Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know where you were on 7th December 2000?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

I was in Leaving Cert. The only things I remember from that era were Foot & Mouth disease and the ASTI strike.

OMG, yes!

I was in college; but I was living with my grandparents that year and if I was out after 5pm they'd call the police. So I know I definitely have nothing to add.

Brilliant idea OP. Good on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I was 15 at the time and was most probably stuck on an Internet chatroom on a Thursday night.

Edit; 17 years on, my Thursday nights seem alarmingly similar....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Bredabe wrote: »
    At home in D9, trying to calm down cause the boss's son had spent all day passing comments about how "all my culchie relatives", would be in their portable chicken sheds headed into town the next day. Even when it was pointed out that as I was from Cabra and he from Celbridge he still didn't stop. Guess he didn't know where Cabra or Celbridge were.

The ignorant baxtard. Hope you have better workmates now. How did that job end up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

In the pub getting pissed all day having inherited big bucks a few days earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I had just started college that year and was living at home in Dublin. My uncle brought home a new Christmas tree that evening.

I definitely wasn't out drinking as I was only 17 when I was in first year of college and only looked about 14, so not a hope I'd have been served!! Once I could legally drink, Thursdays, being a big student night out, were usually spent in the pubs around Dublin 2, but not for me back in 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

A friend of mine was doing a promotion handing out balloons on Shop St in Galway for ESAT. The weather was brutal, so myself and some of my mates took 100 or so balloons from her so she could get rid of them and finish up early. We took them back to the apartment where we had a ceiling of balloons for a couple of weeks. I remember all this because it was my 21st birthday the following night.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I was probably working. I was 16 and my parents wouldn't let me work on 'school' nights (I was a waitress in a hotel) but I would've had the next day off and there would've been Christmas parties on so I was probably on. Either that or I was at home not doing a whole lot.

EDIT: I've a feeling I was working that night actually as there was a fire in the satellite kitchen beside the bar I worked in that night and the asshole manager on duty gave out to me for hitting the alarm when I discovered it coz everyone got evacuated out into the pissing rain and it was an exceptionally bad night :o

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was eight and I was looking forward to having the next day off school. I was also looking forward to visiting Santa and the lights going on and of course Santa coming!
    I have a great memory of the 7th of December 2001. I was travelling from Cork to see my aunt in Laois with my mother and brother. I was off school that day and we were heading up that afternoon. It was a Friday afternoon and traffic was busy mainly due to it being a Friday afternoon and it being pre-motorway days.
    As we drove up we heard on the radio the Bank of Ireland in Urlingford had being robbed and the bank was sealed off when we passed it.
    The traffic stopped a good bit outside Abbeyleix's. We were talking to my aunt on the phone back in the day when you could whilst driving. She was also stuck in the traffic at this stage we were at the 40MPH limit and she was at the 30MPH limit entering Abbeyleix's. We eventually heard the AIB had being robbed and the Gardai apprehended the robbers and they ran up a lane way beside the bank and a Garda was shot dead. We eventually passed the bank and I saw the getaway car(Nissan Almera(I think)) was still there.
    When we arrived in Portlaoise we went shopping and got a lot of sweats/biscuits for my aunt in Tesco.
    We went to her house and we heard on the news about the incident. I turned out eventually it was another Garda that shot the Garda. We watched and taped the Toy Show that night. I remember Atomic Kitten was on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

RayM wrote: »
    I was 18, probably at home watching TV. I can't remember what I was watching, but I've attached a pdf of everything that was on that night.

Ooh, Frasier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

greencap wrote: »
    Not a feckin chance.

Couldn't tell you last week.

I'm similar. Not a chance I could tell you where I was on December 7th 2016 nevermind 2000.

Ask me specifics of recently and I might recall two weeks ago going by weekly routines and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was in Urban Outfitters in Temple Bar, working for the building contractor until about 1am. I then told the architect that I was going to see if I could get a 'cab' home. He mentioned the taxi strike. I explained the difference between a hackney and a taxi. There used to be a hackney place on George's Street, I think it's now the launderette.

I think the shop opened the Friday, around 11am.

Six days later, i joined boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Victor wrote: »
    I was in Urban Outfitters in Temple Bar, working for the building contractor until about 1am. I then told the architect that I was going to see if I could get a 'cab' home. He mentioned the taxi strike. I explained the difference between a hackney and a taxi. There used to be a hackney place on George's Street, I think it's now the launderette.

I think the shop opened the Friday, around 11am.

Six days later, i joined boards.ie.

How did the hackney situation fare out?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

oneilla wrote: »
    How did the hackney situation fare out?

I believe there was a delay of 10-20 minutes, but I did get one. I don't have the receipt as I submitted it with my expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Murrisk wrote: »
    Are you my sister? You literally namechecked almost all of her first-year-in-college haunts! :eek:

*Looks down at penis*

No I'm not your sister

A lot of people seem to fix their memory by reference to the taxi strike, as if it defined one night.

It went on for almost 3 weeks. There is an obvious risk, at this remove, for elements of false memory, people recall the strike, the disappearance, knew they were out around that time...and then settle on being out that very night. Not that this voids all effort, but people have to be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

I was probably out with my then boyfriend (now husband).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

In my flat in Cork, when I was in UCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

I was 17 and up in Dublin for the Culchie Christmas Shopping with my mum and sister. I think it was the only year we came up on the "official" shopping day.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

I could tell you which country/city I was living in...but that's about it. No idea as to the specifics on any given night tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm pretty impressed that a third of people can say that "yes" they do remember what they were doing on a specific day in december almost 17 years ago.

There are probably about 20 specific dates in my entire lifetime where I can say that I remember where I was and what I was doing that day. There are 12,764 other days that all just mesh into an homogenous blob.

Do you all remember that day because of the TD case, or would you generally say you can remember what you were doing on a given date?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I was 15 in my Junior Cert year with Xmas exams on the way in school, so it's very safe to say I was playing Goldeneye on my Nintendo 64.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

It was the day before my first Christmas party in my new job (and I still work here, 17 years on). I took the day off and went in to Debenhams and bought a new suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Bredabe

The ignorant baxtard. Hope you have better workmates now. How did that job end up?
    This is why I remember it so clearly, I was going to hand in my notice anyway, and I was trying to figure out ir I would do it the next day or wait till the last min and hand it in on the following week.

So as not to give the %^&*(er that satisfaction of saying he chased me out.He was the boss's son and expected everyone to be as impressed with him as he was with himself.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I was with my flatmate at the time (still my oldest, closest friend) in our Apartment in Dublin watching a movie and having a Chinese Takeaway. We had been out the night before with a larger group of friends and had decided on a quiet night in that night.

The reason I remember it so well was that my boyfriend at the time was out for his office Christmas Party that night. He was on Leeson Street too among other locations and also walked home alone v late that night. He worked on Haddington Road at that time.

We talked about that night a lot in the weeks that followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

seamus wrote: »
    I'm pretty impressed that a third of people can say that "yes" they do remember what they were doing on a specific day in december almost 17 years ago.
    There are probably about 20 specific dates in my entire lifetime where I can say that I remember where I was and what I was doing that day. There are 12,764 other days that all just mesh into an homogenous blob.
    Do you all remember that day because of the TD case, or would you generally say you can remember what you were doing on a given date?

I think there's a few common reasons for people remembering:
    • It was the night of the TD case
    • A lot of christmas parties were so it wasn't just a typical night
    • Sporting events or concerts have registered with some people
    • Significant \ tragic family events have registered with some people
    • Work events have registered
    • It was the night before December 8th so a few shopping trips to Dublin were lined up

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Most likely home in my teeny little flat with my one year old baby boy and his aul fella. Only a feckin child myself but never would have been out much, certainly not Thursdays, cos I got myself knocked up so young that college was put off for a few years in lieu of a full time job. He'd be 18 this year. Jaysus - and me only 22 on my next birthday :P

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think there's a few common reasons for people remembering:
    • It was the night of the TD case
    • A lot of christmas parties were so it wasn't just a typical night
    • Sporting events or concerts have registered with some people
    • Significant \ tragic family events have registered with some people
    • Work events have registered
    • It was the night before December 8th so a few shopping trips to Dublin were lined up
    Tbh, excluding the sporting events and significant family events, the rest still blow me away. I've been to ~15 Xmas parties (and hundreds of work events) since then, I couldn't tell you the date any of them occurred and can probably only tell you where 5 or 6 of them took place. Not because I was drunk but because my brain just doesn't retain that information.
    Same with shopping trips, though perhaps if someone had a tradition of shopping on that date in particular it might make sense.
    Even in terms of the TD case, I don't remember giving it any specific thought, certainly not enough that I can recount 17 years later where I was.

It's the 33% figure that amazes me tbh. I can understand some people remembering, but a whole third is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Forgive if this is ... but why that date in particular? What happened of world value?

I was still on the island then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Graces7 wrote: »
    Forgive if this is ... but why that date in particular? What happened of world value? I was still on the island then.

See the first post on this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057729470

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement