Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maldron Roundabout

Options
  • 02-05-2017 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭

Are there any plans to upgrade the roundabout at the Maldron Hotel at all? It's an absolute nightmare in the evenings these days and not helped one bit by people who jump the queue by driving up the 'right turn' lane and cutting in/going straight at the roundabout.

Same carry on at the Whitford too but not quite as bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Not sure how you'd upgrade the roundabout to be honest -

- Traffic lights might better serve peaks hours but would be a pain for the other 22+ hours of the day.

- Expanding to three lanes at the roundabout is the only other alternative... that'd cost a fair bit, claiming land might be an obstacle too. I can also see it
    potentially causing more chaos given that a significant portion of drivers don't have a clue how to navigate a simple roundabout.

Personally I think that the roundabout serves the traffic correctly, congestion at peaks hours is just a pain that you associate with many first world countries.

As to those who do it - If you're going to drive up the right lane to bypass traffic, at least do a full cycle of the roundabout... it's somewhat more legal and less dangerous/obnoxious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

When you approach the Maldron Roundabout from the Whitford side, drivers come up the outside of you forcing others to use inside the hard shoulder as a lane, which it is not. I don't give in to those bullies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I don't give way to them either. No way.

I'd move over... no point in holding up a car that might be on its way to Wexford Hospital for example.

Fortunately, I'm rarely there at "rush hour".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I'd move over... no point in holding up a car that might be on its way to Wexford Hospital for example.

Fortunately, I'm rarely there at "rush hour".

A hard shoulder is not for driving in. When the hard shoulder narrows as you approach the roundabout, these feckers, just drift back in to the road without indicating as if it is their right.

• Advertisement

OK, so grievances aside - what's the proposed cure?

Make the feeder lanes one lane up to about three car lengths where it opens up at the roundabout? Make the roundabout one entrance lane only? It's the people shooting up the right hand lane and cutting in or going around the roundabout 360 degrees that plays hell with it!

Maybe a one lane feeder off to the left so people going left don't need to go to the roundabout at all? Cost to that option though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Cortecs wrote: »
    Are there any plans to upgrade the roundabout at the Maldron Hotel at all? It's an absolute nightmare in the evenings these days and not helped one bit by people who jump the queue by driving up the 'right turn' lane and cutting in/going straight at the roundabout.

Same carry on at the Whitford too but not quite as bad.

Badly need Gardai at that point for 1 hour Mon-Friday at rush hour for about a month to cut this out, its an accident waiting to happen, the right turning lane is clearly a right turn only but bad bad bad drivers all of a sudden want to go left on the roundabout.

I've seen a couple of cars being pulled by Gardai in my time.

They badly need to push in on to the hard shoulder and create a new lane for the N25, plenty of space there, plenty. But will they?, will they **** !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

How long are you stuck there? Is it 5 of 10 minutes? Put on some music and relax.

longshanks wrote: »
    How long are you stuck there? Is it 5 of 10 minutes? Put on some music and relax.

Hey poster stop queue skipping at the roundabout ok?

• Advertisement

A hard shoulder is not for driving in. When the hard shoulder narrows as you approach the roundabout, these feckers, just drift back in to the road without indicating as if it is their right.

It's also a two penalty point offence so I'm not doing it, though everyone else on the road seems to risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

vicwatson wrote: »
    Badly need Gardai at that point for 1 hour Mon-Friday at rush hour for about a month to cut this out...

They were there last evening as I came upon them after they had just caught an offender. Unmarked cop car.

Hi Gardai (Gardai reading this thread lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

RadioRetro wrote: »
    They were there last evening as I came upon them after they had just caught an offender. Unmarked cop car.
    they are there fairly regularly , there are two problems , first one is as has been stated , people coming up in the right hand lane and going straight on .Second one is , a lot of drivers are afraid of their life to pull out even if the nearest car is a safe distance away or when there is a gap they are yapping to someone in the car and the hand brake is pulled tighter than a guitar string and by the time they realize it is fine to go they have missed the chance
    similar problems at the lights at the bridge , when the lights go green and the car in front moves you dont have to leave a 100 mtr gap before you move , drive on be fcuked so maybe more than two or three cars will get too go before the lights change

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Missent

Saw a good example this afternoon. Small commercial van with Waterford registration and logo about delivering products safely on the back. Came from Rosslare direction into the Whitford roundabout where it took the right hand lane and then went straight on. Obviously heading to New Ross, it came to the Maldron roundabout where it again used the right hand lane, did the loop-the-loop and headed to New Ross. As a regular legitimate user of the right hand lane at the Maldron heading into Wexford, I've been noting in recent weeks that every non-WX registered car who uses the right hand lane at the Maldron roundabout is not heading into Wexford town. Haven't been wrong yet.

Well, it's now extended to the Whitford roundabout...the last 2 evenings the traffic has been queued right back to the Johnstown Castle turn off from the Whitford roundabout.. it's now a complete disaster!! Think I'll start going back roads over Forth Mountain as bad as those roads are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

It isn't that bad. Last few days there has been about 5 minutes delay at each round-about. It is hardly approaching M50 levels of delay yet.

Dunno what time you're travelling at but 5 mins is not my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Cortecs wrote: »
    Dunno what time you're travelling at but 5 mins is not my experience.

Peak time - about 08.45 and just after 17.00

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Well yesterday afternoon at 17:15 it had stretched all the way from the Whitford roundabout back across the face of the Johnstown junction.

And prepare yourselves because once the tourist season begins in earnest its only going to get worse. Stenaline changing their timetable next week means the Ferry from Fishguard will now land in Rosslare at 16:25 which is going to add this traffic to peak traffic on the Town by pass. I can see delays across all the junctions increasing even longer.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

These tourists that get off the ferry and head straight to the South-West should be diverted through the scenic route Wexford - Waterford

These tourists that get off the ferry and head straight to the South-West should be diverted through the scenic route Wexford - Waterford

Been a known problem for decades and no one in their ivory towers has done anything about it

Traffic is gone to hell altogether there for the last couple of weeks. Apparently the ferry now arrives at 16.00 so that traffic is now hitting the roundabouts at 16.30 or so. Traffic was back to almost the Rosslare roundabout from Wbitford this evening at 17.15. Off to Murntown and over Forth Mountain for me and a good few others.

Was driving through the Maldron Roundabout only a week ago when an arsehole almost crashed into me as I attempted to exit for Enniscorthy and he decided to try and cut past me on the inside lane. Nothing to do with traffic jams, just pure stupidity... you come to expect it in this country as a significant number of drivers don't seem to have a clue how a roundabout works.

I've personally witnessed two crashes at the top of Bohreen Hill in Enniscorthy in the past 6 months, no surprise given the amount of near misses I witness on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ballystephen

Hi
    The other day was coming up to Waldron Hotel roundabout and stuck in a long line of traffic in the lane to turn left or straight on. The lane to turn right was completely empty. On I went to the Whitford roundabout. Exactly the same.
    Having lived in the UK for a while I notice over there , the lane to turn right is also the lane to go straight on too. It seems to me that by making these simple changes the traffic would flow much better for a very small cost.
    Why are we forced into the left turn lane to go straight on? It seems an obvious solution to me:)

Ha.. here you go, have a read of this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057735950

I almost got ploughed down by a car that seemed to think it was UK rules recently :-)

Most people can't figure out the current roundabout rules, so God helps us if they were to change them. They might be a national crisis as everyone is forced to retake their driving test.

No matter what you do, be careful at roundabouts in Ireland - its like the Wild West out there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Hi
    The other day was coming up to Waldron Hotel roundabout and stuck in a long line of traffic in the lane to turn left or straight on. The lane to turn right was completely empty. On I went to the Whitford roundabout. Exactly the same.
    Having lived in the UK for a while I notice over there , the lane to turn right is also the lane to go straight on too. It seems to me that by making these simple changes the traffic would flow much better for a very small cost.
    Why are we forced into the left turn lane to go straight on? It seems an obvious solution to me:)

fairly simply, because the exit road is only one lane. If you have 2 lanes going onto a roundabout and only one lane existing, then it will be even more carnage. You can get away with that sort of set up in slow moving patient urban traffic, but the traffic on that road is neither slow moving nor patient.

bruschi wrote: »
    fairly simply, because the exit road is only one lane. If you have 2 lanes going onto a roundabout and only one lane existing, then it will be even more carnage. You can get away with that sort of set up in slow moving patient urban traffic, but the traffic on that road is neither slow moving nor patient.

I initially thought his point was that the left approach lane would allow you to turn left only (?), no straight on. The right approach lane would serve as straight on or right. This would mean that when you're not having to yield to traffic, cars can head left, right and straight on at the same time.

Or is he saying that the left and right approach lanes can be used for straight on? That'd be chaos cos, like Bruschi said, only one exit lane and you end up with cars converging from left and right lanes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I initially thought his point was that the left approach lane would allow you to turn left only (?), no straight on. The right approach lane would serve as straight on or right. This would mean that when you're not having to yield to traffic, cars can head left, right and straight on at the same time.

Or is he saying that the left and right approach lanes can be used for straight on? That'd be chaos cos, like Bruschi said, only one exit lane and you end up with cars converging from left and right lanes.

yeah it could be that way alright, (as it is on the Ardkeen Hospital roundabout coming from Dunmore) if it was left only on the left lane. But all that would do is push the issue to the other lane and have everyone queuing in the right hand/straight on lane.

I just got the impression that it was mentioned the right hand lane was empty, so why not use that one as well as the left. There are plenty of roundabouts in the country where both lanes can be used to go straight on, however most would have 2 lanes on the exit.

• Advertisement

bruschi wrote: »
    I just got the impression that it was mentioned the right hand lane was empty, so why not use that one as well as the left. There are plenty of roundabouts in the country where both lanes can be used to go straight on, however most would have 2 lanes on the exit.

Yup, I agree. No easy fix here.

Advertisement