Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casefile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

The latest episode is very good but what an absolutely mental story.
    how the **** can you not recognise your own kid?? And with a French accent

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Is the new three parter worth listening to? Been burnt so bad by this pod lately... Really has nosedived in the content.

This week was just a one parter I thought Nicholas Barclay, it was very well told but absolutely heartbreaking

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

The latest episode is very good but what an absolutely mental story.
    how the **** can you not recognise your own kid?? And with a French accent
    Id say the guilt and sadness of him going missing and the wish that it was him? I don’t know? With the mam being a drug addict and that who knows. Very sad the other brother dying too. Your man was a sh1t trying to blame the family then.

Duke maybe spoiler that so as not to give too much away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

pc7 wrote: »
    Duke maybe spoiler that so as not to give too much away

Sorry pc7, I deleted it altogether.

There's a movie called The Imposter about it.

• Advertisement

Cheers will check it out.

Felt it was back to Casefile of old, like he was more into it and not just reading a script.

Id say the guilt and sadness of him going missing and the wish that it was him? I don’t know? With the mam being a drug addict and that who knows. Very sad the other brother dying too. Your man was a sh1t trying to blame the family then.

I don't believe someone could be that stupid. I think the older brother killed Nicholas and they covering up

Is the new three parter worth listening to? Been burnt so bad by this pod lately... Really has nosedived in the content.

what 3-parter?

the only 2 episodes so far in 2021 have been 1-parters.

Casefile 166 about the family murders was very gruesome and tough listening.

To think that at least one of the victims was vilely raped and abused over 5 weeks.

Then that animal got erectile-dysfunction medication given to him inside in prison and raped another inmate.

• Advertisement

Absolutely awful. I wasn’t aware of it. Sometimes you forget there are animals out there :( I’d say there were a lot more victims than they even know about.

glasso wrote: »
    Casefile 166 about the family murders was very gruesome and tough listening.

To think that at least one of the victims was vilely raped and abused over 5 weeks.

Then that animal got erectile-dysfunction medication given to him inside in prison and raped another inmate.

This was horrendous. What was the justification for giving a convicted rapist this medication??

And absolutely no way this case is restricted to this animal. No doubt the highest echelons of society included

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Haven't listened to the latest, very boring in the last while and his voice is really grating on me now.

Haven't listened to the latest, very boring in the last while and his voice is really grating on me now.

Some episodes have been very hit and miss but the new one is excellent but a harrowing story

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Some episodes have been very hit and miss but the new one is excellent but a harrowing story

OK cheers I'll have a listen

This was horrendous. What was the justification for giving a convicted rapist this medication??

And absolutely no way this case is restricted to this animal. No doubt the highest echelons of society included

There was a wealthy businessman mentioned but I'm not sure about the supposition that it's the high and mighty involved in these things

that's like something out of Line of Duty and the sort of thing that got started that Qanon rubbish started

mainly it's just evil facking freaks.

They don't have to be upper class and usually aren't

Like in the UK - that terrible Rotherham case
    In 2014, revelations that as many as 1,400 children were sexually abused by gangs of predominantly Asian men in Rotherham shocked Britain. Eight men were found guilty in 2016 of waging what prosecutors called an “utterly abhorrent” campaign of sexual violence and intimidation against girls in the Rotherham area.

they were just average sick facks

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-45980210

glasso wrote: »
    There was a wealthy businessman mentioned but I'm not sure about the supposition that it's the high and mighty involved in these things

that's like something out of Line of Duty and the sort of thing that got started that Qanon rubbish started

mainly it's just evil facking freaks.

They don't have to be upper class and usually aren't

Like in the UK - that terrible Rotherham case

they were just average sick facks

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-45980210

The Police believe that high profile Austrialians were involved. The Family Murders is probably as grim as it gets

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Three cracking episodes to start 2021 for Casefile. The Nicholas Barclay one was mad stuff.

The Police believe that high profile Austrialians were involved. The Family Murders is probably as grim as it gets

wikipedia ->

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Family_Murders
    Police believe that up to 12 people, several of them high-profile Australians, were involved in the kidnappings.[2] The suspects and their associates were linked mainly by their shared habits of "actively [having] sought out young males for sex," sometimes drugging and raping their victims.[3]

then you go to the quoted article for the "high-profile" connection citation

and it's no actual quote from the police at all just the journalist who wrote
    The killings of Alan Barnes, Neil Muir, Mark Langley, Peter Stogneff and Richard Kelvin were dubbed the Family murders because of suggestions a group of closely-connected, high-profile men were involved.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/reward-doubled-to-solve-family-murders-20081028-5a84.html

whenever there's a pedo ring there's always some suggestion that they are all "high-profile" with probably some assistant police commissioner involved covering it up

Casefile didn't use the term "high-profile" afair except mentioning the wealthy businessman who liked trying to get his rocks off in the public jacks every day

Absolutely heartbreaking this week, usually try skip kiddie ones but was our for a long walk so just listened. Felt it was well told and Casefile of old, but just fooking tragic. Reminded me of similar case here in Ireland :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Maybe it's because I don't have kids but I felt the opposite, boring enough episode where it was blatantly obvious from the start what happened.

I think I'm getting a bit fatigued with Casefile at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

17 minutes. That's how long I lasted with the new episode.

Beyond convoluted. I've no more interest in this pod. It's gone from one of the best around there go utter garbage.

I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I really enjoyed this weeks episode. The story changes around half way through to be about
    false confessions
    . This has always interested me.

I admit it was very difficult to follow as there were a lot of people involved, tricky Icelandic names (sons and dottirs) and a few people with similar names. I recommend a pen and paper to keep track.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

I liked the Icelandic one, something different.

Another podcast covered it recently, so I just didn’t bother this week

Another podcast covered it recently, so I just didn’t bother this week

I'm sure there was a documentary done on this a few years ago. It rings a bell with me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Maybe it's because I don't have kids but I felt the opposite, boring enough episode where it was blatantly obvious from the start what happened.

I think I'm getting a bit fatigued with Casefile at this stage.

I hate to say it - I started the thread after all - but, the quality of the shows has dropped an awful lot from what it once was.

Every case they did for the first year or so was dynamite. I find most of them these days not that interesting and overly convoluted. Here and there the quality returns.

Arghus wrote: »
    I hate to say it - I started the thread after all - but, the quality of the shows has dropped an awful lot from what it once was.

Every case they did for the first year or so was dynamite. I find most of them these days not that interesting and overly convoluted. Here and there the quality returns.

I've noticed whoever scripts the shows never heard of spoilers.
    You're about two minutes into the current pod and one of the lines is "and we never knew who the identity of the man in the yellow top was".... I mean wtf, this pod always kept you guessing, it was more of a "who done it" pod, now it's like they're reading newspaper articles, it's so so lazy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's probably to be expected the longer a show like this runs and runs. There's only so many wildly interesting crime stories out there that haven't been covered elsewhere already - eventually the material is going to suffer a bit.

Though, I think the overall quality of the script writing has dropped a bit as time has gone on. I'm often left confused at who exactly is who in the stories and what exactly is the significance of each detail in the tale in the wider context, it can get murky. Now, maybe that's just me, but it felt like he cut to the chase with more precision and clarity back in the day.

It's still up there in terms of True Crime podcasts. The narrator isn't annoying, doesn't crack jokes about the crimes and the production quality is good and some episodes hit the mark - The Dennis Nielsen mini-series was excellent.

My main hate with true crime shows is when the host(s) are irritating, fond of their own voices and it all comes across as a right old laugh - I can not stand something like My Favourite Murder, but there's loads just like it - Casefile, at least, doesn't fall victim to this.

Though, as of late, I'd probably listen to They Walk Among Us instead of it. He's even drier and just the bare bones facts, with zero extraneous bullshít.

• Advertisement

It is such a pity, I absolutely loved Casefile but it has dropped and as mentioned above still a rare good one interspersed.

Advertisement