Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which do you prefer Dub T1 or T2?

Options
  • 01-05-2017 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

I must say its T1 for me, but that's out of pure nostalgia, as I recall the excitement flying out to far flung destinations as a younger man. T2 does seem a bit soulless though in comparison. Perhaps it lacks the grit a Ryanair passenger might bring :-D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

T2 is streets ahead however T1 has come a long way in recent years. I would almost say the shops selection is that bit better in T1 now but T2 for everything else.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

T2 for me, although I also appreciate the nostalgia you speak of with T1, but T1 is so different now it hardly resembles the memories I have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

T2 for sure. T1 is a bit of a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

T2, but hate the way you check into T2 for some flights then actually have to fly out of T1. If you are going to have to fly from T1, they should let us just go through Security there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

T2, but hate the way you check into T2 for some flights then actually have to fly out of T1. If you are going to have to fly from T1, they should let us just go through Security there.

You can use T1 security if you want, no restriction. Plus the 300 Gates are officially a shard facility (I would say as the number of flights using US Pre Clearance expands, expect more EI short haul to use Pier 3 with current Pier 3 stalwarts likely to be moved to Pier 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I've only been a T2 once, quite a while ago. Iirc it was just plain, brushed metal blandness with lots of escalators. Has it changed much? T1 has all the memories but I can't say I'm a fan as such. Ive wasted too much of my life waiting around airports so I can't say I really enjoy any of them so I'll opt for T1 purely for the cheaper Ryanair flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Locker10a wrote: »
    T2 for me, although I also appreciate the nostalgia you speak of with T1, but T1 is so different now it hardly resembles the memories I have

I hear you. My first time time ever leaving Ireland was Dub-ams-bkk 14 yrs ago, the excitement was palpable. I took off with EI from pier B. Amazing how nostalgia can influence.

lufties wrote: »
    Locker10a wrote: »

I hear you. My first time time ever leaving Ireland was Dub-ams-bkk 14 yrs ago, the excitement was palpable. I took off with EI from pier B. Amazing how nostalgia can influence.
    Yeah, I have great memories of getting Aer Arann (remember them) and Ryanair flights from Pier A I think it was called at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

The original terminal building
    A thing of beauty, which shows what can happen to buildings from this era when they're maintained (unlike bus aras)

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/dublin-airport-s-old-terminal-a-walk-through-history-1.2075933?mode=amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 nkfox

T2 for its simplicity and function, but I do love the walk past the original terminal building. It just evokes that bygone era of exclusive air travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

As someone who uses the airport at least twice a week I much prefer T2 to T1 regardless of the history. I always travel with hand baggage only and quite often (depending on the time of day) go through security in T2 and walk up to my flight in T1.
    T1 security can get quite crowded with stag parties and LoCo passengers who haven't grasped the concept of the security procedures and you end up getting stuck behind them while they're sent back and forth through the metal detector or have the litre bottle of water removed from their luggage.
    You get more business type savvy travellers in T2 so it's often an easier experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Flew from T2 last week to UK. Usually this route I'm flying from T1. T2 was terrible at 6am, the queues at the different cafes was huge and there were no seats. I'll be back to T1 for my next early UK flight.

As someone who uses the airport at least twice a week I much prefer T2 to T1 regardless of the history. I always travel with hand baggage only and quite often (depending on the time of day) go through security in T2 and walk up to my flight in T1.
    T1 security can get quite crowded with stag parties and LoCo passengers who haven't grasped the concept of the security procedures and you end up getting stuck behind them while they're sent back and forth through the metal detector or have the litre bottle of water removed from their luggage.
    You get more business type savvy travellers in T2 so it's often an easier experience.

I guess I can't argue with that..when I started this thread it was nice and chilled pre security..then I qeued for 20 mins, and got through to a crowded departures..it reminded me of Luton airport a bit..so I suppose T2 is a much more pleasant experience all in all. I used to work for cityjet based at T1 pier C..that's all gone now so the only recognisable bit is landside perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

T2 is a modern fit for purpose terminal, bright airy and plenty of space.Only issue is having put check in on the ground floor, arrivals 1st and security second.

T1 is a horrible mess of bits attached to other bits, full of pinch points and narrow corridors, reminds me of FCO or the old T1 in LHR, started out well but became a mess later

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

T2 is a modern fit for purpose terminal, bright airy and plenty of space.Only issue is having put check in on the ground floor, arrivals 1st and security second.

My only complaint about T2 is arrivals. I'm at a loss about why a trip from the second floor to the first floor must involve so many escalators.

markpb wrote: »
    My only complaint about T2 is arrivals. I'm at a loss about why a trip from the second floor to the first floor must involve so many escalators.

Try T2 in lhr, escalator heaven (or hell)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I think T1 is my favourite, better facilities on arrival with a hard to miss tourism office and more convenient for all the buses too. I typically leave quicker from T1 than from T2.

Not a smoker but T1's smoking area is a nice touch also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

I prefer T2 myself.Arnie was great in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭john boye

I prefer T2 myself.Arnie was great in it.

Great soundtrack too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'd have to say T2 as it always seems quieter than T1. And given the fact I regularly fly Aer Lingus, I'd be slightly biased towards T2
    (I must also stipulate that I've only ever used priority check in & fast track security at T2, so that definitely skewers my view)

However, I'm not a fan of the overall design of the place. On the outside it looks fantastic, but once you get inside its a different story.
    Check in on the ground floor, then having to go up 2 levels (via arrivals) to the security area, then back down 2 levels to get to your gate seems illogical, and I don't seem to recall many other airport terminals set up like this (though I'm most likely wrong).

I also really dislike when arriving at either a remote stand or at a T1 gate (on an AL flight) and having to walk all the way around to T2 passport control via that little prefab corridor, or be dropped off by the bus half way down the T2 concourse (bonus points when you see 2/3 flights just parking up at that moment so you know there'll be a big queue at passport control).

Also, some of the T2 gates seem to be lacking on the amount of seating at the actual gate!

T1 has definitely made some big improvements lately, including being a lot more spacious post security (despite only having a tight space to work with), and the arrivals hall is so much better now that there is natural light getting in.

Maybe I actually do prefer T1 after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

T1....purely because there is a smoking area there!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Have to say T1, although often when flying from T1 in the evening I'll go through security at T2 (shorter) and have a look through the shops. It's very cold and lacking in atmosphere, just kind of a modern but bare interior.

T1 has much more character imo, although the walk out to the Ryanair (basically) concourse can be a little annoying.

I actually do have a peeve though, can they organise a system where people standing on the travelator keep to the left and the people wishing to walk can keep right? Having big families of 8 sprawling themselves out over a whole travelator isn't fun when you wish to walk, and can't imagine how frustrating it is if you're late for a flight!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Thats called herd behaviour. No system in place will stop it happening.

The 'stand to the side' system is logical. But some people/groups of people will blissfully ignore such a system or perhaps not even be aware of its existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

T1 is a horrible mess of bits attached to other bits, full of pinch points and narrow corridors, reminds me of FCO or the old T1 in LHR, started out well but became a mess later

Does it really make a difference, when you arrive you would have to go from 3rd floor to ground floor via two flights of stairs if you had check in on ground/1st and security on 1st/2nd floor.

Works well on the metro systems I've seen it on, why wouldn't it work in the airport?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Works well on the metro systems I've seen it on, why wouldn't it work in the airport?

I think it's mentality, people on metro/underground are everyday communters and are public transport savvy, the problem you mention with the type of people in airports who cause blockages is they are the opposite of daily commuters and are ignorant/oblivious to other members of the public. They have, as mentioned herd mentality and are in "holiday mode" which often means the brain is all but shut down.

I don't fully accept your point, as many travellers are not actually going to holiday destinations anyway. The top 9 destinations from Dublin are all city destinations!

While you'll always have the few eejits who'll never comply, at least you'll have a leg to stand on if you wish to ask them to move, and again crowd mentality, if everyone does it they'll do it too!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I don't fully accept your point, as many travellers are not actually going to holiday destinations anyway. The top 9 destinations from Dublin are all city destinations!

While you'll always have the few eejits who'll never comply, at least you'll have a leg to stand on if you wish to ask them to move, and again crowd mentality, if everyone does it they'll do it too!

While there are many business travellers/destinations I'd imagine they are easily outnumbered by leisure/seasonal/holiday travellers who are out of their usual environment.
    Some signage may help, worth a try I guess!

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    But only 5 mins walk from T2 to T1 so no biggie.

If you run, then maybe, no hope you'd do the walk in 5 minutes.

Advertisement