Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor refusing to see new patient

Options
  • 15-04-2017 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Not to sure where to put this every thread I see is in a different section.

Someone I know moved doctors from the country to Dublin about 9 months ago. When completing the change of doctor form he specifically asked for the male doctor in the clinic but for some reason they gave him the female doctor. Now obvious reasons there is some things you cannot see a female doctor about not getting into detail.

He is now trying to change GP as they will not let him change to the male doctor. No GP will take him on he is being told you have to see your own doctor and that's it. What can he do here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'd personally, not medical advice now, but would go to the walk in clinic until you can get sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

I cannot think of one thing that a man cannot see a female doctor about.

Not one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

stevek93 wrote: »
    Now obvious reasons there is some things you cannot see a female doctor about not getting into detail.

A doctor is a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

He can just grow up and go to the female doctor!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,262 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Like saying I dont like Doctors whose surname begins with a vowel I want a different one.

If you need a doctor you go to a doctor. He has a qualified doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

If your mate needed life saving surgery and the surgeon was a lady...would he say no??? Like sh1t would he.....

Tell him to grow up...be sure..he wont suprise her and she will more than likely have heard/seen it all before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭893bet

Allinall wrote: »

Not one.

There isn't. But some people have preferences and would feel more comfortable with a doctor of there own sex.

Same as some women would prefer to see a female doctor certain times.

Comparing this situation to a life saving surgery situation is bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

You should change the title of the Op, it's not doctors refusing to see patient, It's patient refusing to see doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

He can just grow up and go to the female doctor!

I don't think it's odd to want to see a doctor of your own gender for certain things.

I didn't go to my old man GP for smears or when I found a lump on my breast or when I had endometriosis. Absolutely nothing to do with "growing up". If I had to go to a male doctor for those things it would have been OK. I had a male obstetrician because I heard good things about him. But my preference for female issues is a female GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Allinall wrote: »

Not one.

If you were married to the female doctor and you got a hamster stuck up your bum?

• Advertisement

I don't think it's odd to want to see a doctor of your own gender for certain things.

I didn't go to my old man GP for smears or when I found a lump on my breast or when I had endometriosis. Absolutely nothing to do with "growing up". If I had to go to a male doctor for those things it would have been OK. I had a male obstetrician because I heard good things about him. But my preference for female issues is a female GP.
    But you didnt demand a change from your "old man GP"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hi all,

Not to sure where to put this every thread I see is in a different section.

Someone I know moved doctors from the country to Dublin about 9 months ago. When completing the change of doctor form he specifically asked for the male doctor in the clinic but for some reason they gave him the female doctor. Now obvious reasons there is some things you cannot see a female doctor about not getting into detail.

He is now trying to change GP as they will not let him change to the male doctor. No GP will take him on he is being told you have to see your own doctor and that's it. What can he do here?

Well I mean he can see a female doctor. If his preference for a male doctor is that strong, which is fair enough, he might be able to find a drop in GP place in town somewhere

I'm surprised they won't let him switch to the male GP. Is he just for social or something?

I don't think telling someone to grow up for preferring a doc of their own gender is fair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭sundodger5

If it is a group practice with both gender doctors working in it then a once off "can i see the male GP" chat with the Secretary should not be an issue

pjohnson wrote: »
    But you didnt demand a change from your "old man GP"?

No because he had no other doctors in his practice, it was him and him alone, so I went to another practice entirely.

I think OP is deleting thread now.....

I understand that it is about comfort levels but the OP mentions "there are some things a man wouldn't go to a female doctor about". I think that is very silly due to the extensive training doctors have. My reading is that this man needs a doctor for a specific issue but is refusing to go to a female one purely due to her gender.

No because he had no other doctors in his practice, it was him and him alone, so I went to another practice entirely.

Yes but you did not try to demand a formal change?

I understand that it is about comfort levels but the OP mentions "there are some things a man wouldn't go to a female doctor about". I think that is very silly due to the extensive training doctors have. My reading is that this man needs a doctor for a specific issue but is refusing to go to a female one purely due to her gender.

He wants to see a male doctor for male issues. And you're telling him to grow up. Not entirely fair whatever his reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Seems abit bonkers that, taken to its logical conclusion, someone would have a preference for a bad male doctor over a good female one!!

Personally, if I, or someone I care about is ill, then I'd want the best doctor be it a he, she or it :)

He wants to see a male doctor for male issues. And you're telling him to grow up. Not entirely fair whatever his reasons.

Well it depends on severity of the issue. If its small you may nitpick but if its some kind of emergency surely any doctor will suffice.

• Advertisement

Ah the typical dickhead boards response. The guy is probably out of his mind thinking he has prostate cancer and he wants a male doctor because who knows, maybe he has just spent 50 years used to the idea.

But it's 2017 so he's wrong and screw this thing that would make him feel better and screw giving advice. Let's just judge him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Hmm a thread with all context removed, let the wild speculation begin!

Ah the typical dickhead boards response. The guy is probably out of his mind thinking he has prostate cancer and he wants a male doctor because who knows, maybe he has just spent 50 years used to the idea.

But it's 2017 so he's wrong and screw this thing that would make him feel better and screw giving advice. Let's just judge him.

Anything to do with the prostate?

Deffo want a female doc for that one.......

........slimmer fingers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Finally someone who understands. My female doctor would not see to me about a male issue I had before she put me on a waiting list with took nearly a year. I can't understand all these negative comments here why should he be told what doctor to see.

Would a women see a man doctor about a female issue? It doesn't happen.

Well if I thought I had cancer I wouldnt give a sh*te what the doctor was once they could tell me my result.

Well it depends on severity of the issue. If its small you may nitpick but if its some kind of emergency surely any doctor will suffice.

That's what I think. Surely having your ailment treated is more important than the gender of the highly skilled professional treating it.

Finally someone who understands. My female doctor would not see to me about a male issue I had before she put me on a waiting list with took nearly a year. I can't understand all these negative comments here why should he be told what doctor to see.

Really, between Holles Street and the Rotunda how many male masters of the the State's two largest maternity hospitals have there been do you reckon?

Well if your female doctor REFUSED you that is a completely separate issue to the initial OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Well if your female doctor REFUSED you that is a completely separate issue to the initial OP.

She refused to see me about a male issue.

• Advertisement

If your female GP put you on a waiting list and you waited for nearly a year, surely it was to see a consultant, not another GP?

Advertisement