Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most underrated Cities in Ireland and why?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Rabbo wrote: »
    Do regale us more about your travels to foreign lands

I've never left Dublin 5, my spiritual and physical home

smug_dude wrote: »
    well no other city in ireland is close to qualifying as large

for the population we have , we have remarkably few cities with over fifty thousand people

new zealand has slightly less of a population than us yet seven of their cities are bigger than limerick

Probably due to poor planning. Thanks to a crazy property boom and fairly lax planning laws and corrupt politicians and brown envelopes, on a recent drive from Dublin down to Kerry it seemed like pretty much the whole country is one big dispersed housing estate. Even around the peninsulas in the south-west there are god-awful American-style bungalows every hundred yards or so, most of which look empty. Yes the sprawl in American cities may be worse on many measures but at least they've still got vast spaces between the cities. A trip to 'rural' Ireland would be quite instructive to people who blithely suggest allowing people to build what they want where they want in the other countries such as the UK - that approach does have its merits but it could also quickly ruin many prized landscapes.

Agreed.Well about Dublin being underrated,but I'd regard Cork as a proper city too. Cork is also underrated. Especially if your into your music. Pubs are great,women are sexy and plentiful.But for some reason the stags and hens overlook the place in favour of Galway, Kilkenny or Waterford. Those places are just big towns,not cities.

One of my best friends is from Cork but I've only ever passed through the place. Honestly I never really went to Cork City because I always had this unfounded belief deep down that people there didn't like people from Dublin and we weren't particularly welcome! This must be from stereotypes and anecdotes. Anyway I plan to visit at some stage this year, my mate promised me a good time down there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Limerick City has one the best most modern universities in Ireland campus and the grounds and the river walkways are stunning beautiful. it has one the biggest and best shopping centre in Ireland .and there is sum Great pubs like Nancy Blakes pub etc. plus a lot of People are very down to earth.so Limerick is the most underrated Cities by far .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Perhaps it's fair to say there is really only two cities on the island. Four half-cities, and four or five largish towns.
    The view from the ISS could confirm that. The 2nd largest city has the majority of the tallest buildings.

VC island has around the same population as Dublin (city) within a very compact space, high rise could be the way to go.
    Would be nice to see a brand new ultra-modern eco-city built somewhere in the geographical center of the island, it wouldn't be cheap though.

irecities.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

NIMAN wrote: »
    Get my spoke in for Derry.

Really has been transformed over the past decade or so.

If you have never been, worth a visit. And although a little late, try to be there for the annual jazz and music festival which is currently running, there's a fantastic buzz around the city.

Another bonus, it's cheap to visit, and eat and drink in.

Yeah, I'm going to second this.

Derry is a great place, that new Ebrington Square is a great space, and well used for a variety of events, from funfairs, right through to large club/festival style music events.

They have some solid people with a bit of vision in the planning area of the council.

The quality of food/places to eat is punching well above it's weight, especially for the prices.

And the people are friendly, fewer of the "chip on their shoulder/permanently pissed off" people I normally associate with Norn Ironers.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Thebe

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Kilkenny... and don't say it's not a city.

Agree

Kilkenny is like two streets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

One of my best friends is from Cork but I've only ever passed through the place. Honestly I never really went to Cork City because I always had this unfounded belief deep down that people there didn't like people from Dublin and we weren't particularly welcome! This must be from stereotypes and anecdotes. Anyway I plan to visit at some stage this year, my mate promised me a good time down there.
    I find corkonians to have the same dry humour you get in Dublin,you just have to learn the lingo!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Cashel is by far the most underrated city. Many people don't even acknowledge its city status.

• Advertisement

Why was Waterford city left neglect since the 1980s and left behind when i went to school in the 1980s it was Dublin Cork Limerick Waterford Galway what happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

When you consider that Michael D Higgins, Mary Harney, Robert Molloy, Pat Rabbitte and Eamonn Gilmore have Galway origins then it could be said that political influence at ministerial level had a part to play in this faster growth of Galway when compared to Waterford.

Waterford still has its Airport which Galway lost and both cities have motorway access to Irelands economic Ground Zero, Dublin.

Waterford needs a University urgently in order to attract future industry south east.

doolox wrote: »
    When you consider that Michael D Higgins, Mary Harney, Robert Molloy, Pat Rabbitte and Eamonn Gilmore have Galway origins then it could be said that political influence at ministerial level had a part to play in this faster growth of Galway when compared to Waterford.

Waterford still has its Airport which Galway lost and both cities have motorway access to Irelands economic Ground Zero, Dublin.

Waterford needs a University urgently in order to attract future industry south east.
    100 per cent agree Waterford city deserves a break and new Waterford City University now not tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

There are about 11 "cities" in Ireland as a whole and only 6 in the Republic OP......is that what you really want to know or are you extending it to other locations?

Its going to be a mighty short thread if you only mean cities.

There's only one city in Ireland according to the Indo :

http://www.independent.ie

"BREAKING Murder investigation launched after woman (30s) found dead in city apartment"

'City'. The city. No precision needed. There are no more cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

timthumbni wrote: »
    Newry is a city only in name and was only given city status as some sort of prank that got out of hand I presume. The same with Lisburn. In fact in Northern Ireland Belfast is the only one that actually feels like a proper city.

I've no idea if it's the same in the republic.

I'm not joking here, Lisburn and Newry got city status in a raffle of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Gets bad rap but Like all cities in Ireland Waterford is run down but has its spots, decent pubs and cheaper than over rated cities like Galway.
    Id say its under rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

Gets bad rap but Like all cities in Ireland Waterford is run down but has its spots, decent pubs and cheaper than over rated cities like Galway.
    Id say its under rated.

There's something about Waterford which puts it in a different category to other "cities" in Ireland but I can't put my finger on it. I don't know if that's due to infrastructure, lack of investment or some other factor but I think its a nicer place to live as a commuter, offering quality of living rather than say what's available in terms of commerce and industry in other cities. It's very sleepy and laid back and has an olde worlde feel about it, maybe Waterford should embrace that quality instead of trying to clamber up the lacking city status tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

koumi wrote: »
    There's something about Waterford which puts it in a different category to other "cities" in Ireland but I can't put my finger on it. I don't know if that's due to infrastructure, lack of investment or some other factor but I think its a nicer place to live as a commuter, offering quality of living rather than say what's available in terms of commerce and industry in other cities. It's very sleepy and laid back and has an olde worlde feel about it, maybe Waterford should embrace that quality instead of trying to clamber up the lacking city status tree.

The something that you are tying to put your finger on, is that it is a town, not a city. Which a lot of people, you included, clearly like. There is nothing wrong with being a town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

The something that you are tying to put your finger on, is that it is a town, not a city. Which a lot of people, you included, clearly like. There is nothing wrong with being a town.
    yeah that would be it I guess and yep it is a perfect town size as there's enough of everything to make it comfortable yet not too claustrophobic like many small towns can be. :)

Advertisement