Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google "listening" to you

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Patww79 wrote: »
    Nothing that anyone is interested in anyway. Google knows exactly where I am and what I'm saying at all times and I'm quite comfortable with that.

Which is great. :)

My point, and my only point, is there must be a lot of people, who possibly aren't "quite comfortable with that" for whatever reasons, doing some hard thinking right now. :) Me personally, I'm not too bothered. I'm fairly dull. As an example though, if I worked for say "the Kinahans", well then I'd be quite bothered. A lot, possibly, bothered. Not everyone lives the same life shocker, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Yes, they are listening, but the data is encrypted, protected, and anonymised. Microsoft done it with the Kinect 10 years ago.

I am convinced they will be whispering adverts into your ear mid phone call next.

myshirt wrote: »
    Yes, they are listening, but the data is encrypted, protected, and anonymised. Microsoft done it with the Kinect 10 years ago.

I am convinced they will be whispering adverts into your ear mid phone call next.

Doubtful. That would defeat the entire purpose. If I'm interested in buying a woodworking dust extractor (I am btw :pac::D) then what's the point if that data, once collected, isn't tagged directly to me as an individual? The tag may not be "Beyondgone", it may well be "Consumer 45264413312" or some such, but you can be sure it's a direct tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

People who don't read the terms and conditions then tick the boxes to give their information are surprised when the services start working?

They most likely have android devices either a tablet, a phone, or chrome browser installed and have now only began worrying about them now listening to you for advertising purposes - that's how Google make their money...

I use such a range of Google products consistently that I have no issues at all with it - I trade my information for their service's, that's usually how transactions work, except it's not for monetary purposes, it's information instead, and I'm okay with that...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭OU812

Matt Cooper had some marketing guru on one day. Apparently, the GPS on your phone is so accurate that it can tell what aisle you're in/what product you're looking at or spending time around in the likes of Tesco etc. Big Brother then pushes ad's for that product to your FB account or whatever. Don't know how true that is but I heard it on the radio so...

That's bull. Maybe if your phone had a missile guidance system built in (& even they're not 100% accurate). Military grade GPS is effective to about three feet, phone GPS to about 20 feet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I know. But what if you personally didn't scroll through, or hit agree, or even have a phone - but the chap you're talking with did? :) It's just food for thought, nothing more, nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

You can turn off the always listening feature, if you don't then your​ phone is always listening for the phrase "Ok Google/hey Siri". Mine only has recordings from when I hit the button, or at least that's what they tell me.

Bless. I think we may be coming at this from too disparate angles ever to see each others point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

We covered this. :) What if I opt out but the other chap has opted in. But I still want to speak about private matters? It isn't much of a leap to think that if Google or Apple or whomever are capable of listening to conversations "for marketing" that others, i.e The Authorities are capable of accessing that data quite easily, should they feel the need. If you get my drift, which you apparently aren't yet.

Or even if neither opted in, but it gets used anyway "because it can".. Not alone are you now carrying a tracker, willingly, but you're also carrying your own personal bug. Lol. Headmelter depending on what side of the tracks you work on.

No need for the personals.:( Me thinking your view is sweet and innocent reflects worse on me than it does on you. Or is that some sort of acronym that the younger generation uses these days?:confused: I dunno. I'll have to ask Siri.

no...wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,120 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yeah, well ya see I am - and ****ing lots of it... >D

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

OU812 wrote: »
    That's bull. Maybe if your phone had a missile guidance system built in (& even they're not 100% accurate). Military grade GPS is effective to about three feet, phone GPS to about 20 feet.

Tesco aisles are bigger than 20 feet though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

"No Activity" :D I have voice switched off in my google search settings on my phone (under both "from google app" and "from any screen" headings) so not sure if that is the reason? I also have all activity, like youtube history, set to "pause" in my google settings so there is nothing to show under any of the settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Speaking of privacy etc... An external hard drive I have plugged into my PC has a blue light that is solid when it's not being accessed and flashes when it is. If the light is solid due to no access for a while and then I open facebook, the light starts flashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Victor wrote: »
    If you are reading a web page with Google Chrome and you think "I need to check who that person is" or "I need to what that word means", as you start typing the word, Google is 'too quick' to prompt the word you are looking for.

Explain that one.

That's a feature of chrome, you can turn it off.
    Prefetch pages or something it's called

• Registered Users Posts: 78,301 ✭✭✭✭Victor

batistuta9 wrote: »
    That's a feature of chrome, you can turn it off.
    Prefetch pages or something it's called
    Just because you turn it off, does it stop reading your pages. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Victor wrote: »
    Just because you turn it off, does it stop reading your pages. :)

What you've described sounded to me like the prefetch pages feature, it'll download the related links in articles etc.

A different think than what they're doing or not with your search terms

Advertisement