Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know where you were on 7th December 2000?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

No idea but if I had to guess I would think I was at home trawling through my mountain of Homework and studying for my Xmas exams - I would have been in 2nd Year of Secondary School then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I was at college in Portrush, I think a Thursday's nights were spent in the Anchor pub in Portstewart. So I would be 99% sure I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

odyssey06 wrote: »

Thanks and my sincere apologies. I was not yet in Ireland and had not opened the thread on him as had not heard the name...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thanks and my sincere apologies. I was not yet in Ireland and had not opened the thread on him as had not heard the name...

No harm, no foul. The thread is only peripherally related to that tragic incident.
    You don't have to have been in Dublin (or Ireland) that night.

I was more curious to see how many people would be able to account for their wherebouts on a distant date in the past. And in fact, some of the comments on the thread have helped me to establish some of my movements on that night.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

No harm, no foul. The thread is only peripherally related to that tragic incident.
    You don't have to have been in Dublin (or Ireland) that night.

I was more curious to see how many people would be able to account for their wherebouts on a distant date in the past. And in fact, some of the comments on the thread have helped me to establish some of my movements on that night.

OK! I was living on a small island trying to sort out a major move. That is the month,,

NOW if you ask me what I was doing the day President Kennedy was assassinated.... I had just got home to my mother's, for the weekend from University, and was on the floor in front of the RV when the news came on. Her immediate reaction was, "There will be a war.."

Violets always hold that memory now

Thankfully there was no war; having been born in one World War and lived through another...

November 22nd 1963

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Graces7 wrote: »
    OK! I was living on a small island trying to sort out a major move. That is the month,,

NOW if you ask me what I was doing the day President Kennedy was assassinated.... I had just got home to my mother's, for the weekend from University, and was on the floor in front of the RV when the news came on. Her immediate reaction was, "There will be a war.."

Violets always hold that memory now

Thankfully there was no war; having been born in one World War and lived through another...

November 22nd 1963

Which island was it? How'd ya find living there?

Which island was it? How'd ya find living there?

Off the top end of Scotland . next stop north pole,, Am hooked on islands and been trying to find one here to retreat to. I was all but self sufficient and miss that too... Maybe soon........ weather was.. interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

More than likely in Our Ladys Hospital with my then 6 month old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

A lot of people seem to fix their memory by reference to the taxi strike, as if it defined one night.

It went on for almost 3 weeks. There is an obvious risk, at this remove, for elements of false memory, people recall the strike, the disappearance, knew they were out around that time...and then settle on being out that very night. Not that this voids all effort, but people have to be careful.

I don't see the problem with this in regards to people's memories. If something defines that era for them then it doesn't really matter if it was that exact night or not. From a social history perspective, it's still interesting. It matters for the Trevor Deely case but outside of that, people's recollections don't really need to be too accurate.

My own first post on this thread has details that I think are true but I'm not sure if they are. Nevertheless, it was an interesting exercise for me to look back on that point in my life and what was going on for me generally at that time. I'd love to go back and shake myself and tell myself that I am well able for the engineering degree that I ultimately demurred from applying for in favour of something that was a less perfect fit for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

seamus wrote: »
    Tbh, excluding the sporting events and significant family events, the rest still blow me away. I've been to ~15 Xmas parties (and hundreds of work events) since then, I couldn't tell you the date any of them occurred and can probably only tell you where 5 or 6 of them took place. Not because I was drunk but because my brain just doesn't retain that information.
    Same with shopping trips, though perhaps if someone had a tradition of shopping on that date in particular it might make sense.
    Even in terms of the TD case, I don't remember giving it any specific thought, certainly not enough that I can recount 17 years later where I was.

It's the 33% figure that amazes me tbh. I can understand some people remembering, but a whole third is incredible.
    for those of us of a certain age who lived in dublin at the time the trevor deely case has a gret resonance.

i was 24 years old, working, had a few pound in my pocket and was constantly out drinking in dublin with my mates.
    trevor deely was one of us, he was just like us, a young fella out on the town and he vanished.
    by the new year every lamppost in dublin city center had a picture of him on it and i know that my mates and i all went to the trouble of really recalling exactly what we did that night, where we were, could we have seen anything.
    usually we didn't give a **** about anything but ourselves and our little world, but this shook us.

we would often discuss it in the years afterwards and those who were in dublin that night can all recall what they were doing,as it happens i was down the country that night.

• Advertisement

I would either have been studying or at work up to 11pm, maybe I was out actually as it was a Thursday.

Impossible to say really, I'm only relying on what Id normally have been doing on thursday's back then.

This is a neat idea for a thread. I'm not sure what exactly I was doing but I know my whereabouts. I was 14 so I was away at school. The next day would have been my twin sisters' birthdays so I guess I'd have gone gift shopping on Friday evening in Dublin before getting the bus home.

I have some dairies from back then but if I entered anything in that day, I was probably just writing truly awful song lyrics about a girl I was in love with, or moaning about my geography homework.

That December I smoked my first cigarette. I remember it was so strong I had to sit on the riverbank where I was smoking with another boy, hidden from the road beside our school. I had to stop smoking it half way through. It must also have been that month when my Dad caught me smoking his pipe. How gauche!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Most likely playing Smackdown 2 'Know Your Role' on PS1 which was released here on the 1st December 2000.

I spent that Autumn saving up for it. Played it for hours on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I would probably have been doing homework. It was junior cert year.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Most people who'd have being at school were probably looking for to having the next day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I was more curious to see how many people would be able to account for their wherebouts on a distant date in the past.

Several times over the last year or so I've thought of posting a similar question, always as a reaction to some detective drama where they hoik some unfortunate suspect into the interview room and ask him or her what they were doing on the nth of the month last year.

I've no idea what I was doing, other than (probably) at work, and (probably) thinking about how to celebrate my second daughter's first Christmas. I wasn't in Ireland then, so none of the potential memory triggers apply to me.

Maybe it'd be worth running a second poll with a different, random date earlier in the year to see if as many people know what they were up to then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭C Montgomery Gurns II

RayM wrote: »
    I was 18, probably at home watching TV. I can't remember what I was watching, but I've attached a pdf of everything that was on that night.

Come to think of it we had just got Sky in (it had went down from something like 500 quid to free installation around that stage) so with our new found amount of channels I would not have been near most of those channels :pac: Interesting to see The Sopranos in its first TV run- I'm fairly sure I properly caught it a few weeks after this when E4 did a late night binge showing of three or four in a row for a few nights.

Where are these old papers coming from? It is bizarrely nostalgic reading old TV listings.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Maybe it'd be worth running a second poll with a different, random date earlier in the year to see if as many people know what they were up to then.

That's a very good idea... I think let's let this one play out and then feel free to fire ahead and maybe pop a link on that thread back to this one. I suspect not nearly as many will be able to place their exact whereabouts on a random date in that year.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Don't remember what I was doing the Thursday. Probably at home as I would have had college the next day. Remember being at the Bohs Shels match the next night. B*stards had us on the terrace with no roof and myself and the da got absolutely drenched but it was worth it for Richie Foran's 1st minute goal. Think the taxis came back that night actually.

At home playing the playstation, dreaming of the game boy colour I'd be getting a few weeks later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

At home in carlow. School the next day.

At home in carlow. School the next day.

Did you have school on the 8th of December?

Did you have school on the 8th of December?
    we used to get the day off in primary school, but didn't that holiday lose its status by 2000?

we used to get the day off in primary school, but didn't that holiday lose its status by 2000?

I've never heard of a school being open on the 8th of December but I suppose some do now.
    I think it was in the early to mid 2000's the government started setting holidays/etc. They set the Easter/Christmas holidays now and you can't take a extra day(Schools have a few days to mess around with) to extend the holiday but you can for a religious reason so this is why a lot of schools still take the 6th of January.
    I could be wrong tough about schools being opened/closed on the 8th back then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have no difficultly knowing roughly where I was at any time over the years, as I keep a diary. It's very handy at times when a discussion revolves around when something happened or when we were somewhere or doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Was 15 at the time, was probably at home. It was a fairly low point in our family at that time as my father passed away at few months previously from cancer.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Studying for 5th year Christmas exams or training for my black belt grading in karate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I was 11. So I've no idea! Probably outside playing tip the can or something..

Advertisement