Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

W123-80's wrote: »
    Cheers!
    Ya, I was happy with the price. I genuinely think it's worth it though. €670 annual tax aside it's basically free motoring. Feck a will break on it!

Didn't realise you had an Octavia! What miles on her? Is it diesel?

Mk1 estate late 01, looks slightly different to the original (your version) version, think its facelifted 131k miles 1.9 Diesel, it came from the UK and was immaculate on the inside when I got it, clean inside, except the boot, which I just cant get all the dog hairs out of. Its an Elegance spec, has some extras I like, Id like to change as Ive had it for 6 years, does fantastic mpg, and cheap to keep going. I dont think I'll be as lucky to get something as reliable, but would like something a bit newer and nicer, Id go for the silver estate ZT-T a few pages back but the guy says in the ad he wont budge so dont ask in his ad, I think he's a good bit overpriced. Really this car would have been ideal for anyone doing loads of miles and it might still do someone if its possible to get 700 euro for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Sold to first person who looked at it!
    700 notes. All good. He has a good car and I'm happy with the price.
    Off to cork in the morning to complete my swap!

Swap complete. Mayo to Cork and back today.
    A6 sitting outside now!
    Got it for €780 in the end. It's as good as I expected. Not spotless bodywise, interior is very clean. Drives lovely. Ate up the miles from Cork to Mayo on the way home.
    Delighted with it tbh!
    Viva la Bangernomics!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Well gents, the inevitable has happened a bit sooner than even I had anticipated. Have my lovely little Corolla on Donedeal:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1997-toyota-corolla-1-3/21521932

MDhhZmIyOTczZDg1ZGViMTM4NGJjNDcxYzNlZWJkYTeqBsEz0Bl0AX8K_eDO1bjIaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjIwNDc2MDN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I picked up a cheap 07 Civic hybrid this evening (more on that later..) and need to move something on; the Corolla got the short straw! I appreciate the test is a bit short, but I'm hoping the tax and its condition makes up for it. This is a lovely little car and IMO cannot be faulted at all. If anyone here in interested give me a buzz and I'll do good deal!

Good luck with sale Duke.
    That car looks immaculate. Someone's going to get a great deal.

Good luck with sale Duke.
    That car looks immaculate. Someone's going to get a great deal.

Thanks. I know any sale is a good sale, but I hope it goes to a good home and its not ran into the ground like so many were/are. Its much too good for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

I have done a deal an am changing to a newer octy. As part exchange dealer is allowing me €500 for my 07 Octavia!!! Anyway I'm now thinking of paying the extra €500 and selling it myself. My Dad said he might buy it off me so I suppose I better give him first refusal. He currently has an 04 Corolla.

I don't have an ad done but details are:
    2007 Octavia Ambiente
    1.4 petrol
    280k km
    NCT May 2020
    Taxed until end June
    4 new tyres
    Full documented service history
    Well minded clean car that we have owned since 2007 (it was a demo).

Bad points - needs wheel bearing (quoted €160 fitted). Timing belt last done 90k km ago. Rear wiper motor gone.

What do ye think?

I don't really know what the market is like for those, but I would guess you won't have people queuing up to take it off you. A quick look on Donedeal yields surprising results, plenty of €2-3k examples. I'd try my hand at €1500 and if you don't get any bites within a few days gradually drop it (€1250, 1k etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

cocoman wrote: »
    I have done a deal an am changing to a newer octy. As part exchange dealer is allowing me €500 for my 07 Octavia!!! Anyway I'm now thinking of paying the extra €500 and selling it myself. My Dad said he might buy it off me so I suppose I better give him first refusal. He currently has an 04 Corolla.

2007 Octavia Ambiente
    1.4 petrol
    280k km
    NCT May 2020
    Taxed until end June
    4 new tyres

Bad points - needs wheel bearing (quoted €160 fitted). Timing belt last done 90k km ago. Rear wiper motor gone.

What do ye think?
    Price ?

Price ?

€1000

2007 Octavia Ambiente
    1.4 petrol
    280k km
    NCT May 2020
    Taxed until end June
    4 new tyres

What do ye think?

Unless you are stuck for a few hundred euro I'd probably trade tbh.
    The mileage is highish for the engine, it won't have huge appeal as a private sale.
    In saying that, it's still probably worth advertising for €1,200 with disclosure on bits that need doing. See what the interest is like. You might get your €1k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

......... As part exchange dealer is allowing me €500 for my 07 Octavia!!! ...........

The dealer might be delighted to have nothing to do with your present wheels. Try him on what its worth to him to not have the thing. ( I had a similar situation awhile ago :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Lovely looking car alright Duke. Best of luck with the sale. Don't imagine that will hang around too long!

On the subject of 90's cars, been watching for Alfa 145's for months now, and then 2 arrived in last couple of days, but this one looks very good
    Passed NCT this week, until May of next year and almost 3 months of tax until the end of June. 89,000 miles
    €995

ZTQzYWExZWFiYzU1YzZjYmQ0YTg3NjczZDE2OTRiMWF-p3h5rwHEYvd7XUPBXzcvaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjIwNDQ2MzB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭rn

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-honda-civic-ncted-03-2020/21510833
    And
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-honda-civic-nct-10-19-taxed-4-19/21400968
    I like these saloon civics. Their futuristic dash has aged well. They are well spec'ed and should benefit from Japanese reliability. No turbos, dual mass flywheel or DPF s to fail.

Second one looks clean, but no milage listed is worrying.

This is the aforementioned Hybrid Civic I picked up yesterday..

32615090387_3f395d9351_c.jpg

Taxed till the end of the month, and only tested till July - but 1 owner (on the book at least) and only 140k kms. It drives well but definitely requires some getting used to. I'm not entirely sure how the whole hybrid malarkey works really but will get used to it.

Travellers up the road have had it since last week, and I've wanted to try either one of these or a Prius for a while now. Took a punt on it at a grand and I'll see how it goes I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

I went to see the x type jag today.

Deal breaker for me was no isofix.

I didn't drive it as I only landed at 3 and they were closing up. They didn't rush me though.

It looked much better in the pics too but it was clean enough on the outside from my brief look.

Taxed till the end of the month, and only tested till July - but 1 owner (on the book at least) and only 140k kms. It drives well but definitely requires some getting used to. I'm not entirely sure how the whole hybrid malarkey works really but will get used to it.

Travellers up the road have had it since last week, and I've wanted to try either one of these or a Prius for a while now. Took a punt on it at a grand and I'll see how it goes I suppose!

At a grand, it's very hard to go wrong there I think!
    Best of luck with it, and report back on the hybrid findings too

Front and rear bumpers let it down a bit. Brother of mine is in crash repair so I might get him to see to them, but I'm not going to spend too much on it just yet. Will give it an oil and filter change this week, and change the atf fluid. It has two very good Pirelli tyres on the front dated 2018, and two not so good Nankangs on the rear that I might get changed in the next few weeks. Other than that, I'll drive on and see how it compared to the Corolla :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The Honda IMA is probably the least intrusive hybrid. There's no electric only mode, just the motor helping out when the engine is running. The regenerative braking is the only thing you'll notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,414 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Front and rear bumpers let it down a bit. Brother of mine is in crash repair so I might get him to see to them, but I'm not going to spend too much on it just yet. Will give it an oil and filter change this week, and change the atf fluid. It has two very good Pirelli tyres on the front dated 2018, and two not so good Nankangs on the rear that I might get changed in the next few weeks. Other than that, I'll drive on and see how it compared to the Corolla :D

If it hasn’t one already, you can add an aux in to these very easily and cheaply.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If it hasn’t one already, you can add an aux in to these very easily and cheaply.

Theres a button for aux but I can't seen a jack anywhere.

I don't know where to be looking for anything though. I feel like a grandparent trying to learn how to Skype.

Also they are very slow. And the regenerative braking is annoying, it buzzes every time the brake is applied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Hybrid for a grand? That's some bargain!

My own Octy.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-skoda-octavia-1-4-petrol-nct-may20/21529401

07 Octavia.
    1.4 Petrol
    280k km
    Full service history
    2 keys
    4 new tyres
    Taxed till 06/19
    NCT till 05/20
    Very good condition

Needs wheel bearing
    Rear wiper motor gone.
    Everything else fine.

TB done at 189k km. Think it will be due again at 289k km?

We've had it since 2007. Wife drove it for 10 years and me for the last 2. Only selling as I'm doing big miles so really need a diesel even though I'm getting 42mpg from it. Will be sad to see it go.

€1200 ono

Will do a good deal for boardsies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭rn

Another bonus on your IMA is that it didn't have those terrible aerodynamic hubcap plates. Those are a nice looking set of Honda alloys.

@cocoman tidy looking Octavia. Glws

• Registered Users Posts: 73,414 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Theres a button for aux but I can't seen a jack anywhere.

I don't know where to be looking for anything though. I feel like a grandparent trying to learn how to Skype.

Also they are very slow. And the regenerative braking is annoying, it buzzes every time the brake is applied

You basically add crimp terminals to a standard aux cable and add them to the steering wheel remote input.

rn wrote: »
    Another bonus on your IMA is that it didn't have those terrible aerodynamic hubcap plates. Those are a nice looking set of Honda alloys.

@cocoman tidy looking Octavia. Glws
    Was actually going to say the same earlier. Every one of them seem to have those awful plate alloys!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Travellers??!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I can't see you holding on to that Duke, the ole gorilla would be as good on juice and they're positively dangerous on anything but town driving they're so slow. A friend had one that he paid stupid money for thinking the fuel savings would help him claw it back, he gave up on it after about 9 months and flogged it on losing a good few squids but he was glad to see the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I can't see you holding on to that Duke, the ole gorilla would be as good on juice and they're positively dangerous on anything but town driving they're so slow. A friend had one that he paid stupid money for thinking the fuel savings would help him claw it back, he gave up on it after about 9 months and flogged it on losing a good few squids but he was glad to see the back of it.

What are you on?

They average around 5.7l / 100km... (https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/18-Honda/958-Civic_Hybrid.html?fueltype=2&powerunit=2)

They do 0-100 in 11.5secs - which is not breaking Nurburgring lap times, but far from being dangerously slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

in fairness, there's only so far wrong you can go for €1k. A one owner Civic Hybrid with tax and test is a bargain for that. I agree, not a rocket, but a fine car.

... no E11 Corolla though, you know it's all downhill from here for that car, which is a bit sad given it's condition at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭CoBo55

grogi wrote: »
    What are you on?

They average around 5.7l / 100km... (https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/18-Honda/958-Civic_Hybrid.html?fueltype=2&powerunit=2)

They do 0-100 in 11.5secs - which is not breaking Nurburgring lap times, but far from being dangerously slow.

Not too far off the Corolla consumption in the real world, the one I know was closer to 7l/100, a lot of main road on that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement