Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree is the magic number . . .

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

LordSutch wrote: »
    I prefer 'three' myself, but for strange reason some Irish people can't say three, why is that?

Is it a class thing? or . . .

Curious.

Move to England mate and then you'll see butchering of English.

My flatmate says "somefing, fhree and nuffing".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

steddyeddy wrote: »

"Drawing" - "Draw-r-ing"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I prefer 'three' myself, but for strange reason some Irish people can't say three, why is that?

Is it a class thing? or . . .

Curious.

Oh don't get me started on the appalling standard of grammar & pronunciation in parts of England, but maybe that's for another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

This business of "most" Irish people is a red herring ....

Most Irish people can pronounce their th's, while quite obviously some can't.

No. Most can't. It's slightly more pronounced in working class areas but it's universal in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

No. Most can't. It's slightly more pronounced in working class areas but it's universal in Dublin.

Wrong.

Most people can, but some can't, maybe as you say 'in working class areas"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Wrong.

Most people can, but some can't, maybe as you say 'in working class areas"?

I'm wondering if you can hear your own accent? This is very noticeable if you come home from abroad. The Dublin 4 accent is no different. No th

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Dialect is an interesting subject, accents change noticeable every 25 mile or so.

http://www.davidcrystal.com/?id=3277

My husband grew up in north Wales and has a mixture of Welsh with undertones of scouse to my ear anyway, however to a true scouse he sounds totally Welsh, so our perception of someone's accent is based on our own accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Am I meant to feel intellectually inferior because I say 'Tirty tree'? I can say Thirty three if I'm arsed but ever since Steps were on the scene, I've had a hatred of H.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Am I meant to feel intellectually inferior because I say 'Tirty tree'? I can say Thirty three if I'm arsed but ever since Steps were on the scene, I've had a hatred of H.

You wont be judge because you can pronounce it correctly but choose not to a subtle but important point, I think that may be the OP point!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

mariaalice wrote: »
    Dialect is an interesting subject, accents change noticeable every 25 mile or so.

http://www.davidcrystal.com/?id=3277

My husband grew up in north Wales and has a mixture of Welsh with undertones of scouse to my ear anyway, however to a true scouse he sounds totally Welsh, so our perception of someone's accent is based on our own accent.

The loss of local dialects and accent is now a real issue in the age of mass communications. "Estuary English" has cut a swath through the Home Counties area just as Dublin's southside young (well under about 40) now speak "Dart/Dort" thanks to AA Roadwatch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Thailand is an interesting one for you to choose as its the Thai people themselves who drop the th sound, hence the silent th when correctly pronounced. RTE pronounce Thailand with a silent th.

Think Tie-land :-)

This is so beautifully anglocentric :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Thailand is an interesting one for you to choose as its the Thai people themselves who drop the th sound, hence the silent th when correctly pronounced. RTE pronounce Thailand with a silent th.

Think Tie-land :-)

Wouldn't a silent 'th' not make it eye-land?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭glaswegian

degsie wrote: »
    Some Scottish people pronounce 'j' as 'joy' and 'three' as 'kree', so yea a regional thing.
    never heard any of those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

glaswegian wrote: »
    never heard any of those two.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/1990871/scottish-pronunciation-of-the-letter-j

The 'kree' is much less common, a guy I worked with used to say it, it is with a more 'guttural' k. Maybe he had a speech impediment :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Come to Wiltshire, ["Wiltshur"], if thee wants to 'ear summat diffunt from they foreigners in London.
    Not very accurate as most of the old generation are gone and the local dialect is gradually dissipating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

degsie wrote: »
    Wouldn't a silent 'th' not make it eye-land?

Indeed...which is how many Brits pronounce the name of this country :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Americans pronounce Heneghan Hennigan and Noel and Liam pronounce Gallagher with g but I suppose they're Noel and Liam so they can do whatever they want.

Oh don't get me started on the appalling standard of grammar & pronunciation in parts of England, but maybe that's for another thread.
    sarf effix, now there's a place the English language has died!

Advertisement