Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which do you prefer Dub T1 or T2?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Locker10a wrote: »
    I think it's mentality, people on metro/underground are everyday communters and are public transport savvy, the problem you mention with the type of people in airports who cause blockages is they are the opposite of daily commuters and are ignorant/oblivious to other members of the public. They have, as mentioned herd mentality and are in "holiday mode" which often means the brain is all but shut down.

I'd also say that a certain amount of it is Ireland. You see the same thing every day on the M50 – people staying in the outside lane doing ten under the limit. Do that in Germany and you'll be stopped by the law.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I think it's mentality, people on metro/underground are everyday communters and are public transport savvy, the problem you mention with the type of people in airports who cause blockages is they are the opposite of daily commuters and are ignorant/oblivious to other members of the public. They have, as mentioned herd mentality and are in "holiday mode" which often means the brain is all but shut down.

It's an Irish mentality. Go to France or anywhere on the continent for that matter and if you don't stand on the right, the person behind you trying to get by, will make you move.

Anywhere in Ireland where there's an escalator, Irish people stand two abreast for some absurd reason.
    Whether it's a travellator or escalator, I take the stairs now, unless the travellator is empty.
    Stairs is faster and healthier too.

Maybe it's because they're only quite a recent addition to Ireland.
    Perhaps we need signs on all escalators saying stand on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Works well on the metro systems I've seen it on, why wouldn't it work in the airport?

I had that yesterday on the travelator in T1..people clogging it up with no etiquette..I was say excuse me every 2 mins, and I could tell people thought I was being arsey.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

It's an Irish mentality. Go to France or anywhere on the continent for that matter and if you don't stand on the right, the person behind you trying to get by, will make you move.

Anywhere in Ireland where there's an escalator, Irish people stand two abreast for some absurd reason.
    Whether it's a travellator or escalator, I take the stairs now, unless the travellator is empty.

Perhaps you're right there, although I've experienced it a lot in Gatwick which has multiple travelators too, groups of people stand on them, with bags blocking the way and don't even walk..they just stand there moving at 1-2mph!!! Also to be fair to Irish people in Italy and Spain public order courtesy leaves little to be desired

Perhaps you're right there, although I've experienced it a lot in Gatwick which has multiple travelators too, groups of people stand on them, with bags blocking the way and don't even walk..they just stand there moving at 1-2mph!!! Also to be fair to Irish people in Italy and Spain public order courtesy leaves little to be desired
    I work at Gatwick, and found T1 Dub like a cattle mart yesterday in comparison (after security).

• Advertisement

lufties wrote: »

I work at Gatwick, and found T1 Dub like a cattle mart yesterday in comparison (after security).
    Those travelators as you walk from the train station to the shuttle in the South term can be a nightmare, people standing with their cases on the travelators, I find landside to be worse in general as at least airside people have checked in the large cases already, where's landside passenger have their large cases and airport case trolleys too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

lufties wrote: »
    I had that yesterday on the travelator in T1..people clogging it up with no etiquette..I was say excuse me every 2 mins, and I could tell people thought I was being arsey.

I cover a lot of ground by travelator, always at a brisk pace in the LH lane and believe me you're going to move if I come up behind you and you're just standing there hogging the lane. You will be asked politely to move along or step aside, but only once, after that I'm coming through regardless....

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I cover a lot of ground by travelator, always at a brisk pace in the LH lane and believe me you're going to move if I come up behind you and you're just standing there hogging the lane. You will be asked politely to move along or step aside, but only once, after that I'm coming through regardless....

I'm beginning to see how you got your username!!!!😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

T2 by a country mile. So much space compared to T1. I can always find a quiet spot to read before my flight. Far less stag do type folks in hilarious t-shirts who can never seem to grasp the concept of metal detectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭term

When T2 opened, we asked the question about why check-in and security were on different floors.
    The answer at the time was, because of footprint of the terminal, it would have been either arriving or departing pax who would have to move between floors. Whomever made this decision did it in the belief it would be easier on arriving pax to have a "one-floor" route out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Can't wait to bump into you Pal!

Pat Dunne wrote: »

Dawdle in the left lane of the travelator at the airport and you soon will... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

you have to remember that people are in the airport for different reasons....some have all the time in the world, others, like myself make every second count. So whilst I generally am one of those marching along the left of a travelator and I love the discipline of the London Underground, I think it's unfair to cast it as rudeness on others simply because they may not be aware of 'etiquette', or they are not frequent travellers etc. It's not difficult to politely ask people to move and the majority are very willing.

Back on topic, as a frequent user of both, I'd have to say T1 is far better for shopping and food options. Security I find pretty much the same in both, but for ease of movement, layout and speed of getting through, I find T2 probably edging it. Can't believe they are getting away with that lounge still in T1 though...only for the really nice staff there's not much to it. For an airport of it's size I'm frequently disappointed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Never used T2, but have possibly, unknown to my self, used some of the new piers, am only guessing, as they were big and shinny compared to what had used previously.

:D
    rushfan wrote: »
    I'm beginning to see how you got your username!!!!😂

Gonna side with Billy here. Born in London, and well used to the etiquette of walk on the left, standing on the right of LU escalators. First you will get an excuse me, then possibly a move over please, then it's just a move other. If you are the 4th/5th/6th person standing on the left, I am more than likely just coming through as well. And whilst not well travelled outside of Europe, have never really noticed people hogging escalators/travelators in airports or metro/underground facilities, anywhere, even in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

So; just so I have this right (haven't really used T2 before at all) - am I able to clear security at T2; then walk over to my gate in T1?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

So; just so I have this right (haven't really used T2 before at all) - am I able to clear security at T2; then walk over to my gate in T1?

Yup, its even signposted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Excellent, will try it out on my next flight. Thanks!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

The pints and fry ups are nicer in T1

Excellent, will try it out on my next flight. Thanks!

Allow time for this, the walk from T2 to T1 is the equivalent of the walk from T1 security to Pier D, which is the "newish" one with the long walk mainly used by Ryanair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Allow time for this, the walk from T2 to T1 is the equivalent of the walk from T1 security to Pier D, which is the "newish" one with the long walk mainly used by Ryanair
    It's no more than 10 minutes to be fair. 5 at a brisk walk!

The Mig wrote: »
    The pints and fry ups are nicer in T1

The general vibe is nicer too

Just so long as you're only traveling with handbagagge as there is nowhere in T2 to check in baggage for airlines based in T1 and vice versa but you can just walk through either terminal security with carry on.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Never used T2, but have possibly, unknown to my self, used some of the new piers, am only guessing, as they were big and shinny compared to what had used previously.

:D

Gonna side with Billy here. Born in London, and well used to the etiquette of walk on the left, standing on the right of LU escalators. First you will get an excuse me, then possibly a move over please, then it's just a move other. If you are the 4th/5th/6th person standing on the left, I am more than likely just coming through as well. And whilst not well travelled outside of Europe, have never really noticed people hogging escalators/travelators in airports or metro/underground facilities, anywhere, even in Dublin.

Yup, you'll hear a polite 'excuse me sir/madam, I need to get through' you might even get the benefit of the doubt and hear it a second time, after that I'm brushing past you with a 'sorry mate, I have a flight to catch'....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Architecturally, I prefer T2.

However, I prefer the shops/eateries of T1. And on a purely personal level, I use T1 for about 90% of my trips (about 4/5 per year) so T1 'feels' more like Dublin Airport to me than T2.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No it's not?

It has the 1xx gates signposted, but I can imagine the vast majority of people don't know that the 100 gates are in T1.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,197 ✭✭✭✭L1011

JCX BXC wrote: »
    No it's not?

It has the 1xx gates signposted, but I can imagine the vast majority of people don't know that the 100 gates are in T1.

Due to sequential gate numbering, there is little to no reason for anyone to need to know what terminal they're in. The few aviation geeks who desperately want to see both terminals on a visit are the same ones who'll know which gates are in which!

You see airside signs for specific terminals where they have duplicated gate numbering; or where it can be figured out from the naming (e.g. lettered terminals). That's about it.

Prefer the food and retail in T1 - they really need to get more in T2 and the "shelf" on the opposite to Burger King is there for that. Prefer everything else about T2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Dawdle in the left lane of the travelator at the airport and you soon will... :D
    Looking forward to it, my friend, looking forward to it! :D

Having travelled through T1 this morning at 9:00am I noticed a distinct lack of clear/any signage requesting PAX to stand on the Righthand side of the travelators for individuals in a hurry.

L1011 wrote: »
    Due to sequential gate numbering, there is little to no reason for anyone to need to know what terminal they're in. The few aviation geeks who desperately want to see both terminals on a visit are the same ones who'll know which gates are in which!

You see airside signs for specific terminals where they have duplicated gate numbering; or where it can be figured out from the naming (e.g. lettered terminals). That's about it.

My point was that there is no signposting for T1, and the average Joe won't understand that a sign saying 1xx gates means Terminal 1.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to it, my friend, looking forward to it! :D

Having travelled through T1 this morning at 9:00am I noticed a distinct lack of clear/any signage requesting PAX to stand on the Righthand side of the travelators for individuals in a hurry.

There is absolutely none to my knowledge, which was my original point, at least if there were plenty of signs then people may start follow them and you'd have a leg to stand on when you tell people get out of your way!

Advertisement