Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor refusing to see new patient

Options

Comments

That's like me saying, i prefer hiring men as they don't disappear for years to have children.

That gave me a good belly laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

red ears wrote: »
    The simple fact of the matter is if a woman specified she wanted a female doctor we all know she would get that in a heartbeat. Why should it be any different if a man wants a male doctor. It's the double standard.

No, the simple fact of the matter is that the OP seems to have a problem with the idea that the chosen GP's list might be full and that's why the person in question can't get on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'm going to start a thread like this in the future but with the genders reversed.
    That's the thing, if the patient was female no one would raise an eye brow at this preference. A male patient is told to "grow up".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

stevek93 wrote: »

Would a women see a man doctor about a female issue? It doesn't happen.
    I can understand you being more comfortable seeing a male doctor if that's what you're used to but as for your last sentence??
    It happens every day of the week.
    My own doctor is male, I've been going to him for 30 yrs, he's seen me through teenage issues,pregnancies and now early menopause. As he has for hundreds of other female patients. There is a female doctor also, she's lovely, I see her if mine is away. Neither her nor his gender comes into it, only their expertise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

And me!

He started out subtly but ruined it for himself. They always do nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It's the man's personal preference for personal reasons, what you lot think of him for it is irrelevant. The issue is his request was denied so what can he do about it.

I have a male doctor but he has had female auxillary doctors standing in when he was away and at times I felt it was a better experience to deal with the female doctor. I don't have the option of changing because he's the only doctor nearby but I can understand why someone would.

And me!

He started out subtly but ruined it for himself. They always do nowadays.
    Fineso.mom is a lot more enlightened than you are. Maybe, you should have a look at your own prejudices.

Fineso.mom is a lot more enlightened than you are. Maybe, you should have a look at your own prejudices.

Learn how to argue and people won't laugh at your attempts.

:D

Learn how to argue and people won't laugh at your attempts.
    Haha. I work with patients every day. It's not exactly going to increase concordance/ adherence.

• Advertisement

Haha. I work with patients every day. It's not exactly going to increase concordance/ adherence.

So do I :D

Well not every day. I do get days off like. Except when I'm on call. Then I don't. And not today because I'm on an aeroplane.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

Hope it's not United. They don't like people on their planes who look after patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,262 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

radia wrote: »
    Hope it's not United. They don't like people on their planes who look after patients.

I hope the pilot is female.

radia wrote: »

Ha no! Emirates.

Best airline I've ever been on. Fly with them semi regularly and it's always a pleasure. And I hate flying.

OP, to answer the question you actually asked :

I think most traditional clinics won't allow a once off visit unless it's an emergency but you can move your entire medical record to another one if that's what would be best for you.

As others have said there are also plenty of walk in clinics nowadays too that will let you have a preference.

If you do end up with a female doc, you are entitled to ask for a chaperone to be in the room with you.

My gynae is a man so yeah, it does happen. I don't care what gender my doc is for any stuff personally, but I fully support people having a doc they're comfortable with.

Whether that's someone they just feel they can confide in better, or someone of the same gender for more intimate issues, I think it's okay to want to be at ease with your doc. The more at ease the patient is, the easier the docs job is.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

My GP is a woman and I personally don't care about the gender. They go through the same training as anyone else. That said, I wouldn't judge what doctor people go to in order to feel comfortable. Whatever is conducive to a good clinician-patient relationship is a good thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

A doctor is a doctor.

Not in Saudi Arabia

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Not in Saudi Arabia

Saudi Arabia is a backward hole though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

H

If you do end up with a female doc, you are entitled to ask for a chaperone to be in the room with you.

Just curious on this.

Are you entitled to a chaperone if you are visiting a doctor of your own sex?

Allinall wrote: »
    Just curious on this.

Are you entitled to a chaperone if you are visiting a doctor of your own sex?

Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Candie wrote: »
    My gynae is a man so yeah, it does happen.

Nice work if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Jesus, she's a trained professional. Nothing uttered in the room will ever be heard by anyone else. You afraid she's going to think your peeper is small, grow up and go and visit your female doctor!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,745 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Finally someone who understands. My female doctor would not see to me about a male issue I had before she put me on a waiting list with took nearly a year. I can't understand all these negative comments here why should he be told what doctor to see.

Your should be making a formal complaint about the negligence of your female GP.

I had a male GP for years, and happily discussed gynaecological issues with him. No problem at all with him taking smears, either. He's a doctor, ffs, not some random on the street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

In fairness to OP, anytime I have a man issue I always ask for the male doc in my practice, as the female doc is seriously good looking and id find it very hard to keep it "calm".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Nice work if you can get it.
    I'd imagine that by the time you've seen 1,000 of them, some in, shall we say, a serious state of disrepair, the thrill wears off somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

If you were married to the female doctor and you got a hamster stuck up your bum?

The type of doctor you need is not gender specific.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Op Does he have a medical card? Each imdividual GP has a limited set for them for medical card patients that they are allowed to take on. Most GPs are at their limit so that is why it is so hard to change GPs. There are very few GPs starting and more and more retiring. He probably got assigned to a GP who had a free slot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Ha no! Emirates.

Best airline I've ever been on. Fly with them semi regularly and it's always a pleasure. And I hate flying.

OP, to answer the question you actually asked :

I think most traditional clinics won't allow a once off visit unless it's an emergency but you can move your entire medical record to another one if that's what would be best for you.

As others have said there are also plenty of walk in clinics nowadays too that will let you have a preference.

I think that the OP is a medical card holder which rules out any of the options you've suggested.
    If he can get another practice to take him on the medical card scheme and medical cards agree then that'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

OP have you not watched embarrassing bodies, that gets down to the nitty gritty of what matters, not 'who' matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Op.

Your 'friend' obviously has a medical card.

When you go to a practice to sign up with a particular doctor the practice may transfer your name onto the list of a particular doctor and therefore grow their list of patients. This is often a strategic move by the practice in order to entitle the doctor to certain benefits eg. The dr only gets sick benefit from the hse if they have 500 patients or the dr only gets maternity pay if she has 500 patients or something like that. So practices will often move patients around to maximise their benefits.
    This does not mean that you have to see the lady dr. Think of it that you are signed up to a practise as a whole and not a particular doctor. So you can see the male dr if you want even if their name is not written on your card.

Just call the practise on Monday day and say a I'd like an appointmentry with Dr male a d they'll say what day would suit you sir.

If you wish to see a male dr then go for it you are dead right and ignore all this stuff about seeing a lady dr. Obviously in the case of an extreme emergency this does not apply

Advertisement