Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passive Agressive use of "Bud" and "Pal"

Options
  • 19-04-2017 11:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭

Anyone else have an issue with this?

Have to say whenever I hear people use the terms "Bud" and "Pal" it's in a passive aggressive manner and does my head in. But then that type of behaviour in general drives me mad.

I've lately seen it sneaking into Boards as well and I simply ignore any post that has either of those words in. It's generally someone who's very bitter or angry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

pilly wrote: »

Have to say whenever I hear people use the terms "Bud" and "Pal" it's in a passive aggressive manner and does my head in. But then that type of behaviour in general drives me mad.

I've lately seen it sneaking into Boards as well and I simply ignore any post that has either of those words in. It's generally someone who's very bitter or angry.

I do it with 'mate'.

Can't help it. I'm just so angry when I'm posting and its so cathartic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭C Montgomery Gurns II

Alright steady on pal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm not your bud, pal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭Allah snackbar

Unlike you I see , pal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

One ar5ehole in work calls me Pal even though we don't like each other. He uses it as a type of insult.

I stopped him in his tracks a few weeks ago and told him 'I'm not your fcuking pal'. He hasn't spoken to me since. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

3a5f6c33244354d27fadf9714ffe0005.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Howya doin' ole buddy ole pal???????

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It depends on the tone it's used, context. People I'd meet call me bud, pal, horse all the time, but a passive aggressive attitude drives me spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The Dublin bloke from the Stop Search Seize show on Sky One was at it with people arriving into Dublin Airport:

"Don't call me buddy pal"

BattleCorp wrote: »
    One ar5ehole in work calls me Pal even though we don't like each other. He uses it as a type of insult.

I stopped him in his tracks a few weeks ago and told him 'I'm not your fcuking pal'. He hasn't spoken to me since. Happy days.

In other news, man rounds on work colleague for no reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

HV4hToi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

:D
    Glenster wrote: »
    In other news, man rounds on work colleague for no reason.

There's more to that story, pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Surely the issue is with the passive-aggression rather than the noun of choice.

Do you have trouble understanding what I mean, informal internet acquaintance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Buddy, Pal, Dublin words no ? mate be English/London ? Bohy be Cork , There just words & I have no problem with them being used, righ bud.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Glenster wrote: »
    I do it with 'mate'.

Can't help it. I'm just so angry when I'm posting and its so cathartic.

Mate is another version yeah.

Unlike you I see , pal

True, I'm not angry at all. Having a great day actually. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

BattleCorp wrote: »

Are you 8 and is "work" actually 2nd class maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

I have seen it recently too, reminds me of Ocean's Eleven scene:

Sorry about that buddy.
    Who are you calling buddy, Pal?
    Who are you calling pal, friend?
    Who are you calling friend, Jackass?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I'm not your pal, mate

Just another thought, women don't have an equivalent. I'm a woman by the way.

• Advertisement

Everything a woman says?

"Will you be home for dinner?" could have 60 layers of meaning.

They don't need to put mate on the end of what they say, its always implied.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Listen here, bucko

That's only semi aggressive, so it's grand.

Not strictly true, love.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Hun, pet, chicken, love.

Argh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Bitch?

Not you obviously, I mean that's what I've often heard women use as either a term of endearment, or indeed in a passive aggressive context.

Hun, pet, chicken, love.

Argh!!!

Yeah I suppose they can be used in a passive aggressive way as well when I think about it.

To me though pal and bud are never used affectionately. Mate can be.

Hun, pet, chicken, love.

Argh!!!

F7SK1N3FISZNFPG.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yeah I suppose they can be used in a passive aggressive way as well when I think about it.

To me though pal and bud are never used affectionately. Mate can be.

Story pal :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

And if your ever in Morocco or Turkey the folks in the markets be all calling you friend...

• Advertisement

To me though pal and bud are never used affectionately.

Not true at all.

Advertisement