Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree is the magic number . . .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

An File wrote: »
    Probably a legacy of speaking Irish. There's no "th" sound in that language

It's this. If you're pronouncing it "properly" you're a traitor.

endacl wrote: »
    Now try 'rise up lights' in your own accent.

What does it sound like?

A South African saying razor blades?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

We should all use Received Pronunciation.
    Even the mundane would sound dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

An File wrote: »
    Probably a legacy of speaking Irish. There's no "th" sound in that language, so it'll probably take another couple of generations for it to disappear fully.

I remember when listening to a radio mass the priest reading from TESSALONIANS TREE .. thought it was charming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

jojofizzio wrote: »
    And what about their pronunciation of "Thames" and "Thailand "....and they say we don't pronounce our "th"s......

Not sure what you mean there^

For sure, some Irish people have issues with these words, to the degree that they insert the 'th' sound when its meant to be silent. This just goes to show that they can say the th sound, unfortunately not always in the correct words!

But as I say, it's just some people.

• Advertisement

How bout them Chinese saying flied lice? And what's the craic with those Africans that can't make a J sound?

It's almost like different countries pronounce things differently or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I always got a certain amount of slagging off growing up for "speaking posh" - and people with strong regional accents still don't understand me very well (but it's okay, I don't understand them either, so conversations tend to be slow and punctuated with desperate smiles). West of Ireland father (with a pretty neutral accent, tbh) and English mother who never lost her quite strong accent (although it has softened a bit).

Oddly enough, it apparently left me with a full-on RTE neutral accent.

Anyone know if there's a connection? Is RTE-speak marginally British-influenced in accent (and is even the concept going to cause palpitations? If so, sorry about that.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭Allah snackbar

Some people need to get a life op , oh for the halcyon days of interesting threads and witty retorts

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Irish people can say 'th' I have heard a few saying 'thought' instead of 'taught'. Never been able to work out why they don't say 'theach' as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Some people need to get a life op , oh for the halcyon days of interesting threads and witty retorts

Agreed! You should start one!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭Allah snackbar

looksee wrote: »
    Agreed! You should start one!

I intend to and it's going to be epic , watch this space

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

LordSutch wrote: »

For sure, some Irish people have issues with these words, to the degree that they insert the 'th' sound when its meant to be silent. This just goes to show that they can say the th sound, unfortunately not always in the correct words!

Is there a list of words in English that begin with "th" that aren't meant to be pronounced with a "th" sound?
    Genuine question by the way,not being smart..
    Very few Irish people or Americans (that I know at least) pronounce Thailand "Tie-land"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I taught this tread was going too be about the phone company Three.

jojofizzio wrote: »

Is there a list of words in English that begin with "th" that aren't meant to be pronounced with a "th" sound?
    Genuine question by the way,not being smart..
    Very few Irish people or Americans (that I know at least) pronounce Thailand "Tie-land"

Thailand is an interesting one for you to choose as its the Thai people themselves who drop the th sound, hence the silent th when correctly pronounced. RTE pronounce Thailand with a silent th.

Think Tie-land :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Am I the only one who pronounces both d's in Wednesday?

me too! and both r's in February!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

snowflaker wrote: »
    me too! and both r's in February!

Snap!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Am I the only one who pronounces both d's in Wednesday?

Even the silent one?

You probably pronounce the H in herbs as well. :)

It's all just accents and dialects and mocking it is a bit infantile really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I prefer 'three' myself, but for strange reason some Irish people can't say three, why is that?

Is it a class thing? or . . .

Curious.
    I 'wooden' worry about it too much.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Even the silent one?

You probably pronounce the H in herbs as well. :)

It's all just accents and dialects and mocking it is a bit infantile really.

Yes, I do pronounce the h in herbs and in Herbert. I don't think I have ever heard anyone else pronounce herbs with a silent h.

It is one of the many differences American English has from British forms of English. The h is not pronounced by Americans. It is pronounced by English (and other British) people. This page http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/herb?q=herb , demonstrates it.May 15, 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭glenq

Turty tree and a turd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When they were still a new act in the charts one Irish DJ spoke of Thompson Twins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Don't forget 'Pergeot'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

"Tin Pince" is Kiwi for "Ten Pence". "Fush and Chups", well try it out yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Donal55 wrote: »
    Don't forget 'Pergeot'.

Purrrjow is how I say it, Pewjoe is the other way. Who is right? Ask a Frenchman I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

ziggy wrote: »
    That is absolute horsesh*t!!

Kree?? F*ck off! :pac:

Achawayanbileyerheedyabampot

I'm originally from Ballyfermot and am guilty of this. Make of that what you will. My American girlfriend loves it, always gets me to say "turty tree and a turd" for the laugh. :pac:

glenq wrote: »
    Turty tree and a turd

I remember once a few years who when Tom Lyons (Newstalk business correspondent) of the time interviewed Kathleen Lynch of the Labour party.
    The trees & turds were really flying dat day :-)

Both parties fully embrace the silent h.
    Was fascinating to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Most southern Irish people do this including those who think they don't.

I bet a recording of the op woukd show him . doing it.

• Advertisement

Most southern Irish people do this including those who think they don't.

I bet a recording of the op woukd show him . doing it.

This business of "most" Irish people is a red herring ....

Most Irish people can pronounce their th's, while quite obviously some can't.

Advertisement