Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

in fairness, there's only so far wrong you can go for €1k. A one owner Civic Hybrid with tax and test is a bargain for that. I agree, not a rocket, but a fine car.

... no E11 Corolla though, you know it's all downhill from here for that car, which is a bit sad given it's condition at present.

I actually had a call from a Toyota main dealer down de' country this morning..so there is a glimmer of hope for the old thing yet :)

I did have a fella look at it yesterday; I was out at a classic car show up the road from my house and told him he could come and see it there. He drove up from Tullamore or somewhere, on his own (first sign..) - complained about a few factory welds under the boot carpet, a missing door protector thing and his parting words were "I wasn't expecting there to be any marks on it"; as in, he was expecting a totally blemish free car, for €700. Madness

I do wish I had somewhere for it. It really is one of the nicest e11s on Donedeal at the minute. Its in the corner of the yard now looking all forlorn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I actually had a call from a Toyota main dealer down de' country this morning..so there is a glimmer of hope for the old thing yet :)

That's unusual to get that! Brian Geary Car sales in Rathkeale by any chance? I see they tend to have a range of late 80's and 90's models across the Corolla/Starlet/Carina/Avensis range on display in their showroom there of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

MDRmNmIyY2VmN2UzOTFiYzhlZmI3YTViOTBjNmI3YzC6fUqK3_ZzalP_0FHInWzPaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjIxMzgwOTF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

New NCT last week for another year
    Less than 100k miles
    Automatic
    Seems a nice honest car
    Asking €950

That's unusual to get that! Brian Geary Car sales in Rathkeale by any chance? I see they tend to have a range of late 80's and 90's models across the Corolla/Starlet/Carina/Avensis range on display in their showroom there of late.

No, a dealer in Tipp. With a very minor bit of work I dare say the car could be brought to showroom standard anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nice colour and a good price. Additional aerlal is a bit strange.
    Current owner (Assuming they’re the one selling it) has had it since December 2016.

Lack of NCT lets it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Not Bangernomics for this thread. No NCT.

Nice bus though

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    MDRmNmIyY2VmN2UzOTFiYzhlZmI3YTViOTBjNmI3YzC6fUqK3_ZzalP_0FHInWzPaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjIxMzgwOTF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

New NCT last week for another year
    Less than 100k miles
    Automatic
    Seems a nice honest car
    Asking €950

Seller isn’t that honest
    - Really economical car for a 1.8 Petrol, 38-45 mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭CoBo55

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Seller isn’t that honest

Maybe that's what the display is telling him, they're woefully inaccurate.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Seller isn’t that honest

Wow! Hadn't seen that. Definitely dodgy statement alright, and add on the fact it's an automatic too :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Quick question!

So I had a look at the spare wheel on the A6 I bought this weekend. Turns out it's a brand new unused alloy on an unused Bridgestone tyre!
    Considering that tyre is most likely 16 years old is it safe to use?
    It looks fine, not perished or anything.
    There is a code on the tyre wall that shows year of manufacture right?
    How do I find it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

W123-80's wrote: »
    Quick question!

So I had a look at the spare wheel on the A6 I bought this weekend. Turns out it's a brand new unused alloy on an unused Bridgestone tyre!
    Considering that tyre is most likely 16 years old is it safe to use?
    It looks fine, not perished or anything.
    There is a code on the tyre wall that shows year of manufacture right?
    How do I find it?!

It will be a number like 2205....

That would be 22nd week in 2005 for example.

I would treat it like any spare only use it to get you home and or to tyre garage to replace or fix the original punctured tyre.

Don't drive at anything above 80km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I would treat it like any spare only use it to get you home and or to tyre garage to replace or fix the original punctured tyre.

Or just change it for confidence and safety sake. Its only 1 tyre !

I'll check the code later. Thanks.
    I was intending using it! Front tyres could do with replacing so I figured I'd use that and buy one other Bridgestone to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I was intending using it! Front tyres could do with replacing so I figured I'd use that and buy one other Bridgestone to go with it.

That's what I'd do too. Time to get the ear muffs before the sound of hooves deafens me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Don't. It's an old tyre, not only from material, but also design point of view. A new tyre will be better in all characteristics, from grip, aquaplaning tolerance to noise.

Get a pair of matching tyres, lateral imbalance can be lethal. Use this only a spare, nothing more

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don't use if it's old.

As I said as a spare yes should be ok but just to get you home.

Don't be mistaken that this means you can safely use as a full time there now and just by one new.

This is a very bad idea.....

The new one will most likely be made in last 3 years and other you have well over 10 years old if in car from new which is most likely the case.

Thanks lads,
    Confirmed what I suspected!
    I won't be using it. Shame :pac:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/09-opel-insignia-new-nct/21304088

2009 Insignia 1.9 CDTI;
    190K KM;
    NCT 02/2020;
    Annual motor tax €390 p.a.
    Asking €2,000 and open to offers

would rather see a service history on this one.

• Advertisement

That looks alright, and the ad reads quite genuine too. Nice find

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Wouldn't go near it.

Yeah they’re pretty crap but if you need something that will fit nicely into a corporate car park it will do the job just fine. It’s grey, it’s got a new(ish) reg and it’s sensible looking

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Yeah they’re pretty crap but if you need something that will fit nicely into a corporate car park it will do the job just fine. It’s grey, it’s got a new(ish) reg and it’s sensible looking

Fit in as in park it there and never touch it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

My Dad might be selling his 04 Corolla and I'm looking to see how to price it or if it would sell at all !!!
    2004 Toyota Corolla saloon
    168k miles
    Tax June 19
    NCT July 19
    Clean but small section of paintwork on 1 door panel not great
    Needs drop ling (I think)
    Clutch done a couple of months ago

Thoughts?

Yep it certainly wouldn't be my first choice of car (re the Insignia). Not sure if these are the same but I owned petrol Vectras before and if you don't look after them you will be sorry. Even if you do look after them most likely you will be sorry. I can't really imagine the diesel Insignia's being any better in that sense. Hence why I also posted I'd rather be seen a service history and even at that....

As Duke alludes to its more if you need something as cheap as possible to try keep up appearances and concerned about motor tax and insurance and that's the angle I posted it from.

cocoman wrote: »
    My Dad might be selling his 04 Corolla and I'm looking to see how to price it or if it would sell at all !!!
    2004 Toyota Corolla saloon
    168k miles
    Tax June 19
    NCT July 19
    Clean but small section of paintwork on 1 door panel not great
    Needs drop ling (I think)
    Clutch done a couple of months ago

Thoughts?

Probably look for €650/700, but expect around €500 realistically.

They make anything from 500 to maybe a grand, but the higher prices will be very low mileage and new NCTs etc, although when you have ads like this for 595, it's hard to know!

ZDhlZmIyNWNlNzg0YjZmMzY1ZTYzMDdlYTU4ODMxNmZMPXRj2JwnbIHGy1CyzR8maHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjIwMzQ4MDN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

In fairness, it's hard to say accurately without knowing the condition of the car, and is there a service history etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Probably look for €650/700, but expect around €500 realistically.

They make anything from 500 to maybe a grand, but the higher prices will be very low mileage and new NCTs etc, although when you have ads like this for 595, it's hard to know!

ZDhlZmIyNWNlNzg0YjZmMzY1ZTYzMDdlYTU4ODMxNmZMPXRj2JwnbIHGy1CyzR8maHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjIwMzQ4MDN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

In fairness, it's hard to say accurately without knowing the condition of the car, and is there a service history etc?

Cheers. I must ask him about the service history and might put it through NCT before advertising. 15 year old car might be a problem for insurance though?

cocoman wrote: »
    Cheers. I must ask him about the service history and might put it through NCT before advertising. 15 year old car might be a problem for insurance though?

This has come up here a few times, but there are still a few companies quoting for cars of that age, so it's not all bad. I checked a car last week with Liberty Insurance and they informed me they will do cars up to 20 years old

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭E30i

I did have a fella look at it yesterday; I was out at a classic car show up the road from my house and told him he could come and see it there. He drove up from Tullamore or somewhere, on his own (first sign..) - complained about a few factory welds under the boot carpet, a missing door protector thing and his parting words were "I wasn't expecting there to be any marks on it"; as in, he was expecting a totally blemish free car, for €700. Madness

I do wish I had somewhere for it. It really is one of the nicest e11s on Donedeal at the minute. Its in the corner of the yard now looking all forlorn

Met Duke this morning and had a good look at the Corolla. Lovely old bus accurately described if anyone is on the fence. I didn't buy due to being uncomfortable in the car. However I'm 6 3 and hadn't driven one before so totally my lack of research. Anyone else considering I got a quote of 249 with Carole Nash so it is viable

It deserves a good home

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement