Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Night Run April 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

My friend came in 20 seconds behind him, I'll ask him tomorrow does he remember seeing anything

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Lazare wrote: »
    I hope you didn't pay up?

No I haven't paid up.
    But strangely enough - it's a difficult issue to deal with.

He has an official Virgin Media Race Result's chart showing him running the race in less than 38 minutes.

I either call him a liar( which has added consequences) - or pay up

keps wrote: »
    I'm afraid it could be classed as ' libel' as it may prove difficult to prove he didn't run the full distance.

There is absolutely zero chance a heavy drinking occasional jogger with a beer belly ran that time. Zero.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Found him. Wasn't hard to do so. 37:23 my absolute hole! Give the fecker a slap, and hound him for your fiver!

I know that- and you know that
    But how to get out of this is not easy

No I haven't paid up.

He has an official Virgin Media Race Result's chart showing him running the race in less than 38 minutes.

Tell him if he can run a sub 40 within two weeks you'll give him €500. Cycle alongside him laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

No I haven't paid up.

Tell him to come down to the track at Irishtown next Wednesday and I'll time him with my stopwatch. If he gets within 2 minutes of that time I will give him €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

No need to pay up as he has no 9k split. Presumably the 9k mat was there for a reason, i.e. to catch cheats? The printout is not an official proof of anything.

I know that- and you know that
    But how to get out of this is not easy

Mo Farah would struggle to run 37:23 with that much traffic in front of him.

Actually - not a bad idea kinda picked up from this chat.

I will insist on a double or quits on an upcoming 10k( where I will have witnesses)

I will insist on a double or quits on an upcoming 10k( where I will have witnesses)

Under contract law, bar bets may or may not be legally binding, and the winning party may have difficulty having a court enforce the bet. ... For example, if one or both parties are intoxicated when the bet is made, they may be found to lack capacity to agree to a contract, and the contract thus found void or voidable.

:D

• Advertisement

I think all bets - whether made in a bar,barn or a church are unenforceable in law?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Learn a lesson from this and cut your losses. Never but never give odds on a friendly bet. No matter chances or probability, friendly bets are always even money wagers. Your in a pickle now that will take you a lot of trouble to get out of just to earn a fiver. There are much easier ways to earn a fiver. All logic and right is on your side and he is obviously the cheating party but it's you who is going to look petty in the way it plays out, you will have to demonstrate publicly that he is dishonest and assinate his character in order to gain a fiver. While it would gall me to do so I'd grit my teeth pay up and learn my lessons.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Learn a lesson from this and cut your losses. Never but never give odds on a friendly bet. No matter chances or probability, friendly bets are always even money wagers. Your in a pickle now that will take you a lot of trouble to get out of just to earn a fiver. There are much easier ways to earn a fiver. All logic and right is on your side and he is obviously the cheating party but it's you who is going to look petty in the way it plays out, you will have to demonstrate publicly that he is dishonest and assinate his character in order to gain a fiver. While it would gall me to do so I'd grit my teeth pay up and learn my lessons.

I think you are right.

I will pay up and shut up - and learn a lesson

Suppose you could report the result to the organisers. There's a possibility his name will be removed from the official results if you do so. Hold onto your 50 for now!

I could well be wrong.. But if memory serves me correctly, you can't physically avoid the 9km marker/speed bump.

It was about 10ft wide and had railings/barriers enclosed either side, so you couldn't possibly get around it. There was also a DJ booth type setup at it, with a 'fastest km' message ringing out (telling you to run your fastest km as the last km).

However, if you wished to cheat (that's 'if') the last 800meters or so after the 9k marker was a long straight stretch with plenty of opportunity to hop in or out?

EDIT: Took a mooch on the Virgin Media page and such, but cant find any pictures of the 9km marker. I am 99% confident it was unavoidable though. It was also a 'gantry'. Not sure if gantry is the right word, but it was one of these things (albeit with no clock):

GANTRY%20460.jpg

So you really would have to have made a hell of an effort to not go through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I think you are right.

Don't you dare give him the 50, giving in means he might try this craic again.

Give him back the fiver, call it null and void or else get him to run sub 40 on a running track in front of you for another 10/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Sounds like he arrived late, crossed the start line, hung around for half an hour and then jumped back in towards the end.

Way too congested to pass out that many runners.

If you're any way fit yourself, challenge him to another 10k ;)

He must have had this wager with a few different people, surely it's not possible to be dumb enough to go through all that hassle to win €20?

Maybe pay him his €50. Hear me out :)

Make a huge deal of it in the pub, make sure everyone knows how much of an amazing unbelievable achievement it was, be as sincere as possible. Get someone to suggest they have a cousin working for Runners World and they can arrange an interview with him.

He'll either come clean or someone else will call bull**** on it.

Don't pay him a cent. Take him aside privately so you aren't ruining his "good character" and tell him that 1) he missed the 9km mat split 2) it is physically impossible for even a high quality club runner to run that time starting at the back of the field running through traffic, let alone a regular bar stooler. Tell him the only way you will give him money is if you see him run sub 40 on a track.

He's a bit of an idiot (along with being pathetic and a fraud). If he was going to cheat then why not run 39:xx (rather than 37:xx), start closer to the front, and hop in close to 9km mark and run balls out for 1km. He might struggle to a 4:45 kilometre (though probably not if he has a beer gut) and could disguise it as a slow final kilometre after leaving everything out there in the first 9km.

His cheating is 2/10 max.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Got to admire these sort of pub bets if taken in right spirit.

Makes outlandish claims, takes some wagers and then plans an audacious way to win the bet.

''Tis a good jape. As is attempts to prove him wrong.
    Most cheats are usually undone by chip timing and photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭fletch

I'd be happy to run alongside him to verify the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Are there race pics? Can you look through those to see if he appears in any of them? I know that's no guarantee but surely there'd be one photo!

If it were me I'd pay up, make a big fuss of him as someone else said, ask him his secret and then challenge him to a 5K race soon enough, if he thinks he's gotten away with it he should bite for another bet but this time you'll be wiser...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think you are right.

Why? If it's just a bloke in a pub call him out on his bull****. 10/10 for his effort though! Even if I could run that time I don't think I'd go to the hassle of proving it unless it was for a pile more.

Thanks for all the advise.

I think it is pretty telling - that he is the only one of the very many runners I have checked has no split time for the last 1k( when you click on splits in the results).

The finishing result shows he was a few seconds behind the runner in front of him and some seconds ahead of the next runner behind- so there is no reason that the wide 9k Gantry sensor should have missed him ' if he passed through it.
    The finishing gantry picked him up - so his chip was working.

Thanks for all the advise.

I think it is pretty telling - that he is the only one of the very many runners I have checked has no split time for the last 1k( when you click on splits in the results).

The finishing result shows he was a few seconds behind the runner in front of him and some seconds ahead of the next runner behind- so there is no reason that the wide 9k Gantry sensor should have missed him ' if he passed through it.
    The finishing gantry picked him up - so his chip was working.

Sounds like you are afraid of this guy? As if he is some mafia type character. Either call him out on his BS or find another pub. It's not like he is a mate anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Found him. Wasn't hard to do so. 37:23 my absolute hole! Give the fecker a slap, and hound him for your fiver!

There was someone with a 37:23 time when I looked 20 minutes ago, there doesn't seem to be anymore.

Think they have been removed from the results.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

<waves at Virgin Night Run people lurking in the forum. :) >

robinph wrote: »
    There was someone with a 37:23 time when I looked 20 minutes ago, there doesn't seem to be anymore.

Think they have been removed from the results.

You are right!

His name is goneeek.png

• Advertisement

You are right!

His name is goneeek.png

That settles it so.

Advertisement