Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google "listening" to you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

just a sound like a crisp packet being shuffled for 5 minutes, then what sounds like a long groan, then a man weeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

No activity!!

I don't agree to much of what they want tbh. Never put on location and very rarely use bluetooth or wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

greencap wrote: »
    just a sound like a crisp packet being shuffled for 5 minutes, then what sounds like a long groan, then a man weeping.
    You just described my last ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

mfceiling wrote: »
    So I got my haircut this morning and the barbers was empty. We were chatting about this and that and the barber mentions that he would like to visit New York. I told him I'd been there twice and would love to go back. We chatted for a bit about it and moved on from that.

Now all my phone has is ads for New York - hotel prices etc.

Are google listening through the microphone on your phone or is it coincidence?

Nooo.. pure coincidence.. me hole. If I look sideways at something, I get buried in Ads for that something. That ain't no coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Same thing kind of happened to me.

Twice I've mentioned names over the last few days and they are now showing up on Facebook as suggested friends.

One name was a foreign name I heard on the TV and I commented it's a unique name I had never heard it before.

Next thing it's suggested on Facebook, the person is from Slovakia and I have no mutual friends. Definitely something going on.

Exact same happened to me a few weeks ago. I was talking to a friend and I recommended.a doctor to her.
    Got home and went on fb on my phone and the doctor popped up as a suggested friend.

• Advertisement

Matt Cooper had some marketing guru on one day. Apparently the GPS on your phone is so accurate that it can tell what aisle you're in/what product you're looking at or spending time around in the likes of Tesco etc. Big Brother then pushes ad's for that product to your FB account or whatever. Don't know how true that is but I heard it on the radio so...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the gps on my phone isn't quite so swishy. Mainly as it's a dumbphone and I've everything internet-related on it borked on purpose. I say this to my kids, they laugh.. there recently one of them shat on their own doorstep -the phone confirmed all. I did tell em..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Meh! My phone can't understand me even when I want it to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No activity for me when I checked it out

Stheno wrote: »
    No activity for me when I checked it out

you've a contrary voice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

No activity for me, might be because I wasn't signed in to google :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you are reading a web page with Google Chrome and you think "I need to check who that person is" or "I need to what that word means", as you start typing the word, Google is 'too quick' to prompt the word you are looking for.
    Beyondgone wrote: »
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the gps on my phone isn't quite so swishy. Mainly as it's a dumbphone and I've everything internet-related on it borked on purpose. I say this to my kids, they laugh.. there recently one of them shat on their own doorstep -the phone confirmed all. I did tell em..
    Explain that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

"No transcript available"

Big brother and it's tech will never suss the Wesht Irish accent boy, yeeeeow! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

I was driving home last Friday week and someone texted Sean moncrieff asking about a beer they had the weekend before in Dublin.
    People started texting back about it, must have been said 8-10 times in the space of an hour.
    The next day it was a suggested post on Facebook, I have never heard about it till I heard it on the radio. Dublin blonde I think was.

"No transcript available"

Big brother and it's tech will never suss the Wesht Irish accent boy, yeeeeow! :pac:

They have 8 Taffy feckers working on it as we speak. Give it time, Boyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Yeah most of it is just incoherent slurring and crying.

I remember I was speaking about something *really* unusual, something like a rare piece of medical equipment or something, and the next day I had ads for it on my phone. Pi'ssed me off. I'm not impressed by the ingenuity of the people who invent this technology, i am simply pissed off with them for threatening our access to basic privacy and starting the trend towards having any level of privacy becoming a thing of the past. It's bad enough we all found ourselves gradually become addicted to and dependent upon smartphones in the last 5/6 years and that we are all forced to live with social media existing, we don't need to add another quality-of-life-decreasing thing in the form of being constantly tracked, monitored, feeling you can't talk anonymously to friends etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Is there a similar link to voice recordings taken by apple? I haven't had an android since 2015 so there aren't many for me to listen to in that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Only thing Google has recorded for me is stuff I 'okay googled'. Like I'm too lazy to manually set an alarm so I often just voice control it. There's no recordings in there of random stuff.

Don't think I've ever seen adverts change from things I've been talking about. I do get lots of stuff about hot ladyboys in my area looking to date me though....

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

This is so strange as I've had a few things happen that were coincidental and was wondering how my adds could have gone so specific so soon after a conversation I had the other day even though I hadn't googled or recorded anything ( I don't even know how to do the recording and my phone is old and rubbish with virtually no apps.

Someone range me the other day in relation to a medical issue I am having. In the phone conversation we had he recommended something very very specific that I have never seen or heard of before...a few minutes after the conversation I started seeing adds for the same thing we spoke about popping up on my newsfeed!?

At first I thought maybe the "cookies'' were doing matches of previous searches and recent searches however this couldn't have been the case here as this was incredibly specific advertising just after the phone conversation!

I just thought it was quite strange

• Registered Users Posts: 33,115 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'll be honest with you, I pay such little attention to the ads I see online that they could have entire teams listening into everythign I say and then having committees to carefully select that ads to show me, and I wouldn't even notice a thing.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

It's quite recent that I was given a smartphone but every app wants access to my pictures, microphone, camera, etc. Fcuk that and fcuk them. Dunno if big brother is listening but someone is...

Put LineageOS on your phone and use open source apps from FDroid.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I'll be honest with you, I pay such little attention to the ads I see online that they could have entire teams listening into everythign I say and then having committees to carefully select that ads to show me, and I wouldn't even notice a thing.

Generally I am the same. But this add was visible on my phone so I couldn't not see it even if I tried , it filled my screen so it was impossible not to see :D It was just really odd as I have noticed this a few times in the last week and I don't use internet much as I have no wifi on my phone. Really odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

The big industry in the tech sector at the moment is "big data", which is basically farming all the data that's collected by smart phones and other devices. Big money to made in making this data useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

That's very sneaky. I have no recorded audio. I think it's a case that we have to be more mindful and careful of our own personal data, and the sneaky ways used to get access to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My phone occasionally responds to the tv. Quite weird to have you phone asking if you said something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

And then you have eejits who can't wait to spend 130e on a listening device made by the worlds biggest advertising company to put in their homes.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2017/3/16/14948696/google-home-assistant-advertising-beauty-and-the-beast

There are quite a few bad lads out there doing some very hard looking at their own and everyone elses phone right now, lol.:D

Basically, if you've had a conversation you regarded as private and one or other party had a smartphone with them..was it private?? :) There's going to be a lot of whisperring done.. think about it. Even while driving and someone in the car is just holding a phone looking at Facebook while everyone else "chats" - is the phone listening? Lol.. There's something to be thinking about for the future lads.. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

Depends where "they" move the goalposts of "anything" to. ;) Or if you suddenly do decide to get up to "anything".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Advertisement