Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus for 2nd Level Student Scary Prices!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't think thats right. Leaps website says trains and Cork city services, nothing about commuter services.
    Some if the routes are hybrid city / commuter routes, e.g. 215, 220. http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=235
    https://about.leapcard.ie/cork
    http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/cork-cobh-midleton

415772.png
    REturn ticket is 15 euro
    But who buys the reurn ticket if travelling every day? You've already been told the following.
    n97 mini wrote: »
    Student 10 journey is EUR54.50, ie just under EUR11 return.
    n97 mini wrote: »
    Student 7-day Leap fare is EUR55. Slightly better value than a Student 10-journey ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's only about 150 days of school when you take out holidays, mid terms etc - so about €1650 for the year if you go with the 10 journey ticket which is less than half your original estimate. Still not great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Victor wrote: »

But who buys the reurn ticket if travelling every day? You've already been told the following.

Fuel costs are still only 50% of that cost. I was told an interesting fact or what the teller told me as fact. About 6 months ago he inquired about a yearly commuter ticket on a bus eireann route. He was inforned that yearly commuter tickets were only avaailable on the tax saver through an employer. I taught it strange that BE did not do yearly tickets for regular travellers for what ever reason they travel.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I would be surprised if a 10 journey child ticket would not be issued by a driver in this case anyway.The vast majority of 2nd level students are under 16.If the girl is in her uniform I don't think she would be questioned on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

How can she get a taxsaver ticket when she's a student? Or are you suggesting breaking the law?
    magentis wrote: »
    I would be surprised if a 10 journey child ticket would not be issued by a driver in this case anyway.The vast majority of 2nd level students are under 16.If the girl is in her uniform I don't think she would be questioned on it.

You better be careful we have been here before. There is a real issue with ticket structureing accross PT and with BE in particular. In thsi case it is the hoops that a parent has to jump through to get there child to school at a reasonable cost. But generally accross BE there is this issue where other find general cost too much. This is why we have such high car ownership figures and why people use cars instead of PT.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

magentis wrote: »

Is that not fare evasion? Not good advice if so. It will result in a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

You better be careful we have been here before. There is a real issue with ticket structureing accross PT and with BE in particular. In thsi case it is the hoops that a parent has to jump through to get there child to school at a reasonable cost. But generally accross BE there is this issue where other find general cost too much. This is why we have such high car ownership figures and why people use cars instead of PT.

that may be true, but in fairness travelling from Edenderry to school in Celbridge is a bit of a niche case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,639 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No I did not look at this specific case. I was posting about the bus service in general in rural Ireland and how it encorages car ownership. It is even more stark than that it make people buy second cars and encorages car ownership amoung young aduls

Most households in Dublin have two cars, let alone rural Ireland being honest about it.

With respect it is pretty clear that you haven't actually looked at the changes to the PSO Network that the NTA have initiated over the recent years. There have been wholesale improvements to routes and timetables across the country to actually make them relevant to potential users, facilitating students, people attending hospitals, and commuters.

Of course there will be areas that just have limited services, but on most main corridors into commuter locations the frequency and routes have been ramped up - and it's pretty apparent to me that you aren't aware of these changes. It's pretty clear that the NTA strategy has been to switch the focus of BE onto commuter and inter-town services, and move the once per week social services over to the rural transport service (local link).

For sure there is still some considerable way to go but there have been marked improvements in service provision over the last five years, and that fact seem to have completely escaped you, considering you hadn't even bothered to look at the service levels on this corridor before making your comment.

As above - this is hardly a typical example to base a wide ranging comment on. Very few children would be travelling that distance to/from school. There are plenty of reasonable ticketing options for what would be normal school commutes.

Advertisement