Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google "listening" to you

Options
  • 29-04-2017 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭

So I got my haircut this morning and the barbers was empty. We were chatting about this and that and the barber mentions that he would like to visit New York. I told him I'd been there twice and would love to go back. We chatted for a bit about it and moved on from that.

Now all my phone has is ads for New York - hotel prices etc.

Are google listening through the microphone on your phone or is it coincidence?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Same thing kind of happened to me.

Twice I've mentioned names over the last few days and they are now showing up on Facebook as suggested friends.

One name was a foreign name I heard on the TV and I commented it's a unique name I had never heard it before.

Next thing it's suggested on Facebook, the person is from Slovakia and I have no mutual friends. Definitely something going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Are you using 'Google Now'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

You can check out all the recordings of you that google has here:
    https://history.google.com/history/audio

It keeps them...

Forever

Have a nice day! :)

Slydice wrote: »

It keeps them...

Forever

You can delete them though. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Had been happening for ages for me with both Facebook and Google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

You can delete them though. I think.

you can, they won't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,927 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Did you take your tin foil hat off while getting your hair cut? Never remove the tinfoil hat!'

you can, they won't :)

Sneaky, sneaky

Here OP:
    Delete recordings one at at time

Visit the Voice & Audio Activity page.

You may be asked to sign in to your Google Account.

Below the item you want to delete, click Details.

To the right of "Item details," select More More and then Delete.

It keeps them...

Forever

Ha! I just had a look there. 5 recordings and only 2 that can be made out. One was me looking up a Clumber Spaniel after I heard it on The Chase. The other is something got to do with giving up smoking. Both in February this year. I gave up smoking and have yet to see a Clumber Spaniel :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It keeps them...

Forever

:eek:

415992.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Slydice wrote:

That's scary :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

No activity :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It keeps them...

Forever

I've nothing too bad there thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

It's quite recent that I was given a smartphone but every app wants access to my pictures, microphone, camera, etc. Fcuk that and fcuk them. Dunno if big brother is listening but someone is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It's quite recent that I was given a smartphone but every app wants access to my pictures, microphone, camera, etc. Fcuk that and fcuk them. Dunno if big brother is listening but someone is...

You're looking well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

RayM wrote: »
    You're looking well...

Scary stuff all right.

http://imgur.com/gallery/1cLxV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Seems I said "Vodafone Arseholes" in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Chester Copperpot

It seems that I said that Ian Browne was nothing but a **** back two years ago. I don't really think he is one but I must have said it as it is my voice. Why would it be recording that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

mfceiling wrote: »
    So I got my haircut this morning and the barbers was empty. We were chatting about this and that and the barber mentions that he would like to visit New York. I told him I'd been there twice and would love to go back. We chatted for a bit about it and moved on from that.

Now all my phone has is ads for New York - hotel prices etc.

Are google listening through the microphone on your phone or is it coincidence?

Google records conversations through your phone. It is no secret. Or conspiracy. In order to delete this you have to go directly to the site and erase all stored voice history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I said something about brandy and cigars and I do remember the context of that conversation! Also 'no google dad', lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I just have to think of something and related ads are popping up

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Well that link to the audio history is fantastic, it appears I said "chair ties" in October 2016 and in December I was annoying the wife while doing audio searches that you can hear her telling me off in the background.

I just have to think of something and related ads are popping up

Matt Cooper had some marketing guru on one day. Apparently the GPS on your phone is so accurate that it can tell what aisle you're in/what product you're looking at or spending time around in the likes of Tesco etc. Big Brother then pushes ad's for that product to your FB account or whatever. Don't know how true that is but I heard it on the radio so...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Matt Cooper had some marketing guru on one day. Apparently the GPS on your phone is so accurate that it can tell what aisle you're in/what product you're near or spending time around in the likes of Tesco etc. Big Brother then pushes ad's for that product to your FB account or whatever. Don't know how true that is but I heard it on the radio so...

They'd probably have more success if they sent vouchers or coupons to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It says no activity for me. But I have had a similar experience. My dad was watching TV5 and asked me to google some obscure French celeb from the 50s. I had only typed the first letter when it suggested the correct name.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Did you take your tin foil hat off while getting your hair cut? Never remove the tinfoil hat!'
    you fool !

it's not a hat, it's a parabolic reflector that concentrates the rays like a satellite dish

it means they get better reception

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

You are currently connected to a network of computers. Be it your smartphone, your laptop or even your tv.

Everything you do on that network leaves a footprint. It can be looked at 'live' or retrospectively. Take your pick, what's the difference.

It's not just Google that is listening to you, it's anyone that wants too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

No activity for me. No surprise as I don't use google. The only ads I get are of things I've looked up myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I've noticed in the past year that if you are talking to someone and your phone is close by, if you say 'OK', sometimes OK Google will open and start listening. If it can't make out what your saying it will tell you and obviously its recording what you're saying and storing it.

Advertisement