Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus for 2nd Level Student Scary Prices!

Options
  • 24-04-2017 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi,

I hope you help me very much here....as Im looking for a prompt advice.
    My 17 year old daughter attend to school in Celbridge, where we live now. She is in her 5th year now, and she do not use any bus service.

In July we will move to Edenderry, Co. Offaly, where we could afford to buy own house.
    Our daughter, without any stress of changing the schools for  her 6th year and living cert, could take BE bus no 120 from Edenderry to Celbridge <-> Celbridge-Edenderry from Monday-Friday. 

My questions is- is there any way she could apply for school service, or if not can you let us know what would be the price of yearly school ticket on that route please.

The price with return is showing 15 euro!! That would be 3400 over year only for a bus??!!

Please help with your advice/ Thank You!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,177 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are there no weekly/monthly tickets available?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,385 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

sabinalee wrote: »
    Hi,

My 17 year old daughter attend to school in Celbridge, where we live now. She is in her 5th year now, and she do not use any bus service.

In July we will move to Edenderry, Co. Offaly, where we could afford to buy own house.
    Our daughter, without any stress of changing the schools for  her 6th year and living cert, could take BE bus no 120 from Edenderry to Celbridge <-> Celbridge-Edenderry from Monday-Friday. 

My questions is- is there any way she could apply for school service, or if not can you let us know what would be the price of yearly school ticket on that route please.

The price with return is showing 15 euro!! That would be 3400 over year only for a bus??!!

Unless there is a present school buss service she cannot avail of that. However you can get a yearly student rate commuter ticket check with bus company for the cost. Another option would be to get an adult yearly commuter ticket through work. Paying by the day is the most expensive option

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Student 10 journey is EUR54.50, ie just under EUR11 return.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

A personalised child leap card is valid until the last day of the 18th birthday.

Check with Bus Eireann to see can she use this to buy child fares.

https://about.leapcard.ie/about/card-ticket-types/child-leap-card

• Registered Users Posts: 25,851 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

. Another option would be to get an adult yearly commuter ticket through work. Paying by the day is the most expensive option

Not an option because taxsaver tickets are only valid for the purchaser to use, npt their kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Unless there is a present school buss service she cannot avail of that. However you can get a yearly student rate commuter ticket check with bus company for the cost. Another option would be to get an adult yearly commuter ticket through work. Paying by the day is the most expensive option

How can she get a taxsaver ticket when she's a student? Or are you suggesting breaking the law?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sabinalee

OMG, I cant imagine to pay so many thousands euro over year for the bus tickets for 17 year old...
    Am I in position to put my daughter with so much stress changing the school for the 6th year leaving cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Student 7-day Leap fare is EUR55. Slightly better value than a Student 10-journey ticket.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Student 7-day Leap fare is EUR55. Slightly better value than a Student 10-journey ticket.

Do leap cards work on Bus Eireann regional services though?

How can she get a taxsaver ticket when she's a student? Or are you suggesting breaking the law?

She may have a summer/parttime job that would make it tax efficient. It is also virtually impossible for 2nd level students to get student cards so a student ticket may not be an option. No I am not suggesting breaking the law. But this situation again show the crock of a bus service we have where individuals have to jump through hoops to try to get to school or work. It is really down to the situation where a commuter if buying tickets daily for about 8 months of the year will pay over 3 grand to commute less than 45 KM. If they are paying 3K they be better off getting there child a car it would be in the same price bracket.

This couple are obiviously in the low to middle income bracket if they have to move that far to buy a house and cannot afford to but within the dublin commuter belt. So no matter what way they can reduce there daughters travel cost at a critical time for them and especially for there daughter who's results will decide her future career. It about humanity and understanding not political correctness

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

OP ring BE often they have yearly tickets on such routes that are not available online. These may be cheaper than above options. Also there may be 2nd school tickets that are a cheaper option.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

Hi,

At €15 per day for 34 weeks that's €2550 (not €3400).
    At €11 per week (as someone mentioned) for 34 weeks that's €374

• Registered Users Posts: 78,353 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OMG, I cant imagine to pay so many thousands euro over year for the bus tickets for 17 year old...
    Realise that these are counter-balancing costs.
    A personalised child leap card is valid until the last day of the 18th birthday.
    More correctly, until the day before their 19th birthday.
    Do leap cards work on Bus Eireann regional services though?
    In Dublin, yes. Also commuter services in Cork. Other areas subject to checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

sabinalee wrote:
    Our daughter, without any stress of changing the schools for her 6th year and living cert, could take BE bus no 120 from Edenderry to Celbridge Celbridge-Edenderry from Monday-Friday.

You should rethink this. As a parent myself I understand that we can be over protective of your kids but that's not to say that it will be stressful.

There might also be positives in changing to a local school such as new friends, no travel stress and reduced time traveling. Especially as the change is at the start of a school year.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭paulmurphyvec

Maybe contact Bus Eireann and see?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭paulmurphyvec

Maybe contact Bus Eireann directly and ask them, they are usually very helpful.

Emailed them already. I will call them tomorrow, if no reply.
    Thank You to all of You.

sabinalee wrote:
    Our daughter, without any stress of changing the schools for her 6th year and living cert, could take BE bus no 120 from Edenderry to Celbridge Celbridge-Edenderry from Monday-Friday.

You should rethink this. As a parent myself I understand that we can be over protective of your kids but that's not to say that it will be stressful.

There might also be positives in changing to a local school such as new friends, no travel stress and reduced time traveling. Especially as the change is at the start of a school year.
    Schools in Edenderry are good, but she already picked the leaving cert subjects last year. Not all of them...like for example Technology is offered in the local schools...which means, she would have to pick new one and prepare extremely fast to pass exam + study to 6 others subjects.
    She was even thinking about repeating 5th year....and start again with new set of subjects, but I don"t think schools would agree for this.
    We have no choice...after 10 years with same landlord, rent increase and now decision about selling the house in  July, we have to move...and finally we can owe our own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

from what I can see the school transport scheme can also be granted for scheduled services which is then only a few hundred per year.
    You would need to create an account with the school transport scheme, add your child with their new home address and the school and submit an application.
    http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=257

but as said above, ring them and they should have an idea if in principle you can get a ticket and if that bus has capacity for more school kids.
    Your new address is in Offaly so I presume these are the guys to ring:

Westmeath, Longford, Offaly, Roscommon, Laois
    Bus ?ireann School Transport Office
    Station Road
    Athlone
    090 6473277

I agree we can be over protective of Children. However leaving certificate is such a critical exam now it decide's a lot of a young person future. Maybe if the child was only doing the junior cert it would not be as critical or at the begining of 5th year. Subject choice is a huge issue at leaving cert and as well the child may be put into unsuitable classes.
    Schools in Edenderry are good, but she already picked the leaving cert subjects last year. Not all of them...like for example Technology is offered in the local schools...which means, she would have to pick new one and prepare extremely fast to pass exam + study to 6 others subjects.
    She was even thinking about repeating 5th year....and start again with new set of subjects, but I don"t think schools would agree for this.
    We have no choice...after 10 years with same landlord, rent increase and now decision about selling the house in  July, we have to move...and finally we can owe our own house.

Best of luck with the new house and hope it works out for you all in your new home.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Macker1

At €15 per day for 34 weeks that's €2550 (not €3400). At €11 per week (as someone mentioned) for 34 weeks that's €374

That's 11 euro a day.........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,177 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

She may have a summer/parttime job that would make it tax efficient
    i can't see a summer job earning enough to get into even the lower tax bracket, which would mean there would be zero tax efficiency on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ludite

Depending on the bus driver, you could try get a childs ticket. I was able to get one when I was in 6th year.

Victor wrote: »
    In Dublin, yes. Also commuter services in Cork. Other areas subject to checking.

I don't think thats right. Leaps website says trains and Cork city services, nothing about commuter services.

For Dublin it says BE services in the "Eastern region (excluding expressway)" - but doesn't define what the eastern region is.

Your figures are based on a 46 week year, school isn't a full time job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Op, that would partly be the reason why the house is cheaper in Edenderry; because of the transport links. With that level of travel, overall expense to the family might not move much. Also, 2 hours travelling per day is likely to take its toll in Leaving Cert year, I'd be cautious if it was an option and think through it due to the impact it has on your child.

Best wishes.

myshirt wrote: »
    Op, that would partly be the reason why the house is cheaper in Edenderry; because of the transport links. With that level of travel, overall expense to the family might not move much. Also, 2 hours travelling per day is likely to take its toll in Leaving Cert year, I'd be cautious if it was an option and think through it due to the impact it has on your child.

Best wishes.
    But I wasn't that smart... but still hoping we will find best way to our daughter.

Augeo wrote: »

Your figures are based on a 46 week year, school isn't a full time job :)
    I was rushing on my break at work posting my topic, sorry, I calculated this not super accurately. 
    Still, it would be too much to pay if she pay for day-to day student ticket.
    School is the full time...hard work...for students.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I don't think thats right. Leaps website says trains and Cork city services, nothing about commuter services.

For Dublin it says BE services in the "Eastern region (excluding expressway)" - but doesn't define what the eastern region is.

Just to correct this.

LEAP Cards most certainly do work on all of Bus Eireann PSO services in the eastern region - there are zonal fares.

The full list of routes is on the Leap Card Dublin page on the Bus Eireann website - scroll down the page.

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=234

• Advertisement

I agree we can be over protective of Children. However leaving certificate is such a critical exam now it decide's a lot of a young person future. Maybe if the child was only doing the junior cert it would not be as critical or at the begining of 5th year. Subject choice is a huge issue at leaving cert and as well the child may be put into unsuitable classes.

Best of luck with the new house and hope it works out for you all in your new home.

hank You. We are always very positive, We found lovely house in the place where the bus could pass our daughter school.place, let her finish great job..but ..I never realized, as I'm not a public transport user, that the BE prices are so expensive. My fault.Will call to every possible places, email, etc and we will get there ( again ) smile.png

Advertisement