Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My experience of ticketing on Irish PT as a visitor

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

eurasian wrote: »
    It only proves how poor the whole thing is. As a customer I don't want to download a separate program and ensure my phone has NFC, and deal with all this crap.
    Online top ups should go straigh into the card.

At least they should have automatised collecting top-ups during boarding by simply touching the reader on the bus.
    If the reader can show the balance on the card, then it should have had ability to "collect" top ups.

Poor programming and management.

It literally and I mean literally took you longer to type that post then open the play store and download the app.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the app is very handy - you can check how much credit is left on the card by simply tapping the phone against it, and my wife swears by it now.
    it's a no-brainer, frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

the app is very handy - you can check how much credit is left on the card by simply tapping the phone against it, and my wife swears by it now.

And also with the new updates you add different Bus Eireann and Dublin Bus tickets including different ramblers straight onto the card

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

My old phone had NFC but I never used it but my new one doesn't. I looked into the auto top-up (direct debit) but for 2 reasons it's no-go for me:
    -I find the €30 minimum steep as an occasional visitor but I could have lived with it.
    -The killer blow is the it's not possible to set up a direct debit on Leap with a non-Irish bank account (even within SEPA) which is quite frankly shocking for a government agency.

I would consider NFC for my next phone for the Leap functionality however. It sounds practical to be able to read and write the RFID card directly and Leap will remain RFID based for a long time given the investment in hardware made so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

It's handy *if* you have an Android phone with NFC.

Making your public transport ticketing easily usable by everyone without them having to download an app should be a no-brainer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement