Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor refusing to see new patient

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Jawgap wrote: »
    If your female GP put you on a waiting list and you waited for nearly a year, surely it was to see a consultant, not another GP?

Yes consultant as she refused to examine a male issue I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

stevek93 wrote: »
    She refused to see me about a male issue.

I dont think this is legal.....

Oh so you mean she REFERRED you not REFUSED you

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Found a lump on my testicle. My GP was away. Was offered a female GP. Figured she probably had to go through that chapter in college so went in. She checked my testicles, prescribed a course of action and all was well.

A doctor is a doctor unless you have a reason like negative reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Well clearly she felt it needed expert attention, or a diagnostic test she didn't have access to and to save time (your time!) she referred you straight to the consultant - like a good GP should!!

Jeez, doctors can't win - if they're slow to refer they get slagged off, and now you seem to be criticising one for being too quick to refer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have never had a prostate exam or anything to do with my nether regions with a doctor but I would genuinely feel a lot more comfortable with a female doctor than a male.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Well clearly she felt it needed expert attention, or a diagnostic test she didn't have access to and to save time (your time!) she referred you straight to the consultant - like a good GP should!!

Jeez, doctors can't win - if they're slow to refer they get slagged off, and now you seem to be criticising one for being too quick to refer!

Title should be

"GP refers patient"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

stevek93 wrote:
    Would a women see a man doctor about a female issue? It doesn't happen.

I see my male GP about any issue I have. I would only see the female GP if it was urgent and he wasn't available.

I see my male GP about any issue I have. I would only see the female GP if it was urgent and he wasn't available.

Are you male or female?

He can just grow up and go to the female doctor!

I don't think it's odd to want to see a doctor of your own gender for certain things.

I didn't go to my old man GP for smears or when I found a lump on my breast or when I had endometriosis. Absolutely nothing to do with "growing up". If I had to go to a male doctor for those things it would have been OK. I had a male obstetrician because I heard good things about him. But my preference for female issues is a female GP.
    You do realise that is sexism.

• Advertisement

And aside from the "referal" scandal I dont see how the gender is in anyway involved. If you needed a consultant a male GP would have refered you?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

stevek93 wrote:
    Are you male or female?

Female

Don't be so politically correct. If a patient doesn't feel comfortable seeing a male or female doctor about a certain issue it is their choice no need to judge.

I'm going to start a thread like this in the future but with the genders reversed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

pjohnson wrote:
    But you didnt demand a change from your "old man GP"?

I think this mind set should "grow up"

Many women feel more comfortable about having a female gp when it comes to certain issues.

I know I would feel awkward about getting my bits out for a female gp. I mean what if I got aroused. That would be very awkward for both myself and the gp. I'm bot trying to sound sexist I'm just saying if a pretty lady is touching me its gonna get weird.

It's not a sexist issue to have a preference doctor in certain situations. I know that no woman would be even questioned if she asked for a female doctor so why should a guy be ridiculed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

This is a bizarre thread. All doctors go through the same training. They don't get split by sex day one and only deal with medical issues of their own sex.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    This is a bizarre thread. All doctors go through the same training. They don't get split by sex day one and only deal with medical issues of their own sex.

Not all doctors are young so no, they haven't all done the same training. Were woman taught 40 years ago how to feel for prostate cancer? And if so, would she be as experienced at it?

Don't be so politically correct. If a patient doesn't feel comfortable seeing a male or female doctor about a certain issue it is their choice no need to judge.
    So if I don't feel comfortable been seen by a black doctor. Then that's not racism?

Not all doctors are young so no, they haven't all done the same training. Were woman taught 40 years ago how to feel for prostate cancer? And if so, would she be as experienced at it?

I would assume so. Prostate cancer isnt new. If a male learnt it 40 years ago so did female

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Ah stop.

Yeh real sexist to prefer a woman's hand in my vagina :rolleyes:

Womens health clinics are sexist so. Male cancer charities.

And gynaecologists, who won't even see a male patient. Well - perhaps we should report their blatent discrimination.

Sexist indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

I don't see the problem in a patient being more comfortable seeing a doctor of the same sex. From a doctor's point of view they've seen it all and it doesn't bother them if the patient is male/female, but as a patient there are a lot of things I'd rather discuss with a female than a male(I'm female).

I'm not a seasoned professional, I'm a person that gets nervous about these kinds of things and would prefer as little awkwardness as possible. Sometimes it easier talking to another female/male.

Ah stop.

And gynaecologists, who won't even see a male patient. Well - perhaps we should report their blatent discrimination.

Sexist indeed.

I dont think you know what a gynaecologist is......or wait was that an attempt at funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

A whole hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Sure, there are some people who won't care whether their doctor is male or female regardless of the particular issue.

But others will be more comfortable with one or the other (always or depending on the issue) and it's silly to be telling them it shouldn't matter, they should grow up, it's sexism.

A doctor friend of mine once told me that number one cause of death in Irish males is embarassment.

I can think of different reasons to opt for different doctors, but gender has to be one of the stupidest - everyone has stories of friends or family who suffered terrible illnesses or died because their condition wasn't diagnosed quick enough, so it seems bonkers, in my opinion, that you would put off seeing a doctor for fear of being a bit embarassed.

In case you don't realise it, the vast majority of doctors, especially GPs, are empathic and are trained to deal with nervous, concerned patients - they have also, absolutely, seen it all before on multiple occasions so you are not bringing them anything new, novel or shocking.

The only time I gave my GP something new to deal with was when I brought a case of dengue back from travelling - and thankfully the reception in the GP insisted I see a doc different to my usual one, who afterwards jokingly admitted that if he'd seen me he'd probably have sent me home for bed rest and paracetemol!!

Ah stop.

Sexist indeed.
    Gynaecologists do see male patients. For example... IVF treatment. Stop been so ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

pjohnson wrote: »
    I dont think you know what a gynaecologist is......or wait was that an attempt at funny?

Unfortunately I know far too well what a gynaecologist is. I've been through absolute hell with one and am so glad to have had such a fantastic doctor to get me through it.

And yes, I'm terribly terribly sexist for feeling more at ease speaking to someone who actually may have experienced some of the things I've experienced.

Get up the yard.

Unfortunately I know far too well what a gynaecologist is. I've been through absolute hell with one and am so glad to have had such a fantastic doctor to get me through it.

And yes, I'm terribly terribly sexist for feeling more at ease speaking to someone who actually may have experienced some of the things I've experienced.

Get up the yard.
    That's like me saying, i prefer hiring men as they don't disappear for years to have children.

.....someone who can paint and wallpaper their hall, stairs and landing through the letterbox?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

The simple fact of the matter is if a woman specified she wanted a female doctor we all know she would get that in a heartbeat. Why should it be any different if a man wants a male doctor. It's the double standard.

Advertisement