Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus for 2nd Level Student Scary Prices!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sabinalee

lxflyer wrote: »
    I don't think thats right.  Leaps website says trains and Cork city services, nothing about commuter services.

For Dublin it says BE services in the "Eastern region (excluding expressway)" - but doesn't define what the eastern region is.

Just to correct this.

LEAP Cards most certainly do work on all of Bus Eireann PSO services in the eastern region - there are zonal fares.

The full list of routes is on the Leap Card Dublin page on the Bus Eireann website - scroll down the page.

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=234
    Unfortunately, looks like yellow zone, where Edenderry is   not apply to child or student leap card users.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭C3PO

I really don't want to appear rude but Edenderry to Celbridge is approx. 43kms - how much would you expect to pay for a 90kms round trip? According to the Bus Eireann timetable (Route 120) the journey takes 60 minutes each way and leaves every 30 minutes - that's a huge chunk of time for a child that's studying for her leaving!

I would not expect to pay 15 euro for daily return ticket if I was a student. I would share the room, closer to university, which i actually did.
    Maybe as a third option, we should rent her a room in a school principal house so we could avoid all transport issues. She could easily continue to be student of the year then :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,648 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

sabinalee wrote: »
    Unfortunately, looks like yellow zone, where Edenderry is not apply to child or student leap card users.

Student weekly Yellow Zone LEAP card fare is available - €55 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I would not expect to pay 15 euro for daily return ticket if I was a student. I would share the room, closer to university, which i actually did.
    Maybe as a third option, we should rent her a room in a school principal house so we could avoid all transport issues. She could easily continue to be student of the year then :P
    Will the rent be cheaper..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,392 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Augeo wrote: »
    Your figures are based on a 46 week year, school isn't a full time job :)

It immaterial really we can see from this why people choose to use there car to work rather than public transport. Distance between Edenderry to Celbridge is 43KM. An efficient Deiesel car will do 20km to the litre so about 5.5/day in fuel costs and a 35 minute journey. As opposed to BE 53 euro/week for a 10 journey ticket or over 10 euro/day and a one hour journey. This is why rural Ireland was not in a panic with the BE strike for most workers BE is immaterial as they cannot afford to travel to and from work using BE. They are too expensive and journeys take too long as well as timetable not frequent enough

Slava Ukrainii

5.50 a day in fuel..?

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    5.50 a day in fuel..?

yes in an fairly fuel efficient diesel car Hyundai I 30, diesel crolla 60ishMPG.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you do realise you have to buy the car though?

you do realise you have to buy the car though?

If you read my previous post I was explaining why people outside the major cities choose to use cars rather than travel by bus to work. The reality is bust service is limited and in general schedule is poor so the choice is it is more efficient to own a car. In general people need to travel at other times as well for shopping, leisue activitied and if you have children for after school activities so in general a car is a necessity in Ireland outside larger urban area's unless you live adajcent to work

When you have a car it is usually much cheaper to drive to work withh added flexability of time efficiency rather than be dependent on public transport

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

point being made was that you can't compare the cost of bus travel simply against the cost of the fuel to run a car for a similar journey. it's not a fair comparison, as it doesn't take all overheads - for either method - into account.

point being made was that you can't compare the cost of bus travel simply against the cost of the fuel to run a car for a similar journey. it's not a fair comparison, as it doesn't take all overheads - for either method - into account.

It should not be way cheaper for a person using a car rather than public transport to be willing to travel by themselves to and from work as fuel ios cheaper. Limerick to Tralee return journey is 18 euro. That is an over 100km journey. The main reason is that BE has to compete for business with a private operator. But PSO routes and there users are badly served by the present public transport system. This shows in the limited options available to OP.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭C3PO

It should not be way cheaper for a person using a car rather than public transport to be willing to travel by themselves to and from work as fuel ios cheaper. Limerick to Tralee return journey is 18 euro. That is an over 100km journey. The main reason is that BE has to compete for business with a private operator. But PSO routes and there users are badly served by the present public transport system. This shows in the limited options available to OP.

This is going way off topic but it would not be cheaper, never mind "way" cheaper, to use a car rather than public transport if you consider all of the cost of car ownership which I the point that Magicbastarder was making!

exactly - in the example above, the fuel costs are about half the bus ticket costs, but with the bus ticket there's no other costs such as tax, insurance, or ownership.

i don't envy the OP, if she's in a situation where she had to move much further out because of house prices. but one of the reasons that house prices are cheaper the further out you go is because it's harder to get decent services as the population levels and spread make them more expensive to provide.

i've lived in suburbs in dublin where there would be a bus along every ten minutes. one every half hour in edenderry doesn't sound unreasonable as a result. and a fiver (in essence) for a 43km bus trip is not that bad, considering i would pay €2.05 for a single ticket on dublin bus for a 5km trip.

i think one of the main issues here is that BE pricing is *not* structured with 90km round trips for unwaged secondary students in mind. and it'd be odd if it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,854 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

[quote="sabinalee;103314423"
    Maybe as a third option, we should rent her a room in a school principal house so we could avoid all transport issues. She could easily continue to be student of the year then :P[/quote]

I think you said that as a joke - but i was wondering if digs style accommodation four four nights a week might be an option.

Or maybe a friend of hers may have a spare room and a mother looking to make some cash?

It would depend on the kid, of course some simply would not be sensible enough. But it might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Insurance for a 17 year old presumably fully licensed driver - €2k per annum minimum.
    Motor Tax - Say €300.

Then you can add your fuel per trip and compare Bus vs Car.

House is not ours yet...only sale agreed :)

Even we can afford Tallagh, Clondalkin, Newbridge,  some parts of  Naas, or small rural town ( we did not like )... to get to Celbridge, she will have to get a bus, luas, or train or both and walk a lot more.
    We picked Edenderry as we thought it want be a huge problem to use public transport to Celbridge. Also, it is 30 minutes from our work places. Also, Edenderry has a good schools, and  we are sure our 6 year old son will be happy down in one of them.
    I did set up meetings with principals of Edenderry schools, to have a chat about our situation and what would be the best for our daughter in their opinions.

Most important - she is open to changes, and she gave us permission to move a bit further :) Life wouldnt be fair for her if she did not use HER VOTE :)
    Thank You all....! You brought me lots of different viewings on things now...

i nearly went from fifth year in dublin 15 to sixth year in a school in sligo. thankfully that move fell through!

I think you said that as a joke - but i was wondering if digs style accommodation four four nights a week might be an option.

Or maybe a friend of hers may have a spare room and a mother looking to make some cash?

It would depend on the kid, of course some simply would not be sensible enough.   But it might be an option.[/quote]

There is a few friendly people who already offered that option....so we will consider that too :)

It would depend on the kid, of course some simply would not be sensible enough.   But it might be an option.[/quote]

There is a few friendly people who already offered that option....so we will consider that too :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

A 90km journey is going to take at least a gallon of fuel,I reckon the bus would actually be cheaper going on just fuel costs.Not to mind insurance,tax,maintenance,depreciation and the fact the girl would not have to drive,allowing some study time.Parking may also be an issue at the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Leap card does work on the 120

House is not ours yet...only sale agreed :)

Even we can afford Tallagh, Clondalkin, Newbridge,  some parts of  Naas, or small rural town ( we did not like )... to get to Celbridge, she will have to get a bus, luas, or train or both and walk a lot more.
    We picked Edenderry as we thought it want be a huge problem to use public transport to Celbridge. Also, it is 30 minutes from our work places. Also, Edenderry has a good schools, and  we are sure our 6 year old son will be happy down in one of them.
    I did set up meetings with principals of Edenderry schools, to have a chat about our situation and what would be the best for our daughter in their opinions.

Most important - she is open to changes, and she gave us permission to move a bit further :) Life wouldnt be fair for her if she did not use HER VOTE :)
    Thank You all....! You brought me lots of different viewings on things now...
    My parents gave me the same permission years ago, not sure if they wanted me to go to offaly. The word off was used anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,648 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It immaterial really we can see from this why people choose to use there car to work rather than public transport. Distance between Edenderry to Celbridge is 43KM. An efficient Deiesel car will do 20km to the litre so about 5.5/day in fuel costs and a 35 minute journey. As opposed to BE 53 euro/week for a 10 journey ticket or over 10 euro/day and a one hour journey. This is why rural Ireland was not in a panic with the BE strike for most workers BE is immaterial as they cannot afford to travel to and from work using BE. They are too expensive and journeys take too long as well as timetable not frequent enough

With regard to frequency, how many buses do you think should be operating on the 120 between Dublin and Edenderry?

Surely every 15 minutes in the morning peak extending out to hourly all day (half hourly from Clane inwards) isn't exactly unreasonable for that corridor?

Or did you even look at the timetables before making that comment?

120/121: http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1425902267-120.pdf

123: http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1425902310-123.pdf

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    My parents gave me the same permission years ago, not sure if they wanted me to go to offaly. The word off was used anyway.

One of the life skills from my parents....always accept a challenge. Offaly here I come 🙄
    My daughter is planning study abroad ... she already knows how to make her bed, and how to throw the ball...! ☺

If you read my previous post I was explaining why people outside the major cities choose to use cars rather than travel by bus to work. The reality is bust service is limited and in general schedule is poor so the choice is it is more efficient to own a car. In general people need to travel at other times as well for shopping, leisue activitied and if you have children for after school activities so in general a car is a necessity in Ireland outside larger urban area's unless you live adajcent to work

When you have a car it is usually much cheaper to drive to work withh added flexability of time efficiency rather than be dependent on public transport

You need to quantify the total cost of ownership.
    Depreciation, tax, insurance, maintenance & fuel. You are looking at just fuel.
    LUNACY

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

snowflaker wrote: »
    Leap card does work on the 120

I doubt the leap card would be worth while as they are essentially tickets to Dublin City they'd be purchasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I doubt the leap card would be worth while as they are essentially tickets to Dublin City they'd be purchasing.

No - Edenderry to Celbridge

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

snowflaker wrote: »
    No - Edenderry to Celbridge

The zonal tickets are for to the city. Not between zones.

• Advertisement

C3PO wrote: »
    This is going way off topic but it would not be cheaper, never mind "way" cheaper, to use a car rather than public transport if you consider all of the cost of car ownership which I the point that Magicbastarder was making!

When you talk about Ireland outside the cities car owner is a necessity for virtuall al families and especially for people that work. It is interesting to see the high car ownership figure amoung non nationals who live in Ireland. What is really interesting most of these come from places where public transport is the norm but they find the Irish PT system inadeqaute and too expensive.

Insurance for a 17 year old presumably fully licensed driver - €2k per annum minimum.
    Motor Tax - Say €300.

Then you can add your fuel per trip and compare Bus vs Car.

I did not reccoment it for the 17 year old I was explaining that the high cost of public transport was discouraging people from PT use
    magentis wrote: »
    A 90km journey is going to take at least a gallon of fuel,I reckon the bus would actually be cheaper going on just fuel costs.Not to mind insurance,tax,maintenance,depreciation and the fact the girl would not have to drive,allowing some study time.Parking may also be an issue at the school.

Agreed 90 KN will use about 5 L ( a little over a gallon) of diesel in a fuel efficient car cost is Cost is 6.25. REturn ticket is 15 euro
    lxflyer wrote: »
    With regard to frequency, how many buses do you think should be operating on the 120 between Dublin and Edenderry?

Surely every 15 minutes in the morning peak extending out to hourly all day (half hourly from Clane inwards) isn't exactly unreasonable for that corridor?

Or did you even look at the timetables before making that comment?

120/121: http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1425902267-120.pdf

123: http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1425902310-123.pdf

No I did not look at this specific case. I was posting about the bus service in general in rural Ireland and how it encorages car ownership. It is even more stark than that it make people buy second cars and encorages car ownership amoung young aduls
    Augeo wrote: »
    You need to quantify the total cost of ownership.
    Depreciation, tax, insurance, maintenance & fuel. You are looking at just fuel.
    LUNACY

The cost of car ownership is often exaggarated. What one need to look at what is will it cost some one vis a v a bus. As car ownership is considered a necessity outside the cities of Ireland busses compete in cost with cars in two particular senario's.

The first is where one already owns a car and the decision is whether use public transport or the car. This is noticeable with the low level of activity on rail to dublin vis a v people that use the motorways even for what are often day trips. Most diesel cars will exceed 18km/L so fuel costs are about 7c/km even with inefficent cars fuel costs are usually not much with 10c/KM

Where a PT system is in place and it is cheaper for an individual to drive a car by themselves rather than use PT you have to question the viability of that system . It should only be in multi user applications that a car is cheaper to run.

What is really interesting is the high level of 2nd and 3rd car ownership in Irish households. It is considered a virtual necessity to own a car if you want to work. Two yeas ago my daughter did an interview for summer work in food plant. She was asked if she had access to a car as the work was shift work not only that it was enquired if she would have priority access to that car.

If you look at the cost of running a second car you really question PT costs. A 10 year old car is in the 4.5K bracket ( Toyota Yaris, dieselcorolla, Diesel Kia ria, Hynudai I30 diesel Kia seed). Othe cars would be cheaper but percieved not as reliable. Running costs are virtually the same as on smaller petrol models cheap tax and insurance make up the difference in fuel costs.

Take a yaris that costs 4.5K at the end of 5 years it will have a residual value of 800-1K. Car tax is 199 euro, for an individual in there thirties insurance will be about 500 euro a set of tyres every second year200 euro NCT 50, maintenance 2-400 euro ( and I am being harsh at that).

That is about 1850 euro. In a case of some one with a round commute of 100km/day over a year that would be about 23000Km/year. the yaris will do over 45mpg or 16km/L so total fuel is 1437 L or about 1950 in fuel costs.

So total cost /year is 3800 euro to run a second car. This is not taking the flexability the second car offers and allows the individual to travel to and from work and lose no time waiting for a bus or having to get to and from bus pick up points.

Sorry about the delay posting I was busy the last few days.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement