Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maldron Roundabout

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Azatadine wrote: »
    It's no secret....pisses me off tho.

Nothing illegal about it, just join them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Unless you have to cross continuous white lines on the approach to the roundabout to turn right. If you are at the point you don't have to do this, you might as well stick in the left hand lane

Unless you have to cross continuous white lines on the approach to the roundabout to turn right. If you are at the point you don't have to do this, you might as well stick in the left hand lane

Yeah don't break the rules of the road for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If you want another trick, then keep in the right turn lane and just go around the roundabout so you end up turning left. I'm giving away all my trade secrets.....

The right turning lane only begins maybe 50 meters ahead of the stop line.

Asshole 1. Car pretending to go right -
    Overtakes cars in lane on approach to the roundabout by overtaking on the continuous white line towards oncoming traffic

Asshole 2. Car going left -
    Tries undertaking a car in lane heading towards the roundabout

Major issue here 1. People no patience 2. People think there are 2 lanes along the approach to the roundabout - there is only one lane until about 50 metres to the entrance to the roundabout

Yes the co co, or whoever is responsible for that road, are to blame for not reconfiguring the area, but while it is like that drivers need to cop on and take responsibility for their lack of adherence to the rules of the road.

A GARDA at that roundabout for a week for an hour an evening would help sort the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I used the trick of turning right after the Whitford roundabout and coming out at side of the Maldron for a while but that's all backed up now these days too. I'd say the residents on that road don't know what's happened with the increase in traffic on that road now that so many people try to avoid the roundabout.

I used the trick of turning right after the Whitford roundabout and coming out at side of the Maldron for a while but that's all backed up now these days too. I'd say the residents on that road don't know what's happened with the increase in traffic on that road now that so many people try to avoid the roundabout.

Maybe get some patience, what exactly is the rush, it's tops 10 minutes out of your day. Jesus. Play some funky music, think, have a smoke, relax.

It's not 10 mins at rush hour....plus I have another 45 mins after that.

Besides, it's an issue that could be remedied by adjusting the lanes.

1850 715 815 is yer only man so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

If you want another trick, then keep in the right turn lane and just go around the roundabout so you end up turning left. I'm giving away all my trade secrets.....

I have been pulled by a Garda for doing this. I know someone else who got penalty points for doing this on the Whitford roundabout. Eventhough I didnt think it was breaking any rules.

• Advertisement

A lane to take traffic left just prior to the roundabout would solve all the problems there. I notice that's how the new roundabout outside New Ross is designed.

marathont wrote: »
    I have been pulled by a Garda for doing this. I know someone else who got penalty points for doing this on the Whitford roundabout. Eventhough I didnt think it was breaking any rules.

I call bull on that, you are not breaking any rules. No way they can do you for anything on that.

I call bull on that, you are not breaking any rules. No way they can do you for anything on that.

The garda followed for me 3 or 4 miles, then decided to pull me over. He said he was doing me for driving without due care and attention I think. I said I didnt think it was breaking the rules, he said I was causing everyone else to have to wait in the qeue longer. I never actually got the penalty points. But I was talking to someone else, who said the same happened and they got penalty points, I think 1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

According to the list of penalty points offences on the RSA website, there's an offence of "Failure to obey requirements at junctions, e.g. Not being in the correct lane when turning onto another road".

It brings one penalty point, like marathont says he thinks the other person he knows got.

Would seem to me like it could apply in cases like this one.

For what it's worth, would also seem to me that if this sort of carry-on is not already an offence (approaching a roundabout in the right-hand lane when you actually intend to go left, and then going all the way round to what becomes the fifth exit), then it bloody well should be.

The garda followed for me 3 or 4 miles, then decided to pull me over. He said he was doing me for driving without due care and attention I think. I said I didnt think it was breaking the rules, he said I was causing everyone else to have to wait in the qeue longer. I never actually got the penalty points. But I was talking to someone else, who said the same happened and they got penalty points, I think 1.

So what if everyone else had to wait longer, you did not break the rules of the road. If you needed to go back the way you came, i.e. taking the 4th exit, would that be breaking the rules? If you missed your exit, or didn't know where you were going and weren't sure which exit to take, and ended up driving around a 2nd time, on what basis could they give you penalty points?

The reason you never received the penalty points is the gombeen Garda got back to the station and explained to the super what you did and was told you did not break the rules of the road and couldn't get penalty points for it. Sounds like you drove with due care and attention if you ask me :)

The problem is that a significant amount of people approaching the roundabout to take the right hand lane, cross over the continuous white line, regardless of what exit they intend to take

• Advertisement

The problem is that a significant amount of people approaching the roundabout to take the right hand lane, cross over the continuous white line, regardless of what exit they intend to take

Yes, I agree crossing the white line into oncoming traffic is not acceptable. I even saw Wexford bus 52 seater doing this, forcing on-coming traffic onto the hard shoulder.

However, I think if there is 20 cars in the left lane, and none in the right line, it seems a very inefficient use of road space.

Yes, I agree crossing the white line into oncoming traffic is not acceptable. I even saw Wexford bus 52 seater doing this, forcing on-coming traffic onto the hard shoulder.

However, I think if there is 20 cars in the left lane, and none in the right line, it seems a very inefficient use of road space.

And if you are in the left hand lane, cars behind expect you to move over and drive in the hard shoulder as if it is a lane. I'm not doing that

And if you are in the left hand lane, cars behind expect you to move over and drive in the hard shoulder as if it is a lane. I'm not doing that

Same.

It's also a penalty point offence

Just to clarify (not that it makes any difference to the point I made earlier) - you're all mostly or fully talking about approaching the roundabout from the Whitford side?

I use that roundabout every working day too, but on the way to work, I'm coming up from Ferrycarrig and taking the first exit (towards the racecourse/hospital), and then in the evening, I'm coming back from the racecourse/hospital side too, to take what's then the third exit for me, to head back towards Ferrycarrig.

But as I say, that makes no difference to my earlier point about how there's a penalty point offence for not being in the correct lane at a junction....

People were turning around on the road this evening! Between oncoming traffic. 15 mins wait between the roundabouts....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

There aren't really two lanes though.

People were turning around on the road this evening! Between oncoming traffic. 15 mins wait between the roundabouts....

I think the worst thing about the roadworks and the delays they cause is how it's so unpredictable. Was stuck for almost half an hour when heading towards Wexford around 9 a.m. yesterday. Heading back up the road yesterday evening, was at the Maldron Roundabout at 5 p.m., but it was 5.35 p.m. before I got to the other side of Ferrycarrig.

Then this morning, the delay on the way down is only six minutes. As I say, just completely unpredictable....

Yeah. There have been people commenting on this thread saying that its only a few minutes and to get over it. It isn't a few minutes. It can be 30 mins. Especially from now on.

Yeah. There have been people commenting on this thread saying that its only a few minutes and to get over it. It isn't a few minutes. It can be 30 mins. Especially from now on.

It was about 10 minutes, different now with roadworks, but it'll go back to about 10 minutes IME

Doesn't excuse it btw, there should be a dedicated left turning lane, end of. But the county council will do nothing about it

In fairness, the delays around Ferrycarrig that are being caused by the current roadworks, and the sort of delays back at the Maldron roundabout that gave rise to this thread in the first place, are two different things.

It just so happened yesterday evening that one of them caused a tailback as far as the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

vicwatson wrote: »
    It was about 10 minutes, different now with roadworks, but it'll go back to about 10 minutes IME

Doesn't excuse it btw, there should be a dedicated left turning lane, end of. But the county council will do nothing about it

Would be the NRA's gig I'd say. They need to be getting complaints.

Back to disastrous queues again....25 mins from Rosslare roundabout to Barntown. Wait until the New Ross bypass opens...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭webpal

I kept an eye on this last summer as it drives me cracked, usually occurs within 20-30 mins of a boat docking. So if I'm going to hit that traffic, I drive out to drinagh garden center, head for piercestown, Johnstown castle, mountain bar over forth mountain and come out at larkins cross. Sounds a lot but takes 15 mins.

If you chance it, you can always turn off at rathaspeck and turn right at mountain bar and so on.

If I have to be somewhere at a certain time after work I take that route.

Worst time, which is probably obvious, is if a boat docks around 4:30-5 which would coincide with rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 wexfordman2040

There's going to be a bad crash there first of all before those responsible get the finger out. It'll take 10 years of planning and a major car pile up with copious injuries first before anything is done.

Looks like the New Ross bypass will be open in November. It'll be interesting to see what the knock on impact at the Maldron will be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Looks like the New Ross bypass will be open in November. It'll be interesting to see what the knock on impact at the Maldron will be.

very little if anything at all?

bruschi wrote: »
    very little if anything at all?

Would you not expect traffic that may have been slowed up in NR to get to the Maldron quicker in the evening now?

Would you not expect traffic that may have been slowed up in NR to get to the Maldron quicker in the evening now?

I've never thought that the issue was the traffic coming from the Ross direction, it always seems to be a north/south issue rather than traffic coming from a west direction. Plus the bypass is not going to eliminate numbers, it just for some motorists bypasses Ross and I'm not sure how much traffic that is on the Maldron would be affected by the bypass road one way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Likewise I don't see the New Ross project opening having any appreciable effect of traffic numbers at the Maldron roundabout.

However the Enniscorthy bypass/M11 might see southbound traffic that normally turned off at J23 to avoid the Enniscorthy bridge hold ups, and came down the coast road, staying on M11/N11 to Wexford.

In any case the roundabout is unable to handle the capacity of traffic at peak times and some action needs to be taken quickly. A northbound slip road to Barntown would be an obvious relief. Some really dangerous U turns being performed lately combined with some drivers turning the two lane road into a three lane.

MichealD wrote: »
    Likewise I don't see the New Ross project opening having any appreciable effect of traffic numbers at the Maldron roundabout.

However the Enniscorthy bypass/M11 might see southbound traffic that normally turned off at J23 to avoid the Enniscorthy bridge hold ups, and came down the coast road, staying on M11/N11 to Wexford.

In any case the roundabout is unable to handle the capacity of traffic at peak times and some action needs to be taken quickly. A northbound slip road to Barntown would be an obvious relief. Some really dangerous U turns being performed lately combined with some drivers turning the two lane road into a three lane.

Gardai there every evening mon-fri for a couple of weeks, ticket the crap out of offenders and a marked difference will be noted with the idiots turning one lane into two and overtaking on double continuous white lines. Won’t solve the volume issue but might make idiots sit up and obey the rules of the road. I’d guess at least 75% of these are the same every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

Just curious, what's the traffic like in the mornings now coming from the New Ross side?

Not too bad at the Maldron but can be bad at the Whitford.

This is atrocious traffic.....a change to the directions on the roundabouts would have a hugely positive impact.

Has the new Enniscorthy bypass actually managed to make it even worse? Backed up from Maldon roundabout to Rosslare roundabout these evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Has the new Enniscorthy bypass actually managed to make it even worse? Backed up from Maldon roundabout to Rosslare roundabout these evenings.

Yep cos Gorey traffic now coming down via Oilgate and not the old coast road and across Wexford bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Slightly related and discussed in this thread, but today I saw a van getting pulled over by a Garda car at the Whitford Roundabout. The Garda car was waiting on the far side of the roundabout on the Rosslare side. The van was traveling towards Rosslare, coming from the New Ross/Maldron roundabout. He used the right lane approaching the roundabout (as if he was taking the third exit), overtaking everyone waiting in the left lane and cut back into the left lane mid way around the roundabout.

The Garda car was obviously waiting there to catch this sort of thing. Its the first time I have seen anyone getting caught doing this. There must have been complaints prompting the presence of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Mini850 wrote: »
    He used the right lane approaching the roundabout (as if he was taking the third exit), overtaking everyone waiting in the left lane and cut back into the left lane mid way around the roundabout.

I had that done to me, fair frightened the sh1te out of me when the guy swept across me to make the exit. Glad your guy was nicked.

They are often there and for good reason too, drives me cracked when people do this. Happens every morning, guards can’t be there the whole time unfortunately

On a separate note, roundabouts have very quiet last few evenings northbound, probably cos stena boat has been late

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

webpal wrote: »
    They are often there and for good reason too, drives me cracked when people do this. Happens every morning, guards can’t be there the whole time unfortunately

I've seen them there twice, the first time I saw them was on my way home heading back home. Sitting in the same place. I thought they were there to watch out for people trying to make two lanes out of one on the opposite (Rosslare side) of that round about. Didn't see them catch anyone though

• Advertisement

webpal wrote: »
    On a separate note, roundabouts have very quiet last few evenings northbound, probably cos stena boat has been late

Noticed that alright and was wondering why!! Hope it's late every day from now until the end of time!

Its brutal altogether these days. 25 mins to get through the Whitford roundabout and Maldron roundabout in the evenings now after 4.45. I sometimes go over Forth Mountain but it's a bad road in the dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Changes to Lane Layout at N25 Whitford Roundabout
    From today, Thursday 23rd January 2020

Please be advised that the existing Lane Layout at the N25 Whitford Roundabout will be partially altered from today, Thursday the 23rd of January 2020.

For Traffic approaching the Whitford Roundabout coming from the Maldron Hotel direction, the Left Lane will be for left turning traffic only (R733 Wexford Town) and the Right Lane will be for all other directions (Straight On for N25 Rosslare Harbour & Right for R733 Duncannon.

WCC. GCPW

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Changes to Lane Layout at N25 Whitford Roundabout
    From today, Thursday 23rd January 2020

Please be advised that the existing Lane Layout at the N25 Whitford Roundabout will be partially altered from today, Thursday the 23rd of January 2020.

For Traffic approaching the Whitford Roundabout coming from the Maldron Hotel direction, the Left Lane will be for left turning traffic only (R733 Wexford Town) and the Right Lane will be for all other directions (Straight On for N25 Rosslare Harbour & Right for R733 Duncannon.

WCC. GCPW

This will be tricky for a bit, people in left lane will still go straight and then you’ve those on the roundabout taking the n25 exit - both trying to get into the one lane exit. Hopefully people read the road signs to prevent this. Of course a better solution would have been to build a dedicated left turn lane only (plenty of room for it too) but that would cost money.

vicwatson wrote: »
    This will be tricky for a bit, people in left lane will still go straight and then you’ve those on the roundabout taking the n25 exit - both trying to get into the one lane exit. Hopefully people read the road signs to prevent this. Of course a better solution would have been to build a dedicated left turn lane only (plenty of room for it too) but that would cost money.

I'm not sure you'd need three lanes coming into a roundabout. I dont know of many roundabouts that have 3 lanes entering it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement