Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail- Annual Ticket Confiscated

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    Gotta agree. I've been thinking about this and it strikes me that the OP may be lying, chancing their arm and seeing how well the argument stacks up here before trying it on appeal, ie if we laughed it out of the room they'd know theres no hope.

So I'd advise this:
    • If you really did miss the stop just once, and have not been playing games with the SHZ, pay your fine for that one time (it's your responsibility to stay awake and get off at the right stop) and fight the other ones in court, there is no guilty until proven innocent, they have to affirmatively prove you screwed the system, if they've no proof of that, they can't force you to pay and no judge will make you.

I personally think that is good advice. If it was a genuine mistake the OP won't have anything to fear. Guilt normally has to be proven in a court. Especially since her friends where the car is parked daily can give evidence to back up the story it will be enough.
    XPS_Zero wrote: »
    • If you have been playing games with the SHZ, take your medicine and don't challenge it because they WILL find proof somehow, they'll search hours of CCTV if they have to but they'll get you and you'll look really bad in court and might get a massive hiked up fine.

They don't have to search hours of CCTV. They only have to check the CCTV of people coming off the Pearse 17:31h train at Newbridge on a few different days. If they don't see the OP there they probably won't even let it go to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Seve OB wrote: »
    exaisle wrote: »
    Why bother? You already said that "We don't tag on as our tickets are paid in full via our jobs" so it's no skin off your nose if you got the correct annual ticket to allow you to travel all the way to Newbridge.

Says ticket is paid through their jobs. It doesn't say their jobs pay for the tickets. And even if they did, they are still liable for BIK

No...tickets are paid in full via their jobs is exactly what OP said
    In circumstances where the employer incurs the expense of the tickets, they, the employer saves the 10.75% employers' prsi and there's no BIK on the employee.. Thats my understanding of the OP's situation..

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

It's a long shot but if you have a smart phone it might be possible to retrieve you location data and prove your route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Feckofff wrote: »
    It's a long shot but if you have a smart phone it might be possible to retrieve you location data and prove your route.

That'll only work if OP is telling the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

Could you imagine if all 12 members for a jury in a trial were picked from this forum :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

thomasj wrote: »
    Could you imagine if all 12 members for a jury in a trial were picked from this forum :eek:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050083/

I want to be Henry Fonda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

thomasj wrote: »

OP could get a death sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Is it clear if OP will get the annual passes back by just paying the €116 part or that plus the mammoth alleged arrears too?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

OP is gone....... Must have missed her stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Now if their cars were parked in Newbridge, then IR would have the smoking gun evidence it needs to proceed.
    But are they that stringent?
    Would they bother?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Will you come out of it.

The majority of drug addicts have them.

I have yet to come across one without.

If they have cleaned up and work they would no longer be eligible depending on wage.
    Well lucky for you you never met a smoker...

Hey Annie.... care to give us an update?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If, and big IF the op pulled a fast one, it's no wonder fares are so high for those who don't do this sort of thing.

And if the employer is paying for the fare card, what is the problem anyway? Although if OP is not being truthful, it could be a TaxSaver card. Cheaper to and from Naas..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Seve OB wrote: »
    Hey Annie.... care to give us an update?

The story with no outcome. Hate that. I wanted to know what happened next too.

coffeepls wrote: »
    The story with no outcome. Hate that. I wanted to know what happened next too.

OP has vanished. Im pretty convinced that if she was telling the truth she would have been back on to give us an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Being accused of lying tends to put people off coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

TheChizler wrote: »

It's to be expected when you post on forums like this otherwise it wouldn't work.. It would be like " I got my ticket confiscated what should i do?"
    "You should appeal since you posted here and therefore telling the truth "
    " Thank you "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Victor wrote: »
    But if it is just a letter to the individual involved, what publication is there?

The OP might have an inquisitive butler who opened and read the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

TheChizler wrote: »

Personally, I wasn't accusing them of lying.

I generally, like everyone else, assume someone is telling me the truth when they say something, unless/until I have some specific reason to think otherwise. I considered everything and thought ok maybe it's 5050

If you are telling the truth, the cctv and tag off records should back you up, and you should simply pay the fine and appeal the other fines without fear. When I made what I'm told is a very very rare successful appeal to Luas who thought (incorrectly) that I was fare evading, I held my ground in saying I'd go to court because I knew full well the CCTV and my card and top up history would back up everything I was saying, I also pondered if maybe they can see more LEAP data than we can.

I sent them screenshots of the Leap card history, offered to mail them the actual card if they were thinking maybe I played with the images, then said go to xyz times on CCTV at Sandyford and you will see everything I did. I had zero fear of going to court because I knew I was in the right, no intent to commit a crime (or recklessness) = acquittal.

Having worked in security, I know Irish people are chancers by nature, we almost like the shyster, wink and nod, it may be why we elect so many of them to political power then complain about it later. So it would not surprise me if someone claimed that their overstay on the train was a once-off mistake, bad luck like that can happen. But the other was equally possible which is why I gave to bits of advice.

Advertisement