Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are chips so popular?

Options
13»

Comments

Love chips. And mashed spuds. And roast spuds. 3 of the nicest foods.

tasty and all as non-wholegrain pasta can be, it doesn't have that satiating quality spuds have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

satguy wrote: »
    Some people eat Quinoa ,,, the rest of us like chips,,, they go great with a batter sausage, load of salt and vinegar.

You take out the small white chip bag, this just leaves the big brown bag, then you give it a good shake, a really good shake.

= Heaven

Of course they've gotta be proper Irish chips, form an Italian Chipper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

The Founder had it right, that's all I can say. No one wants greasy chips. Dry and crispy is how I like em.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I only eat chips about once a week. Here's some good reasons to like chips:

Curry cheese chips after a night on the town
    Traditional English fish and chips
    Lasagne and chips
    Chips and mayonnaise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Pasta/Noodles/Couscous/Breads = modern wheats with loads of gluten

Ah yes.....Gluten. everyone hates gluten now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I actually prefer chips to rice with a takeaway although I'll usually do a plate of homemade peppered wedges to go with the food if I know the chips from a certain place are awful.

Always annoys my friends when I eat a side of fries with an Indian takeaway. Because, you know, the entirely authentic Indian subcontinent cuisine experience is completely devalued by a different carbohydrate side to go with your glancing-acquaintance-at-best-with-India fast food order from a South Dublin takeaway after a few bottles of beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I actually prefer chips to rice with a takeaway although I'll usually do a plate of homemade peppered wedges to go with the food if I know the chips from a certain place are awful.

Always annoys my friends when I eat a side of fries with an Indian takeaway. Because, you know, the entirely authentic Indian subcontinent cuisine experience is completely devalued by a different carbohydrate side to go with your glancing-acquaintance-at-best-with-India fast food order from a South Dublin takeaway after a few bottles of beer.

Difference being the rice flavour and consistency is not compromised when the meat, veg & gravy is added to your Indian dish. As such, it complements whatever constitutes the main ingredient. Chips on the other hand become little more than a limp soggy mush & any identifiable taste of chip is utterly lost in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Difference being the rice flavour and consistency is not compromised when the meat, veg & gravy is added to your Indian dish. As such, it complements whatever constitutes the main ingredient. Chips on the other hand become little more than a limp soggy mush & any identifiable taste of chip is utterly lost in the process.

Rice flavour? Ha ha.
    Rice doesn't have a flavour silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Yamanoto wrote: »

Textural consistency is obviously always a huge factor to me when considering the merits of takeaway food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Garlic chip after a few gallons of stout and you're A1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Chips are so boring, plain and unhealthy yet they are so popular. Every takeaway does chips, most takeaways are chippers, Chinese and Pizza restaurant places do chips. Everybody seems to love chips! But they are literally the crappiest form of 'white'/'fast' carbohydrate that is out there. I can never eat more than a few before they become bad tasting, dull, mushy and dry, but people love love love them for some reason. :confused:

Here is an incomplete list of what is better than chips:
    Rice - Wholegrain, egg fried, boiled...
    Pasta - Wholegrain, spaghetti, tagliatelle...
    Noodles - Chinese, Japanese, spicy...
    Couscous - Lemon, peppers, herbs...
    Potatoes - Baby, mashed, sweet... (yes I know chips are made from potatoes :))
    Quinoa - Spices, olives, herbs...
    Bread - Soda, wholegrain, sourdough...

Other things like vegetables and beans and that too...literally every other food that's not gone off is better tasting.

I'd rather go to mass than eat a bag of chips, and I really hate mass. :)

**** off

• Registered Users Posts: 22,586 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Big thick chips with McDonnells curry sauce mmm nothing better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Textural consistency is obviously always a huge factor to me when considering the merits of takeaway food.

Why would it not be?

Hardly the preserve of haute-cuisine.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Omackeral wrote: »
    How the fcuk do you even say that sober, let alone at 2am starving? ''Take me to Epsilon ou Long B-type letter Upside-Down Y akia please''

You walk up&say «Θέλω ένα Σουβλάκι από όλα» Or..just point at the wrap looking yoke which say 2€ beside it and grunt :pac::pac:

Epsilon = Ε\ε btw
    Sigma = Σ\σ\ς

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I hardly ever get chips out of a chipper anymore. All you seem to get is something pale yellow in colour thats not been properly cooked.

I would have thought chips are one of those rare foods that practically no person disliked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

We always ask for our chips to be kept in the basket a bit longer, to make them brown & crispy. I hate white soggy undercooked chips.....

Don't forget the ketchup :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I hardly ever get chips out of a chipper anymore. All you seem to get is something pale yellow in colour thats not been properly cooked.

You're going to the wrong chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Not sure I'd trust someone who said they didn't like chips.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Nicest chips imo would be the Quinlans fish and chips shops in Kerry. Usually go to Killarney for a few days in the summer and always hit the spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

You can't always date supermodels, it doesn't mean you don't like women.

Chip Philosophy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

My corrupted poll options have been corrupted by the mods. :(

Hard to believe 92% of the votes have been wrong as well.

justin-blalock-quote-when-the-chips-are-down-he-can-pull-something.jpg

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Suas11 wrote: »
    You're going to the wrong chipper.

Maybe, but I've tried a fair few and the pickings are slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Super-Rush wrote:
    Maybe, but I've tried a fair few and the pickings are slim.

Unlike the customers

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Gave up on them here as i thought it was the Irish way of doing them: half done and pissed on with vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

It's like playing spot the vegan, but spot the new-age hippy.

You don't have to; they'll tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

NikoTopps wrote: »
    There is a Greek fast food called Σουβλάκια,it just chips,yoghurt sauce,some veggies on a type of bread&it is delicious . I say that as someone who not a big fan of chips,,but Σουβλάκια i would happy to eat all day :pac:
    Oh God yes, that is wonderful. The chips make it extra special.
    I love couscous and all that healthy stuff too with the exception of quinoa- is it wood shavings or what?

Advertisement