Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

katie price n word outrage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

She could have just said nagger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

So long as she didn't say Jehovah.

As a lover of real boobs, mock breasts offend me.

To whom can I send my complaint?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

seamus wrote: »
    Anyone who gets upset about the word n1gger being uttered or written in isolation is getting offended for no reason other than believe they're supposed to get offended.

There was a similar incident in the US where in the course of an interview on a news show, one man said the word in a similar context to Katie Price, and the anchor lost it. She was unable to continue to the interview because she couldn't concentrate, was "shocked" that the interviewee would say the word on-air and was almost in tears. She had to end the interview.

Of course, she was a white woman with blond hair. She was getting upset about the word because she had been conditioned to think the word itself was offensive and upsetting, not because she had any particular reason to be offended by the word.

Did Katie Price know exactly what she was doing when she said it? Yes, she did. But she said it in order to adequately illustrate just how hurtful the abuse is. Saying "the n-word" is like saying "oh fiddlesticks" instead of "fuck". The impact is lost.

It reminds me of some of the older people I work with, using the term "coloured" people, if discussing black people/culture etc. Yet when I say "black" they seem offended or look at me strange as if I'm some sort of racist monster. Even worse is "African american"- we're in Ireland, the person you're talking about is more than likely an Irish citizen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

WHY Though? The child is not being called "the n word" he's being called ******

By making a song and dance, she's fuelling things. Trolls see that it hit the media so they do it again. She is drawing their attention to her kids. She also knows this and so has no intention of toning things down. Headlines = relevancy, or something. There is a less sensationalist way to discuss it that may be more helpful long-term but I can't see that being of much interest to KP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Murrisk wrote: »
    By making a song and dance, she's fuelling things. Trolls see that it hit the media so they do it again. She is drawing their attention to her kids. She also knows this and so has no intention of toning things down. Headlines = relevancy, or something. There is a less sensationalist way to discuss it that may be more helpful long-term but I can't see that being of much interest to KP.
    I'm no fan of Jordan but she's not wrong here and to state otherwise would be erring in the side of blaming the victim. Her child is disabled, blind and a child for godsake. It's not her sensationalising the bullying, it's happening to her child. If your child was being bullied relentlessly, would you be sensationalising the problem going to the principal in school just incase it may infuriate the bullies moreso? Harvey is being bullied and trolled all over the Internet, by adults, around the entire country. Not a few kids his own age in a playground. That is disgusting and given he's 14, and this is nothing new, I'd say she's bit her tongue long enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'm no fan of Jordan but she's not wrong here and to state otherwise would be erring in the side of blaming the victim. Her child is disabled, blind and a child for godsake. It's not her sensationalising the bullying, it's happening to her child. If your child was being bullied relentlessly, would you be sensationalising the problem going to the principal in school just incase it may infuriate the bullies moreso? Harvey is being bullied and trolled all over the Internet, by adults, around the entire country. Not a few kids his own age in a playground. That is disgusting and given he's 14, and this is nothing new, I'd say she's bit her tongue long enough.

Is it possible to bully someone if they are completely unaware of it??

The definition in the Oxford dictionary is "To use strength or influence to harm or intimidate those who are weaker".

Is it possible to bully someone if they are completely unaware of it??

The definition in the Oxford dictionary is "To use strength or influence to harm or intimidate those who are weaker".
    Yes. Is it okay if I make fun of or intimidate an intellectually disabled child on the street?

Yes. Is it okay if I make fun of or intimidate an intellectually disabled child on the street?

If you intimidate or make fun of them on the street they are present and will see/hear the abuse/intimidation.

How can you intimidate someone who doesn't even know you exist??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I think shes an idiot.

I see no problem in a mature society in being allowed to use a pejorative word when discussing the use of the word.

But not on this morning love. Catch up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

If you intimidate or make fun of them on the street they are present and will see/hear the abuse/intimidation.

You are been pedantic, word picking.
    It is not ok to be offensive to other people, never mind a child who is disabled. It offends a lot more than that child and is indefensible IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Do you think people are going to turn around to that point and say, "OK, racially abusing a blind and deaf child is OK in those circumstances."?

I'm all for winning an argument, but this thread is about a disabled kid who is being called a ******.

Winterlong wrote: »
    You are been pedantic, word picking.
    It is not ok to be offensive to other people, never mind a child who is disabled. It offends a lot more than that child and is indefensible IMO.

I'm not being pedantic, they are 2 totally different scenarios.

In one, you are face to face with someone who you are abusing or belittling.

In the other, you are talking to no-one, the subject of your abuse/belittlement has no idea of it and probably never will, except when his mother decides it'll keep her relevant and get her column inches and uses you as an accessory to get air time.

In the other, you are talking to no-one, the subject of your abuse/belittlement has no idea of it and probably never will, except when his mother decides it'll keep her relevant and get her column inches and uses you as an accessory to get air time.

And in both cases it is not acceptable. In your second scenario it is the mother and family who are hurt and that is probably the point of the abuse. To hurt the mother.
    Its a scummy thing to do and a scummy thing to try to defend.

NO you're asking can you bully someone if they're unaware? If someone is intellectually disable don't and blind they wouldn't be aware you're standing there making rude offensive gestures (because they can't see) and may not understand the impact of the words you are speaking to them to perceive themselves as being intimidated or under threat. You're basically saying online bullying is okay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Why are so many obsessed with Harvey? Its bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Why are so many obsessed with Harvey? Its bizarre.

If only his Dad was.

Dwight Yorke is a horrible excuse of a person.

+1, she has a part in this. There will always be troglodytes out there and they should be punished for the abuse they mete out if possible - that goes without saying. But pushing your children into the spotlight is exposing them to these idiots and that's why most high profile folk do their best to shelter their offspring. But KP and the likes of the Beckhams see their children as commodities and push them front and centre. Totally wrong. She is absolutely partly to blame here, IMO, but has shrewdly realised that nobody will really publically criticise her for her wildly inappropriate commoditisation of her kids and the damage it could do to them. The responses here show that.

NO you're asking can you bully someone if they're unaware? If someone is intellectually disable don't and blind they wouldn't be aware you're standing there making rude offensive gestures (because they can't see) and may not understand the impact of the words you are speaking to them to perceive themselves as being intimidated or under threat. You're basically saying online bullying is okay.

To bully or intimidate someone they have to be aware of it.

You are twisting my words in all sorts of directions to suit your narrative because you cannot answer my question. How do you bully someone if they are not aware of you, or anything you have said or written. How do you intimidate someone that doesn't know that you exist. It is not possible.

You are twisting my words in all sorts of directions to suit your narrative because you cannot answer my question. How do you bully someone if they are not aware of you, or anything you have said or written. How do you intimidate someone that doesn't know that you exist. It is not possible.

Indeed KP making a big deal might draw his attention to it where he mightn't have noticed otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

jesus ..do you need to be so feckin pedantic...maybe shes the one who is feeling intimidated and bullied ...so what..it her child.Im not sure that going on TV makes much difference however and possibly only serves the interests of the media getting a story.It does show how low trolls will stoop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

This is an honest question, and I'm not beig a d*ck here, are you assuming here that Harvey doesn't hear or read the abuse that is directed towards him?

There is also a wider impact, Harvey has siblings of varying ages that have to put up with this abuse aimed at their brother. So they see their brother being targetted for online bullying.

If you watch the twitter video in the OP of this Katie actually says that she is using her place in celebrity to help spread the word of what is going on, and it's not just to her son.
    There is 0 shame in using your fame for good.

I do not agree with alot her antcis in the past, and I don't like her using Harvey as a trophy in this case either by bringing him around putting him in front of cameras, that's not necessary.
    But she is trying something and using her fame as a platform to get a wider reach.

I don't buy at all that her motivation is to combat online bullying, especially she has been instrumental in pushing her children into the spotlight. She never misses an opportunity to promote them and that brings them much more to the attention of all the lovely trolls out there. Hugely irresponsible parenting which makes her claims of trying to help seem very hollow indeed. If her children are upset about the trolling directed at Harvey, who put them all in a position where they are high profile enough to receive such attention?

I guess this is all a matter of opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Hate how it's referred to as the 'n word'. It's ******, an offensive word sure, but just a word at the end of the day. It's not some dangerous black magic incantation.

We don't refer to Mick as the 'm word' for example.

Funnily enough, 'white n.......' was also a phrase for the Irish on the east coast of the States.

So what? She's supposed to hide her son in a cupboard because he's the wrong colour and not perfectly healthy?

So what? She's supposed to hide her son in a cupboard because he's the wrong colour and not perfectly healthy?

What? :confused: That's not what I said at all. Dramatics! I'm sure you understand that I mean a normal childhood, not one in the glare of the public eye. Lots of famous people give their children a very normal childhood and have them barely photographed and actively avoid having them in the spotlight. How you would equate that to the above-quoted hyperbole, I have no idea. :confused: Hide him away... what? :confused::confused: I mentioned all her kids too, as you well know.

Murrisk wrote: »
    I don't buy at all that her motivation is to combat online bullying, especially she has been instrumental in pushing her children into the spotlight. She never misses an opportunity to promote them and that brings them much more to the attention of all the lovely trolls out there. Hugely irresponsible parenting which makes her claims of trying to help seem very hollow indeed. If her children are upset about the trolling directed at Harvey, who put them all in a position where they are high profile enough to receive such attention?

I guess this is all a matter of opinion.

It is a matter of opinion. I dont know her motivations but suspect she has just had enough after 14 years.
    Maybe other families who have handicapped loved ones and have been victims of abuse welcome that a high profile figure is bringing the issue in to the public domain.
    Maybe the awareness will stop just one scrote from doing this in the future and spare some other families some pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

I watched the interview. She said n****r when describing what her son was being called.

Philip Schofield in like a shot and told her not to use that word.

How can a conversation take place if someone decides using a word is an offence.

It's a horrible word with terrible connotations but is also a word that exists and has a time and place for its use.

One example of its proper use was Katie Price detailing what names her son was called. The conversation then becomes about her using a word instead of one about her son, who she will need to look after for the rest of her life, and the crap he had to deal with.

I love Louis CKs take on 'the n word', very accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

WHY Though? The child is not being called "the n word" he's being called ******

Because it's what people are supposed to do on daytime television, especially in the UK, where they're a lot more serious about swearing on TV than we are here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The comments on that video show how idiotic people are. For instance this drivel got 378 likes.
    People knew it wasn't acceptable before you started throwing the word about you fuckin bellend.

Then there's these. You can tell by their profile pictures they're the "I'm so oppressed. Sent from my iPhone" type.
    Regardless of the reason you said it. YOU ARE WHITE don't say it again
    The fact that your son has been racially abused in the past is not a licence for you to then be a hypocrite and use the word

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

I googled this " Katie Price ", earlier. I wanted to see who it was.

Then, I bleached my eyes.

Advertisement