Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'02 Avensis 1.6
    NCT June '19
    Tax Nov '19
    139k miles

It's technically not bangernomics as its only got 2 months test, but because it looks so clean, has a heap of tax and is cheaper than a dodgy suit I figured I'd stick it up.

Asking €300

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-toyota-avenues-1-6-petrol/21503500

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

W123-80's wrote: »
    '02 Avensis 1.6
    NCT June '19
    Tax Nov '19
    139k miles

It's technically not bangernomics as its only got 2 months test, but because it looks so clean, has a heap of tax and is cheaper than a dodgy suit I figured I'd stick it up.

Asking €300

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-toyota-avenues-1-6-petrol/21503500

The tax alone is worth €300, so it's effectively a free car.

Well worth a look so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

Ford engine I'm nearly sure. Injectors give problems in them assuming it is the same engine the mondeo used.
    damn, was looking for an excuse to get it, a good long nct,offset the extra tax, looks clean and appears to have a massive boot, have an 01 octavia and can't fault it, fingers crossed, utterly reliable, very tempted by recent suggestions, the saloon mg zt is nice and an older previous estate version which is still for sale but owner doesn't look like they are shifting on the price, which I think is too high. would like something nicer looking, but its difficult to find something to replace the octavia.

'02 Civic 1.4
    NCT July '19
    84k Miles. Need to tread carefully with that, could be legit I suppose.
    Asking €575

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-nct-tested/21311471

Is there actually any point in posting the likes of this as a bangernomics option any more, considering the difficulties people seem to have insuring anything over 10/15 years old?
    It's not a problem for me as I have driven old cars for over 10 years and I haven't switched insurer in that time, I always pay around €600 no matter what I'm driving.
    From a bangernomics perspective, the tax thing is subjective. Some people choose to pay high tax and it doesn't bother them. But insurance is actually stopping alot, possibly a majority, of people from driving older cars they otherwise would have bought. So with that in mind, is the likes of that Civic worth posting?
    Its technically bangernomics, but only for a minority of people in a position to insure it. It's arguably not practical bangernomics anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

BOSTIK wrote: »
    The tax alone is worth €300, so it's effectively a free car.

Well worth a look so.

I looked at that, considered snapping that up today just to get me back on the road while I look for something better. Rang my insurance company and they won't quote me.

I'm a male approaching mid 40's by the way. They won't insure anything older than 04 for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Not all the insurance companies have a 10 year or 15 year limit in place, so at the end of the day, it ticks all boxes!
    Keep throwing them up here

Also, the high tax of older cars, is why you are getting some absolute gorgeous cars for half nothing, so yeah, they belong in bangernomics too

I looked at that, considered snapping that up today just to get me back on the road while I look for something better. Rang my insurance company and they won't quote me.

I'm a male approaching mid 40's by the way. They won't insure anything older than 04 for me.

I know I can get insurance, but its with existing company, but a quick Google tells me Liberty Insurance take cars up to 20 years old, and there are others also.

Might be worth a shot

In complete contradiction to my earlier post....

'00 Skoda Felicia
    1.3 petrol
    NCT Jan '20
    90k miles
    White Wheels
    White roof

I like it!

Asking €500

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2000-skoda-felicia-new-nct-01-20/20855807

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-x-type-estate-2007-1-owner-new-nct/20924852

NTRiM2ZmNzgxODMyODgwNWI0NzI2YjUzMDdkOTRiZmVddqNoEG9ZS5CfJfipfP5TaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjE4OTM2OTR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

2.2d with seemingly nice spec, test till Feb 2020, warranty, €1500. Tax a bit sore but a lovely yoke still
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-x3-2005/21503875

NmE1ODczY2YxZTFmYjE3YzY1YjdkZTA2YzRmNGI3NmUxO-42zfqhS9HqCDTEoAJEaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjE4OTY3ODR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This is a decent looking yoke for €1200. Diesel, years test and its even taxed till June! Ad and car look very genuine to me

In regards to both of these Diesels, is there an ideal amount of mileage a week one should be doing before considering one, or if the car was brought out on one reasonably long enough drive a week would that be enough ?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Ian OB

In complete contradiction to my earlier post....

'00 Skoda Felicia
    1.3 petrol
    NCT Jan '20
    90k miles
    White Wheels
    White roof

I like it!

Asking €500

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2000-skoda-felicia-new-nct-01-20/20855807

I want it. Now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

marko93 wrote: »
    In regards to both of these Diesels, is there an ideal amount of mileage a week one should be doing before considering one, or if the car was brought out on one reasonably long enough drive a week would that be enough ?

Old school so no dpf so these would be less of a risk for low mileage use but still they would like to be driven as intended.

Old school so no dpf so these would be less of a risk for low mileage use but still they would like to be driven as intended.

Is that in regards to the Jag or both ?

Cheers for the answer btw! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

marko93 wrote: »
    Is that in regards to the Jag or both ?

Cheers for the answer btw! :)

Both.

Obviously for short runs they will never heat up and won't be economical but shouldn't give as much hassle as anything 2008 upwards as fitted with dpf which block especially on short run use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭This is it

What is "short run use"? Is 15km at 80kmph a big enough run for dpf or are you talking 50km+ at 100kmph+, I've googled this before and have not seen any specific time/distances. I'm sure they vary between cars but an approximate would be great to know

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106140079&postcount=6564

Seeing few S40's showing up so feel obliged to report that mine passed another NCT today. Visual retest on low power steering fluid and advisory on pads being close to minimum.

So total spent so far, apart from annual service, was faulty throttle body, wishbone bushes last year, new tires and one ballast this year.

Boot non opening fixed myself so total cost of the above to date was ~300 and 250 for two Falken tires. Will replace the pads all round by the end of the month and that's it.

Pretty good banger I must say :D

Both.

Obviously for short runs they will never heat up and won't be economical but shouldn't give as much hassle as anything 2008 upwards as fitted with dpf which block especially on short run use.

Thanks for the info, to insure the X3 in place of my Corolla will cost in excess of €600 so I'll have to knock the ideas on the head for the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

1874 wrote: »
    damn, was looking for an excuse to get it, a good long nct,offset the extra tax, looks clean and appears to have a massive boot, have an 01 octavia and can't fault it, fingers crossed, utterly reliable, very tempted by recent suggestions, the saloon mg zt is nice and an older previous estate version which is still for sale but owner doesn't look like they are shifting on the price, which I think is too high. would like something nicer looking, but its difficult to find something to replace the octavia.

Injectors give issues but at that price it would be worth the risk imho. They are fixable enough I think.

Disclaimer; per my earlier post, this is my car.

Its getting tested Thursday evening. I fully expect it to pass, so I have taken the liberty of saying tested until May '20.
    Any callers will be made aware of this.

Asking €775
    €600 to anyone quoting this thread!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/00-skoda-octavia-nct-may-20/21486025

Sold to first person who looked at it!
    700 notes. All good. He has a good car and I'm happy with the price.
    Off to cork in the morning to complete my swap!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-lexus-rx300-sport-automatic-nct-03-2020/21512744

NzU1ZWRhMzE0ZjcxYWU0MjIzZTU5NzVjNDZmMDRiODFkMPkcIrFWb-ih9HAW1ZhiaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjE5NzM1NDB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Years test, bit of tax, €1750

Lot of flash for little cash if you can handle the tax.

wonski wrote: »
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106140079&postcount=6564

Seeing few S40's showing up so feel obliged to report that mine passed another NCT today. Visual retest on low power steering fluid and advisory on pads being close to minimum.

So total spent so far, apart from annual service, was faulty throttle body, wishbone bushes last year, new tires and one ballast this year.

Boot non opening fixed myself so total cost of the above to date was ~300 and 250 for two Falken tires. Will replace the pads all round by the end of the month and that's it.

Pretty good banger I must say :D

We bought our 2005 2.0D in Sep 2016 and one of the wheels was buckled, so bought a new alloy.

In 2 and a half years, it got 4 new tyres, a battery, rear brake pads and disc and a rear wheel bearing and for the NCT last year, it needed a CV boot, but otherwise it just keeps on going.

One of the NCT testers here in Mullingar drives one himself, and every year when it comes in, he just hands over the cert and says, ah sure they're a great auld car! :D:D:D

Oh! We also had the boot thing after a few months, and fixed it myself too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Injectors give issues but at that price it would be worth the risk imho. They are fixable enough I think.

Am I right in thinking the injectors on Mondeo diesel TDCI engines of this era need coding to the individual car.

To allow the ECU compensate for variance in injectors I thought I saw somewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

This is it wrote: »
    What is "short run use"? Is 15km at 80kmph a big enough run for dpf or are you talking 50km+ at 100kmph+, I've googled this before and have not seen any specific time/distances. I'm sure they vary between cars but an approximate would be great to know

The closest I've come to a specific guideline on my car 2012 focus 1.6 tdci, is 4th gear, over 60kmh for about 30 mins. Every 2 weeks I do a couple of long runs which cover that anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Mondeo engine in those X types - but I said Mondeo diesel engine as I don't know if the exact injectors are same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

ok, well thats something, I think the tax is putting people off cars like that, not too much more than my own, I just began to wonder if some of that dealers cars were even priced slightly too high, maybe they have incorporated a lot of haggling room? comparing an X3 in that dealers to the one shown for sale here privately recently, there was a large difference and the private one looked better I think. Would like to change up a few years (from 01), not sure what to get, lots of options, went off the volvos after a few mentions of soft gearboxes. I dont know what to get now, so many options. Estate or large boot very much preferable, and cruise control as I already have that and I find it very convenient.

edit, any opinions what that Jag might go for?

Sold to first person who looked at it!
    700 notes. All good. He has a good car and I'm happy with the price.
    Off to cork in the morning to complete my swap!

Fair play, plus hope for me, Im astonished that a car that age will fetch 700, mines a year newer, lower miles and, no offence, cleaner than yours :D. I'll be happy if I can get 700 quid for it. There might be more of a demand down your end of the country or just an appreciation of the Octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

'02 Civic 1.4
    NCT July '19
    Asking €575

Is there actually any point in posting the likes of this as a bangernomics option any more, considering the difficulties people seem to have insuring anything over 10/15 years old?

Keep posting them W123-80's. As you mention many will need to pass them by. I drive a 2009 presently and looking to change over to diesel. Unlikely to go much older as will be doing considerable mileage. Also, starting a new job where I will be meeting Clients on the road so as to speak outside of base camp, where first impressions will be a biggy so will aim to keep the car relatively 'new'. Also tend to change my insurance provider almost every year as I have saved a fortune over the years by doing so. Apart from these reasons I'd drive an older car all day long and there are people like yourself where the year wont make any odds or even looking for a stop gap cheap car for whatever reason where they may be just the ticket.

The motor tax on that Civic is €385 pa, hardly what I'd call expensive. You'd be loosing a lot more in depreciation on something with the "chape" tax. I could be wrong but I would have thought they had a chain as opposed to a belt though?

ok, well thats something, I think the tax is putting people off cars like that, not too much more than my own, I just began to wonder if some of that dealers cars were even priced slightly too high, maybe they have incorporated a lot of haggling room? comparing an X3 in that dealers to the one shown for sale here privately recently, there was a large difference and the private one looked better I think. Would like to change up a few years (from 01), not sure what to get, lots of options, went off the volvos after a few mentions of soft gearboxes. I dont know what to get now, so many options. Estate or large boot very much preferable, and cruise control as I already have that and I find it very convenient.

edit, any opinions what that Jag might go for?

Fair play, plus hope for me, Im astonished that a car that age will fetch 700, mines a year newer, lower miles and, no offence, cleaner than yours :D. I'll be happy if I can get 700 quid for it. There might be more of a demand down your end of the country or just an appreciation of the Octavia.

Cheers!
    Ya, I was happy with the price. I genuinely think it's worth it though. €670 annual tax aside it's basically free motoring. Feck a will break on it!

Didn't realise you had an Octavia! What miles on her? Is it diesel?

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    We bought our 2005 2.0D in Sep 2016 and one of the wheels was buckled, so bought a new alloy.

In 2 and a half years, it got 4 new tyres, a battery, rear brake pads and disc and a rear wheel bearing and for the NCT last year, it needed a CV boot, but otherwise it just keeps on going.

One of the NCT testers here in Mullingar drives one himself, and every year when it comes in, he just hands over the cert and says, ah sure they're a great auld car! :D:D:D

Oh! We also had the boot thing after a few months, and fixed it myself too

Volvos are generally considered as the safest cars so nct certs are pre - printed :)

They just type in the mileage. 312k km here :)

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    We seem to be on a volvo buzz but this has to be worth a punt for someone.

Nzk1ZjhjNzVlYzYzNGYzNWM4OThmYjIzMzA4NzA1NGRupfUMniXcw2oYGcUbVEjIaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjA0MDU0MTN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

A boardsie just posted it up on here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109837760&postcount=449

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-volvo-s40-2-0d-tax-amp-nct/21306152

I'm considering it myself

Just sold it.

Time to get stuck in here, as herself now needs a car again!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭elperello

'02 Civic 1.4
    NCT July '19
    Asking €575

It's not a problem for me as I have driven old cars for over 10 years and I haven't switched insurer in that time, I always pay around €600 no matter what I'm driving.
    From a bangernomics perspective, the tax thing is subjective. Some people choose to pay high tax and it doesn't bother them. But insurance is actually stopping alot, possibly a majority, of people from driving older cars they otherwise would have bought. So with that in mind, is the likes of that Civic worth posting?
    Its technically bangernomics, but only for a minority of people in a position to insure it. It's arguably not practical bangernomics anymore.

I'd say yes they are worth posting for the people who are interested.

Also it reminds us of the good cars that are out there being left up and scrapped because of our "eccentric" insurance companies.

Cars like that Civic are giving good service all over Europe covered in many cases by the same insurance companies who turn up their noses to them here.

• Advertisement

Over 10 years old is not an issue this year.

Can only vouch for 05, with quotes between 500-700 a year. That's with 3 penalty points.

Liberty, 123, AIB had no problem to quote.

They wouldn't last year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement