Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree is the magic number . . .

Options
  • 23-04-2017 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

I prefer 'three' myself, but for strange reason some Irish people can't say three, why is that?

Is it a class thing? or . . .

Curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Just pure laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

And some English people can only seem to pronounce it as "free".
    Don't get me started on their abuse of Irish surnames.

LordSutch wrote: »
    I prefer 'three' myself, but for strange reason some Irish people can't say three, why is that?

Curious.
    I'm not being deliberately condescending, so sorry if it comes across that way, but words are pronounced differently in different accents. I think they can physically say the word 'three', but in some accents it's pronounced 'tree', and has been for centuries.

I've never been in a situation whether I was confused as to whether a person was referring to a tree, or the number three, because of the context in how they used the word. Similarly, I've never been confused about the word dare or there, even if the person using the word pronounced it the same.

A lot of people, and I'm guilty of this myself to an extent, adapt their accent and de-regionalize it, which I think is a great shame. I hope I never live in an Ireland where we all sound like RTE Continuity announcers.
    Just pure laziness.
    It's not laziness. It's no more lazy to drop the 'h' in 'three' than to drop the 'h' in hotel, or when British people drop the hard 'r' in 'car'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Some Scottish people pronounce 'j' as 'joy' and 'three' as 'kree', so yea a regional thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Didn't some Australian TV presenter make an issue out of this very issue before?
    People in gloss flamin' 'ouses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Probably a legacy of speaking Irish. There's no "th" sound in that language, so it'll probably take another couple of generations for it to disappear fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Curious.

Why do Brits say 'sikth' instead of sixth?

If you say 'space ghettos' in an American voice it sounds like you're saying Spice Girls in a Scottish accent. Phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

An File wrote: »
    Probably a legacy of speaking Irish. There's no "th" sound in that language, so it'll probably take another couple of generations for it to disappear fully.

You'll actually hear some D4 types reporting on TV pronounce Taoiseach as Th-aoiseach.

You'll actually hear some D4 types reporting on TV pronounce Taoiseach as Th-aoiseach.

Do you ever hear them saying 'charidee' instead of 'charity'? Shudder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Omackeral wrote: »
    If you say 'space ghettos' in an American it sounds like you're saying Spice Girls in a Scottish accent. Phenomenal.
    That has actually made my day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Am I the only one who pronounces both d's in Wednesday?

I'm imagining you in your gaff saying this out loud and someone in the next room going ''Sorry, what was that Lexie?'' and you just being all embarrassed and saying ''Nothing, never mind.''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'm imagining you in your gaff saying this out loud and someone in the next room going ''Sorry, what was that Lexie?'' and you just being all embarrassed and saying ''Nothing, never mind.''

Feck That! I've an extra awesome gland where my shame gland should be. I'll be saying it to everyone. Multiple times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Re Taoiseach; Surely there is it bit of a th sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

This has always been my assumption.

Relatedly but distinctly, most Irish can't pronounce the 'th' in 'that'.

People pronounce it 'tat' or 'dat', mostly depending on where on the island they grew up.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Say "beer can". Now you're a Jamaican saying bacon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Feck That! I've an extra awesome gland where my shame gland should be. I'll be saying it to everyone. Multiple times.
    You can switch it up with this one: saying 'beer can' in a posh English accent sounds like 'bacon' with a Jamaican accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Academic wrote: »

This has always been my assumption.

Relatedly but distinctly, most Irish can't pronounce the 'th' in 'that'.

People pronounce it 'tat' or 'dat', mostly depending on where on the island they grew up.

Some (not most) Irish people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭Allah snackbar

It's a funny thing having an accent , I have a West of Ireland accent because I'm from a rural area in the West and pronounce words differently to other people born in different places to me , but when I travel to places like Dublin they sound completely different to me , I can't understand it and thank you op for highlighting it , without your pointless thread about it I'd have remained ignorant of the differences in the pronunciation of our language

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

Re Taoiseach; Surely there is it bit of a th sound?

In Irish there are two t sounds, broad or slender, depending on the vowels that come before and/or after the t. It's the same for many other consonants as well but t is one of the consonants with the most noticeable difference between the broad and slender sound.

People who pronounce it "thaoiseach" with a th are trying to make the broad t sound but aren't doing it right. My guess is they either think they are pronouncing it properly, hence why you hear it so much on RTE, or they try but are actually incapable of pronouncing it properly due to lack of exposure to the Irish language being spoken by native speakers.

It's like how, no matter how fluent you become in another language that's not native to you, you will always sound like a foreigner to native speakers because it's difficult to pronounce certain phonemes exactly right unless you have grown up hearing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

If you are from Dublin, it's a class thing. The th-ers would have certain notions about themselves and mention how 'one should speak proper'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Dare must be at least turty posts about dis already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Curious.
    What's the Irish word for 'three'?

Irish accents are suited to the Irish language

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

degsie wrote: »
    Some Scottish people pronounce 'j' as 'joy' and 'three' as 'kree', so yea a regional thing.

JAFFA KREE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

nullzero wrote: »
    And some English people can only seem to pronounce it as "free".
    Don't get me started on their abuse of Irish surnames.

And what about their pronunciation of "Thames" and "Thailand "....and they say we don't pronounce our "th"s......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

degsie wrote: »
    Dare must be at least turty posts about dis already.

Dats wha I taught two.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Pac1Man wrote: »
    If you are from Dublin, it's a class thing. The th-ers would have certain notions about themselves and mention how 'one should speak proper'.

And the rest are painful to listen to along with the chip on the shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Now try 'rise up lights' in your own accent.

What does it sound like?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

endacl wrote: »
    Now try 'rise up lights' in your own accent.

What does it sound like?

Sounds very english :D

What about the old Whale Oil Beef Hooked

Advertisement