Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 World Snooker Championship

Options
  • 13-04-2017 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Starts Saturday, 15th April, and finishes on Monday, 1st May. The winner receives £375,000.

1st Round, (best of 19 frames):

Mark Selby (defending champion) v Fergal O'Brien
    Ryan Day v Xiao Guodong
    Neil Robertson v Noppon Saengkham
    Marco Fu v Luca Brecel
    Shaun Murphy v Yan Bingtao (youngest player at 17 years old)
    Ronnie O'Sullivan v Gary Wilson
    Liang Wenbo v Stuart Carrington
    Ding Junhui v Zhou Yuelong
    Stuart Bingham v Peter Ebdon (oldest player at 46 years old)
    Kyren Wilson v David Grace
    Mark Allen v Jimmy Robertson
    John Higgins v Martin Gould
    Barry Hawkins v Tom Ford
    Ali Carter v Graeme Dott
    Anthony McGill v Stephen Maguire
    Judd Trump v Rory McLeod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,826 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Hard to see any game to get excited about in the first round. Hopefully Ferg can pull off an upset

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Going to two first round games on Monday - the matches involving Murphy and Ding, both against young Chinese players. First time at the Crucible after 25 years watching it on TV so really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,826 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Going to two first round games on Monday - the matches involving Murphy and Ding, both against young Chinese players. First time at the Crucible after 25 years watching it on TV so really looking forward to it.

Enjoy. Planning on going next year. Is it difficult to get tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

It's deadly. I went for the first time in 2015. Was just blown away when I walked in. Had front row seats for Selby v McGill and Ding vs Higgins. You could literally touch them when they're taking a shot.
    paulie21 wrote: »

If you're good to buy them the minute they are released you'll get great seats.

I got rows 4, 4 and 5 for my sessions this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭emo72

Putting a small bet on Fergie, if he can beat Selby in the first round, then his confidence will soar, rightly so. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Id say Fergal will be lucky to win 3 Frames.

ebbsy wrote: »
    Id say Fergal will be lucky to win 3 Frames.

He could win zero! I'll mainly be rooting for the Irish guy though. Let me have this little bit of hope before a ball is even hit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Fergal did ok in the UK this year. Plus top seeds start a bit cold over the longer matches. I'd expect 10-6 to Selby.

Must get to the crucible sometime. Sheffield is a nice little city too, see a bit of the peak district while you are at it. Red button all the way from 10am saturday. Love it

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

mdwexford wrote: »
    It's deadly. I went for the first time in 2015. Was just blown away when I walked in. Had front row seats for Selby v McGill and Ding vs Higgins. You could literally touch them when they're taking a shot.

If you're good to buy them the minute they are released you'll get great seats.

I got rows 4, 4 and 5 for my sessions this year.

If one was looking for tickets for next year - maybe semis or final - when do they go on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Holy Diver wrote: »
    If one was looking for tickets for next year - maybe semis or final - when do they go on sale?

Keep your eye on worldsnooker.com, its a poor website but it will have the details on it. Ticket sales for next year will likely open very soon after the last ball is potted in this year's final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Holy Diver wrote: »

They went on sale immediately after the final last year. I got tickets but remember the website was tough to navigate. Plan in advance what sessions you want and stick to it.

Heading over for a few sessions on Thursday and Friday next week. Was there last year for the first time. Really recommend it, it's special!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

We got them a few days after they went on sale last year, we weren't too quick off the mark so we're about 8 rows back. They're easy enough to get as long as you are looking in early May when they go on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Hard to see any game to get excited about in the first round. Hopefully Ferg can pull off an upset

I think the McGill v Maguire is the pick of the first round. Other than that, the all Chinese match might be good.

Tie of R1 for me is Murphy v Yan Bingtao. It's Yan's first visit and he's still just 17 but he is likely to be the best of the emerging Chinese from the bit i've seen of him. Too many of the Chinese lads are hyped to an unreal extent, but I think this one is the genuine article. I doubt he'll have the smarts yet to take Murphy, but it could be a close enough run thing and a good game to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That Rob guy that introduces/announcing the players is some annoying fcker

What station is it on?

BBC2, Eurosport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Will be amazed if fergal actually takes a frame from this match - it's selby against the table really

Fergal hasn't settled in to well. Needs to put a few balls together when he does get a chance. Match is a bit of a grind on both sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Yea, Fergal is struggling, professional snooker seems to look infinitely more difficult the older the players get, not sure if it's the pressure of the event, but I guess Fergal at his best would struggle to match Selby

Hope he settles into it a bit more

• Advertisement

O'Brien really is poor here.

Every shot looks a struggle. Be doing well to win 2-3 frames it seems at the moment.

Difficult to watch this now, coukd with this session ending here. Hope Fergal can avoid the whitewash anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Won the 9th frame thankfully.

Not pretty to watch but at least he's still smiling towards the end there, a relief to avoid the dreaded whitewash at least. Game just wasn't there today, it happens in snooker and never certain how a player will emerge from the pressure of the qualifiers. Hendry a bit dismissive of his tactics, but then Hendry generally frowns on any player who isn't looking to attack every shot, needs to curb that side of his commentary I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

callaway92 wrote: »
    That Rob guy that introduces/announcing the players is some annoying fcker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

I'm not enjoying listening to Taylor again He's worse than I remembered

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I'm not enjoying listening to Taylor again He's worse than I remembered

Where is Clive Everton when ye need him. Ken does nothing for me either.

Pretty scrappy stuff today so far.

Not many frames being won in one visit. One century in 36 frames.

Fergal giving it a go here to make the score more respectable

• Advertisement

Shame, he was beginning to hit his stride there, could easily have taken 1 or 2 more frames. It's not really an excuse but they could really have the qualifiers over and done with a week earlier, even if it means rejigging the calendar. It was fiercely unfortunate to be the last man off the table on Weds night/Thurs morning and be drawn first out on Saturday against the World No.1 and reigning champion.

Advertisement