Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you celebrate your birthday ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,923 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Mines 2 after Xmas and everyone's either hungover or family tied to go out. Just a normal day to me now, felt when I was a teen I should be celebrating it. I don't share my Bday on facebook as I don't want strangers wishing me happy bday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Once you're in double figures, it's time to let go.

Birthdays are for kids and saddos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I usually use it as an excuse to take the day off work and catch up with family and friends. Wouldn't be throwing any major parties or anything, just something low key like a few drinks down the local. Life is short, you don't know how many more birthdays you're going to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I use my birthday as a reason to guilt a few reluctant friends out for the night, and score a few free birthday shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I usually take a day off work, go for a hot towel shave / haircut then have a nice lunch somewhere with a beer. Myself and my missus will mark each other's birthdays - usually a meal out or night away.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Don't celebrate mine either.....not a fan of it at all

Don't understand the fuss some people place on their bdays!
    Fair enough if your 30/40/50 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Yes it's a national holiday tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Zebra3 wrote: »

Birthdays are for kids and saddos.

and yet you have one every single year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I celebrate by adding extra milk to chocolate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I buy myself a swiss roll and a few cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Boards has shat itself again. I blame the chocolate milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I've a big one coming up later this year (oo-er vicar!). Four of my friends also celebrated big ones with parties in local pubs. There were balloons, cakes, candles and singing.

One friend who is Scandinavian hosted his own party and paid for all the drinks himself, as that is the tradition where he comes from!

It's on a Monday this year and I'm going to treat myself to a day off work. I've dropped hints to the above mentioned friends that I want no party when mine rolls around. They're all extroverted and would like another party, but I prefer a nice meal out and a few drinks afterwards, singing optional but the Happy Birthday song is banned. :)

My family don't celebrate adult birthdays. I think my brother and his wife celebrate each other's but I don't celebrate his or those of my parents, parents don't celebrate each others or their children's, not since 21. My brother had a big 21st birthday party all right which I went to and didn't enjoy, swore blind not to have one myself, and it passed without incident.

Some people have said to me that it's weird and sad that we don't, but it's a combination of family culture and introversion with me. I have lots of fun all year round, so it has little impact overall on my quality of life.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Yes, it's my special day. My mam is born near Christmas so she always likes to differentiate it, so I picked it up.

My best friend's birthday is the day before so we always do something together, just her and me, but not on either of the days. We spend the actual days with family or partners.

I have two good work friends and we take a half day for our birthdays and go out for lunch and drinks.

I was born on April 5 so my parents got a whole year tax relief so I can still guilt trip my dad into the fact I made him money. Incidentally my cousin was actually born in the 6th but the registrar back dated it for that reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I celebrate everything.

Everything.

I LOVE celebrating things.

I don't have parties for non "big" birthdays. Had a BBQ in my back garden for my 21st and a party in my house/garden for my 30th. I will go out for dinner or something though. Might take the day off work if I'm not on holidays that week.

Big deals were always made out of birthdays when I was a kid - big deals made of everything - so I didn't lick it off a stone.

Other people's birthdays are more exciting to me though, I love putting effort into things for people I love and I would go the extra mile when I can.

I get excited wrapping presents, and writing cards. There is always cake on birthdays.

Even if it's not your birthday you might get a pressie off me if I see something in the shop that reminds me of you.

I get excited about a lot of things!

Love an excuse to spoil people and to generally just be cheerful. Sure isn't life too short to take every opportunity to celebrate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I have the big 4-0 this week. I have nothing organised and have no interest in doing anything bar going for a low key meal. Other people in the family seem to think I'm not being fair not having a party...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

I'd never have a party or a get together or anything like that, but I do spoil myself a little. I always book the day off work, I might go see a film, have a meal I love etc. So nothing big or public, but a little day of doing things I like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

No. It's just like any other day. I've never had a party of any kind - seems like my idea of hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Not since my mid-20s.
    Its all ****e after that if one is honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Yes, our kids are young enough that their birthdays are a big deal for them, and even ours are a big deal for them. Home-made cards, presents, everything's a surprise, all of that.

For the kids it's a big party with friends. For the parents, we just have a nice breakfast, and then it's just a normal day really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

This post has been deleted.

Ya i rarely tell anyone at work its my birthday.
    A few years back some of my friends at work organised a big cake and cards and everyone gathered to say happy birthday. It was ****ing horrible. Tasty cake tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Had mine last week. I gave the party a miss! Those who went told me it was great....I think they were lying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Absolutely. We never had birthday parties as children but, boy, I enjoy them now. I'm 73 and celebrate anything I possibly can. Birthdays are great for bringing family together. Nothing fancy but a happy gathering in a world where there can be so many occasions where people only in sadness.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I was 40 a few week ago and did nothing, didn't even acknowledge it.

Any adult over the age of, say, 16 who celebrates their birthday is a narcissist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I used to do something every year, but the closer I creep to 30 the less I want to mark the day. I do like to make a fuss of friends on their birthdays though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I never celebrate it. It is just another day for me and I don't expect presents, but do like to get a call from my 2 boys and a hug from the missus.

My last birthday was the only one in my 55 years that one of my cards was signed 'Love Mum' only, as I lost my Dad at Christmas. That was hard and I think I'll feel even less about it in future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

I celebrate it lightly. No elaborate nights out. The last time I did that was for my 21st and I'm early 30s now. I get gifts from my fella, siblings and parents. Friends give me cute, inexpensive gifts.

I have a friend in his mid-30s now who makes a big fuss of his birthday every year. :D Weekends trips away, that kind of thing. A lot of his friends are settling down now so I can see those days coming to an end in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Had a party for my 21st and that was it.

Never celebrate it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Erm surprised at most of the answers here, I thought ye were all party animals & any excuse would do...

Advertisement