Yeah. There have been people commenting on this thread saying that its only a few minutes and to get over it. It isn't a few minutes. It can be 30 mins. Especially from now on.

Yeah. There have been people commenting on this thread saying that its only a few minutes and to get over it. It isn't a few minutes. It can be 30 mins. Especially from now on.

It was about 10 minutes, different now with roadworks, but it'll go back to about 10 minutes IME

Doesn't excuse it btw, there should be a dedicated left turning lane, end of. But the county council will do nothing about it

In fairness, the delays around Ferrycarrig that are being caused by the current roadworks, and the sort of delays back at the Maldron roundabout that gave rise to this thread in the first place, are two different things.

It just so happened yesterday evening that one of them caused a tailback as far as the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

vicwatson wrote: »
    It was about 10 minutes, different now with roadworks, but it'll go back to about 10 minutes IME

Doesn't excuse it btw, there should be a dedicated left turning lane, end of. But the county council will do nothing about it

Would be the NRA's gig I'd say. They need to be getting complaints.

Back to disastrous queues again....25 mins from Rosslare roundabout to Barntown. Wait until the New Ross bypass opens...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭webpal

I kept an eye on this last summer as it drives me cracked, usually occurs within 20-30 mins of a boat docking. So if I'm going to hit that traffic, I drive out to drinagh garden center, head for piercestown, Johnstown castle, mountain bar over forth mountain and come out at larkins cross. Sounds a lot but takes 15 mins.

If you chance it, you can always turn off at rathaspeck and turn right at mountain bar and so on.

If I have to be somewhere at a certain time after work I take that route.

Worst time, which is probably obvious, is if a boat docks around 4:30-5 which would coincide with rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 wexfordman2040

There's going to be a bad crash there first of all before those responsible get the finger out. It'll take 10 years of planning and a major car pile up with copious injuries first before anything is done.

Looks like the New Ross bypass will be open in November. It'll be interesting to see what the knock on impact at the Maldron will be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Looks like the New Ross bypass will be open in November. It'll be interesting to see what the knock on impact at the Maldron will be.

very little if anything at all?

bruschi wrote: »
    very little if anything at all?

Would you not expect traffic that may have been slowed up in NR to get to the Maldron quicker in the evening now?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Would you not expect traffic that may have been slowed up in NR to get to the Maldron quicker in the evening now?

I've never thought that the issue was the traffic coming from the Ross direction, it always seems to be a north/south issue rather than traffic coming from a west direction. Plus the bypass is not going to eliminate numbers, it just for some motorists bypasses Ross and I'm not sure how much traffic that is on the Maldron would be affected by the bypass road one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Likewise I don't see the New Ross project opening having any appreciable effect of traffic numbers at the Maldron roundabout.

However the Enniscorthy bypass/M11 might see southbound traffic that normally turned off at J23 to avoid the Enniscorthy bridge hold ups, and came down the coast road, staying on M11/N11 to Wexford.

In any case the roundabout is unable to handle the capacity of traffic at peak times and some action needs to be taken quickly. A northbound slip road to Barntown would be an obvious relief. Some really dangerous U turns being performed lately combined with some drivers turning the two lane road into a three lane.

MichealD wrote: »
    Likewise I don't see the New Ross project opening having any appreciable effect of traffic numbers at the Maldron roundabout.

However the Enniscorthy bypass/M11 might see southbound traffic that normally turned off at J23 to avoid the Enniscorthy bridge hold ups, and came down the coast road, staying on M11/N11 to Wexford.

In any case the roundabout is unable to handle the capacity of traffic at peak times and some action needs to be taken quickly. A northbound slip road to Barntown would be an obvious relief. Some really dangerous U turns being performed lately combined with some drivers turning the two lane road into a three lane.

Gardai there every evening mon-fri for a couple of weeks, ticket the crap out of offenders and a marked difference will be noted with the idiots turning one lane into two and overtaking on double continuous white lines. Won’t solve the volume issue but might make idiots sit up and obey the rules of the road. I’d guess at least 75% of these are the same every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭blackwave

Just curious, what's the traffic like in the mornings now coming from the New Ross side?

Not too bad at the Maldron but can be bad at the Whitford.

This is atrocious traffic.....a change to the directions on the roundabouts would have a hugely positive impact.

Has the new Enniscorthy bypass actually managed to make it even worse? Backed up from Maldon roundabout to Rosslare roundabout these evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Has the new Enniscorthy bypass actually managed to make it even worse? Backed up from Maldon roundabout to Rosslare roundabout these evenings.

Yep cos Gorey traffic now coming down via Oilgate and not the old coast road and across Wexford bridge.

Advertisement