Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most underrated Cities in Ireland and why?

Options
  • 29-04-2017 5:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Too many to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Newry

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Limerick.

It got a terrible reputation due to certain scumbag families.

I spent time down there in UL (late 00s) and I loved every minute of it, great people and a great nightlife scene in the city.

It's a place I'd love to live in again if the chance arose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

There are about 11 "cities" in Ireland as a whole and only 6 in the Republic OP......is that what you really want to know or are you extending it to other locations?

Its going to be a mighty short thread if you only mean cities.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Waterford. Great location, great potential and nice people but held back for decades by a lack of real political clout.

Galway is great but is a bit over-rated.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Limerick.

It got a terrible reputation due to certain scumbag families.

I spent time down there in UL (late 00s) and I loved every minute of it, great people and a great nightlife scene in the city.

It's a place I'd love to live in again if the chance arose.
    Limerick is one of the most underrated Cities in Ireland by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Limerick is one of the most underrated Cities in Ireland by far.

Always liked living in Limerick, great pubs and the people are great in general.

It doesn't look great though, which is a crime given it's location on the banks of the Shannon. It always looked to me like it has its back turned to the river.

Viewed from Treaty bridge or Courthouse the river is a fantastic setting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Limerick for me too. Good pub scene, lovely Riverside setting, beautiful university campus. Shame the city centre's gone downhill due to the proliferation of retail parks...(doughnut effect).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Limerick here also, beautiful city.

Agree with other posters, has suffered in the past with the reputation of its two dodgy suburbs.... (Tipperary and Clare)... but is kicking on now. Impassioned people, and very welcoming. Open for business, top quality University, great parks, nature trails, the arts, culture, and some of the best roundabouts you'll see in Ireland, beautiful roundabouts. Lovely cod in Donkey Fords. Shannon airport neighbours, 2 hours to Dublin, little over an hour to Galway.

Great place, truly is.

Also a shout out to the medeival city of Kilkenny, only there two times, but nice spot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Jesus, didn't expect it to be so unanimous but yeah. I was never in Limerick before about 22 years of age but I was really quite surprised by how nice it was. Kind of regret not going to college there for sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Major hard on for Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭atticu

OP, are you doing a school project on cities and counties in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Maybe I'm a wee bit biased but have to agree with the sentiment of the thread. The city did have a problem at one point with fueding families, and gained a bad reputation as a result, no doubt about that. Unfortunately and unfairly the reputation has stuck with some people but thankfully the more astute among us realise its no longer a problem of the same scale as before and I would suggest Limerick no longer has a crime problem any worse than any other city or densely populated area in Ireland. Odd its only Dublin people I have heard still calling Limerick stab city....might be an eye opener for those if they pulled their head out of the sand and compared the murder and knife attack rate in Limerick versus the capital over the past 5 years...

Pity that certain parts in particular of centre of the city has to an extent being forgotten in recent years.... Wouldn't necessarily take much to turn that around but the emphasis on building and investing in retail park after retail park outside the city centre hasn't helped. On the plus there is a good ring road around the city, well signposted and easy to navigate which is a lot more than I could say for other cities and large towns in the Republic.

City residents are for the very most part a very friendly and sociable people and also rightly so very proud of their city and its heritage. The bad element is small relative to the population and even in the "bad estates" the vast majority of the people are honest and decent. A very good and vibrant night life helped in no small part by the large student population no doubt. In all my time drinking in the city I never seen any trouble or fights apart from the usual guy who had too much to drink which you will get anywhere (In the British Isles for certain).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Newry

Newry is a city only in name and was only given city status as some sort of prank that got out of hand I presume. The same with Lisburn. In fact in Northern Ireland Belfast is the only one that actually feels like a proper city.

I've no idea if it's the same in the republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Kilkenny... and don't say it's not a city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Yea, why the fluck do the nordies think that their mid-sized towns should be called cities? Dundalk is bigger than every one of their "cities", except Belfast. And we only count Dundalk as a town.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yea, why the fluck do the nordies think that their mid-sized towns should be called cities? Dundalk is bigger than every one of their "cities", except Belfast. And we only count Dundalk as a town.

Lisburn is a lot bigger than Dundalk. There are a lot of big towns up in NI -Bangor, Ballymena and Coleraine being a few.

Newry being granted city status was done for political reasons. Basically to appease the Nationalists and Rebublicans after Lisburn got city status. In truth, neither deserve to be called cities. Derry is the only city in NI outside of Belfast.

Armagh is a historical "city" too. Because of its two cathedrals. It is basically the Kilkenny of the North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Kilkenny... and don't say it's not a city.

kilkenny may have some decent landmarks and history but socially it's the most over rated kip in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Get my spoke in for Derry.

Really has been transformed over the past decade or so.

If you have never been, worth a visit. And although a little late, try to be there for the annual jazz and music festival which is currently running, there's a fantastic buzz around the city.

Another bonus, it's cheap to visit, and eat and drink in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I am surprised at the love for limerick. It has enormous potential but the city centre needs major renovation. It's ugly and it is getting worse, almost get the sense of an area in decay walking down O'Connell street. That said it would be worth doing a major renovation of the river front and the centre of limerick as it could be special.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I'm going to say Dublin, because it's the only thing even remotely resembling a real international city on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Waterford. Great location, great potential and nice people but held back for decades by a lack of real political clout.

Galway is great but is a bit over-rated.

Waterford is great for a single man,the mother of my first born and I split up for good a few years ago. The break up wasn't an amicable one and my head was wrecked,wallowing in self pity.A few of my pals had set up shop down there so I fecked off out of Dublin and went down to join them. I spent the whole summer partying, out every night and coming home with college birds most nights,despite me being 31 at the time. The women were just falling from the trees. Like shooting ducks in a barrel. When I finally came back to Dublin, my confidence was fully intact again,and I was back to my own self again. And it didn't take long before I met the mother of my little daughter. She was/is way out of my league and before I had my stint in Waterford I never would have approached her. So yeah Waterford always holds a special place in my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Imo Dublin 5 is pretty nice, close to City Centre Howth and Sutton. Great bus route 17a and the Malahide road which has a heap of buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

I'm going to say Dublin, because it's the only thing even remotely resembling a real international city on this island.

Do regale us more about your travels to foreign lands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Wexford referred to as a city in 1609 but quickly forgotten. ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 6 smug_dude

well no other city in ireland is close to qualifying as large

for the population we have , we have remarkably few cities with over fifty thousand people

new zealand has slightly less of a population than us yet seven of their cities are bigger than limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Agreed.Well about Dublin being underrated,but I'd regard Cork as a proper city too. Cork is also underrated. Especially if your into your music. Pubs are great,women are sexy and plentiful.But for some reason the stags and hens overlook the place in favour of Galway, Kilkenny or Waterford. Those places are just big towns,not cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,745 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tuam. It's got a cathedral, so it must be a city, right. Never rated at all!

Advertisement