Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are chips so popular?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Instagram-9c1ec8.png

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Twice fried chips, preferably done in goose or duck fat. The food of kings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Daddy or chips remains one of the great philosophical questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'd rather go to mass than eat a bag of chips, and I really hate mass.

Try a chip sambo. The ultimate

• Registered Users Posts: 30,314 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Your list is a little confusing to be honest. Lots of the food items you listed are flavored to make them taste better which you can do with chips.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I had to go and buy a bag of chips because of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Chips are so boring, plain and unhealthy yet they are so popular. Every takeaway does chips, most takeaways are chippers, Chinese and Pizza restaurant places do chips. Everybody seems to love chips! But they are literally the crappiest form of 'white'/'fast' carbohydrate that is out there. I can never eat more than a few before they become bad tasting, dull, mushy and dry, but people love love love them for some reason. :confused:

Here is an incomplete list of what is better than chips:
    Rice - Wholegrain, egg fried, boiled...
    Pasta - Wholegrain, spaghetti, tagliatelle...
    Noodles - Chinese, Japanese, spicy...
    Couscous - Lemon, peppers, herbs...
    Potatoes - Baby, mashed, sweet... (yes I know chips are made from potatoes :))
    Quinoa - Spices, olives, herbs...
    Bread - Soda, wholegrain, sourdough...

Other things like vegetables and beans and that too...literally every other food that's not gone off is better tasting.

I'd rather go to mass than eat a bag of chips, and I really hate mass. :)

Go away ya hippy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

First Up wrote: »
    Ever been to Belgium?

Ja. And the Belgian chips are worlds apart from the chips at my local chipper here in Ireland. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭elstingeo

People probably like chips because they have been around for many years and are highly popular. They are also cheap to produce and quick to cook when fried. Therefore a take away can make alright money on chips.

Yes, the items you mentioned may be healthier than chips but people will always like things that you do not in this life and it must be respected.

Additionally, chips can be baked and have spices added which may make them healthier or more nutritious than frying them.

Maybe you should try oven chips with spices, they're not so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

OP is wrong.

Probably the wrongest thing ever posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Chips are so boring, plain and unhealthy yet they are so popular. Every takeaway does chips, most takeaways are chippers, Chinese and Pizza restaurant places do chips. Everybody seems to love chips! But they are literally the crappiest form of 'white'/'fast' carbohydrate that is out there. I can never eat more than a few before they become bad tasting, dull, mushy and dry, but people love love love them for some reason. :confused:

Other things like vegetables and beans and that too...literally every other food that's not gone off is better tasting.

Really couscous is not boring, its not even rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,069 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Kimchi and chips though......

Theres a place of jervis st that does kimchi fries...they are savage

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

There is a Greek fast food called Σουβλάκια,it just chips,yoghurt sauce,some veggies on a type of bread&it is delicious . I say that as someone who not a big fan of chips,,but Σουβλάκια i would happy to eat all day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Chunky chips triple fried in beef dripping...I would eat them out of a dead persons hole!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

NikoTopps wrote: »
    There is a Greek fast food called Σουβλάκια,it just chips,yoghurt sauce,some veggies on a type of bread&it is delicious . I say that as someone who not a big fan of chips,,but Σουβλάκια i would happy to eat all day :pac:

Kin waah?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

My corrupted poll options have been corrupted by the mods. :(

Hard to believe 92% of the votes have been wrong as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

*chuckles*

Hey, I didn't change the results. I just moved the bit about being wrong to where it belongs :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Sorry but I see not one thing on this list better than chips. And you hate Mass.....no redemption for you OP.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

At least it wasn't a vote on Turkey ��

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

osarusan wrote: »
    None of those are better than chips at 2am with booze inside you.

but quinoa...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Twice fried chips, preferably done in goose or duck fat. The food of kings.

Do them in peanut oil yum. Plus OP you forget Taco Chips and of course curry chips :D

Op if you want heathy chips get an air fryer still delicious too

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

NikoTopps wrote: »

How the fcuk do you even say that sober, let alone at 2am starving? ''Take me to Epsilon ou Long B-type letter Upside-Down Y akia please''

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Glasgow salad. (noun).

Chips.

© Viz magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I bet your t-shirts are a size xxx small even though that's not your size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

Some people eat Quinoa ,,, the rest of us like chips,,, they go great with a batter sausage, load of salt and vinegar.

You take out the small white chip bag, this just leaves the big brown bag, then you give it a good shake, a really good shake.

= Heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

/American accent.

I love Potato Chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I have to admit I wouldn't be a huge fan of chips. Never make them at home, never get them in the canteen at work. The only time I ever really get them would be at a chipper. The Fish Wife in Cork do lovely chips. As do Lennox's.

So yes I do like chips...but only nice ones. :pac:

On the rare occasion that we get an Indian takeaway my boyfriend orders chips (and rice) with his curry. Always found it a bit bizarre. Does anyone else do this..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I have to admit I wouldn't be a huge fan of chips. Never make them at home, never get them in the canteen at work. The only time I ever really get them would be at a chipper. The Fish Wife in Cork do lovely chips. As do Lennox's.

So yes I do like chips...but only nice ones. :pac:

On the rare occasion that we get an Indian takeaway my boyfriend orders chips (and rice) with his curry. Always found it a bit bizarre. Does anyone else do this..?

I do that at the Chinese nothing like a good 3 in 1 Chips Rice Chicken Balls and curry yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Then **** off to mass OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I love Potato Chips.

They are crisps, aren't they?

Advertisement