Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Night Run April 2017

Options
  • 26-04-2017 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭

A guy I know in the local pub told me he was going to run in this 10k race.

He drinks a lot and jogs occasionally. He is 45 - pretty unfit.

He told me he intended to run the 10k in less than 40 minutes.

I laughed an told him I would give him 10/1 on a fiver.

Today he came into the pub with an official printout showing he finished into the top 40( I wont give exact place) overall with a time of close to 38 minutes.

The split times on the Virgin Media results site show that his race 'started ' 18 minutes after the elite athletes and may others had commenced running - so his time begins then from his chip.

That means he passed about 5000 runners - including many 'elites'

All other runners I have checked have a recorded time for the last 1k
    But he has none.

Is there a way to cheat the chip system on this type of race?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

What's his 9k split? Taking away the fact he doesn't have a last 1km split he must have had a 35ish split for the first 9k.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

What's his 9k split? Taking away the fact he doesn't have a last 1km split he must have had a 36ish split for the first 9k.

They give no splits.

Just the chip start time( in terms of how far behind the elites), the last 1k time and overall time.

Click on show splits and it shows you the start, 9km and last 1km.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

If I was to hazard a guess he cycled to the last 1km and got rid of the bike and ran the last 1km as fast as he could. I bet that last 1km split was slow! If you can find it!

• Advertisement

Click on show splits and it shows you the start, 9km and last 1km.

Hahaha

Everyone else in the top 50 ( I've checked) has a 9k split - but he has none:cool::cool:

keps wrote:
    Everyone else in the top 50 ( I've checked) has a 9k split - but he has none

How on earth did he get a time of 38 mins so?

How on earth did he get a time of 38 mins so?

I don't want to name the guy
    I will send you a pm of his official time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Have you a link to the results site? Can't find it

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

Lazare wrote: »
    Have you a link to the results site? Can't find it

www.virginmedia.ie/nightrun/results/

• Advertisement

keps wrote: »
    Without naming anyone - place?

That's strange. I guess he didn't go over the sensor at the 3arena... and if he missed that, I'd question what other parts of the course he missed.

That's strange. I guess he didn't go over the sensor at the 3arena... and if he missed that, I'd question what other parts of the course he missed.

Its the 18 minute start time that has me baffled.

Its the 18 minute start time that has me baffled.

That puts him right at the back. I started around the 13 minute mark, and I think I was at the front of the 56+ minutes group.
    All of the walkers were behind me, but 5 minutes behind me isn't that unrealistic given how slow they were to start people.

But, thinking about it... there's no way someone did 38 minutes with all the traffic in front of him!

Ah now I see. Ok so he was part of the late start group and short cutted the entire race and just crossed the line after 55 minutes. Minus the 18. That would explain the missed splits.

Pretty easy to find your friend there btw.

Who cares. Shame on him! ;)

Ah now I see. Ok so he was part of the late start group and short cutted the entire race and just crossed the line after 55 minutes. Minus the 18. That would explain the missed splits.

That is my reading

keps wrote:
    That is my reading

I didn't realise that run is set off in sections.

Pretty easy to find your friend there btw.

Not a friend- A guy I know from the pub- trying to take 50 euros off me on a bet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'd say he walked over the start line, nipped across the bridge to The Ferryman for a quick pint, then strolled over to the finish line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Not a friend- A guy I know from the pub- trying to take 50 euros off me on a bet

Does he have a beer gut?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Does he have a beer gut?

Yes he does :rolleyes:

Just spotted that I came in 45 seconds ahead of him, probably passed him on that last stretch. Trying to remember seeing anyone ducking in but can't, although that last k is a blur. He must have hopped in around that point given he's no 9k split.

Just spotted that I came in 45 seconds ahead of him, probably passed him on that last stretch. Trying to remember seeing anyone ducking in but can't, although that last k is a blur. He must have hopped in around that point given he's no 9k split.

Well done yourself - that was a good time

Yes he does :rolleyes:

Get him outside the next time you meet him. Get him to run 400m in 91 seconds (the pace of his phantom 10k). Guarantee you he won't be able to manage this for a mere 400m.

Don't know why you are being so kind to this guy who is trying to take you for a fool. Expose the phoney. We want a name!

Well done yourself - that was a good time

God no man, lol, his gross time. Did get a sub 50 though which I was delighted with.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Get him outside the next time you meet him. Get him to run 400m in 91 seconds (the pace of his phantom 10k). Guarantee you he won't be able to manage this for a mere 400m.

Don't know why you are being so kind to this guy who is trying to take you for a fool. Expose the phoney. We want a name!

I'm afraid it could be classed as ' libel' as it may prove difficult to prove he didn't run the full distance.

I'm afraid it could be classed as ' libel' as it may prove difficult to prove he didn't run the full distance.

It's very easy to prove he didn't. The beer gut for a start!

I hope you didn't pay up?

• Advertisement

Found him. Wasn't hard to do so. 37:23 my absolute hole! Give the fecker a slap, and hound him for your fiver!

Advertisement