Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are chips so popular?

Options
  • 17-04-2017 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Chips are so boring, plain and unhealthy yet they are so popular. Every takeaway does chips, most takeaways are chippers, Chinese and Pizza restaurant places do chips. Everybody seems to love chips! But they are literally the crappiest form of 'white'/'fast' carbohydrate that is out there. I can never eat more than a few before they become bad tasting, dull, mushy and dry, but people love love love them for some reason. :confused:

Here is an incomplete list of what is better than chips:
    Rice - Wholegrain, egg fried, boiled...
    Pasta - Wholegrain, spaghetti, tagliatelle...
    Noodles - Chinese, Japanese, spicy...
    Couscous - Lemon, peppers, herbs...
    Potatoes - Baby, mashed, sweet... (yes I know chips are made from potatoes :))
    Quinoa - Spices, olives, herbs...
    Bread - Soda, wholegrain, sourdough...

Other things like vegetables and beans and that too...literally every other food that's not gone off is better tasting.

I'd rather go to mass than eat a bag of chips, and I really hate mass. :)

Are chips a bit manky? 13 votes

Yes, they are a bit manky. But I am also frequently wrong about a lot of things in my life.
    0% 0 votes
    No, I love chips.
    100% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Because a lot of people think they're nice duh.

In other news, people like different stuff than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Because they are awesome. Your entire post is deeply and fundamentally wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

So you don't like chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Allinall

Fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

They may not be healthy but they taste great. Especially drenched in malt vinegar. Yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

because they are as cheap as chips

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

None of those are better than chips at 2am with booze inside you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'd eat chips nearly every day if possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I don't like the thing so nobody else should like the thing either.
    Everyone else is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

You know your stomach thinks all potatoes are mashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

After 16 pints of lager you can enjoy your healthy bag of quinoa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Can't imagine fish and quinoa in my local chipper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Manny89

Because they taste nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

...better than chips:
    Rice = Jasmine is not bad, brown may contain trace levels of arsenic
    Pasta/Noodles/Couscous/Breads = modern wheats with loads of gluten

Solution: 'Sweet Potato Chips'.
    Also good as a soup with garlic, ginger, turmeric, pepper, bromelain, carrots, sea salt, butter etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Chips from the chipper or home cooked in oil with salt and vinegar is pretty close to been the best tasting thing in the world. It pisses me off that my work canteen only does chips on friday. I wish I could understand the planet your on op, as i'd have a decent figure if it wasnt for chips but I dont know how anybody could live without chips, there amazing and well worth the calories

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'd love some chipper chips now

If you think rice and pasta are nicer than chips you have something wrong with your tastebuds.

You can have chips on their own and they taste great. You're not fooling anybody if you're tucking into a bowl of rice or pasta on their own and saying it's nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,814 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Years of brain washing your taste buds is reason so many love chips. The diet in Ireland and uk is vastly different that rest of Europe, as is the drinking. No wonder the country is full of short asses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

because they are mouthful shaped. you can touch them with your fingers. and they are laced in delicious fat

• Advertisement

What we want to eat doesn't just come down to what we think tastes better. Chips are the go-to food for a particular type of greasy craving that I think becomes habitual for a lot of people.

I've been eating way better recently and as some of you saw, I started a thread about my new love, kimchi. The longer I eat well for, the less I crave stuff like chips and the more I want to snack on cabbage.

The same happened to you OP but you didn't notice it.

Years of brain washing your taste buds is reason so many love chips.

Except it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The diet in Ireland and uk is vastly different that rest of Europe, as is the drinking.

Ever been to Belgium?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Chips are so boring, plain and unhealthy yet they are so popular. Every takeaway does chips, most takeaways are chippers, Chinese and Pizza restaurant places do chips. Everybody seems to love chips! But they are literally the crappiest form of 'white'/'fast' carbohydrate that is out there. I can never eat more than a few before they become bad tasting, dull, mushy and dry, but people love love love them for some reason. :confused:

Rice - Wholegrain, egg fried, boiled...
    Pasta - Wholegrain, spaghetti, tagliatelle...
    Noodles - Chinese, Japanese, spicy...
    Couscous - Lemon, peppers, herbs...
    Potatoes - Baby, mashed, sweet... (yes I know chips are made from potatoes :))
    Quinoa - Spices, olives, herbs...
    Bread - Soda, wholegrain, sourdough...

Other things like vegetables and beans and that too...literally every other food that's not gone off is better tasting.

I'd rather go to mass than eat a bag of chips, and I really hate mass. :)

Someone has got a chip on their shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

If you think rice and pasta are nicer than chips you have something wrong with your tastebuds.

You can have chips on their own and they taste great. You're not fooling anybody if you're tucking into a bowl of rice or pasta on their own and saying it's nice.

But of course I wouldn't sit down to eat a plain bowl of pasta or rice. Anyway with chips you'd also have some fish/burger/chicken with ketchup/curry/gravy. So with pasta/rice, you'd have them with a sauce and some meat or whatever.

Chips drool, everything else rules. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Someone has got a chip on their shoulder.

badum tish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Go ahead and open a hipsterish "chipper" where you sell vegan quinoa with some fancy herbs in a paper bag at 2am to fancy craft beer lovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

What we want to eat doesn't just come down to what we think tastes better. Chips are the go-to food for a particular type of greasy craving that I think becomes habitual for a lot of people.

I've been eating way better recently and as some of you saw, I started a thread about my new love, kimchi. The longer I eat well for, the less I crave stuff like chips and the more I want to snack on cabbage.

The same happened to you OP but you didn't notice it.

Kimchi and chips though......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

After 16 pints of lager you can enjoy your healthy bag of quinoa.

Seems it is pronounced "kin waaah" as well. Which makes it even harder to order.

"A bag of Quinn noah please"

"Kin waah?"

"I said a bag of Quinn noah and no need for the cursing either"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Instagram-9c1ec8.png

Advertisement