Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly people.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

anna080 wrote: »
    It's hard when you don't want to offend them but in fairness they don't seem to care who they offend with their crusty vag smell

Now there's a life quote!

I can imagine it appearing in some inspirational booklet of some sort:

"As the great Mahatma Gandhi once said..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

That period smell is rotten along with the humour that goes with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I've worked in drug services , both drop in and low threshold as well as homeless low threshold services mainly with heroin addicts and have friends who are former addicts and I've never heard of addicts avoiding showers or saying that hot water reminds them of hot needles.

If anything addicts in structured accommodation are no different hygiene wise than anyone else showering and bathing regularly.

Well, I speak as a recovering heroin addict who is many years clean and I recall vividly what hot water felt like when in withdrawal. Lots of my friends, also in recovery have said same. Hot pin pricks is more accurate than needles. Hot water or showering is not really something we talk about when in the midst of addiction. It's all about the gear. Take care.

Edit to add: My experience of structured accommodation, aka homeless hostels, is 6 (mainly addicts) in a room with one bathroom and a shower that has no shower head. Had anyone wanted to it would have been next to impossible to get a shower given your only allowed in late at night and kicked out early in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Laeot

myshirt wrote: »
    The worst one is working with a larger lady with that morning fanny smell. Presumably it sustains because of chafing, but with a culture that encourages larger ladies to love themselves whatever they look like, it's harder and harder to broach the issue without being put in the fat shaming bracket.

Surely you are not suggesting that her 'curves' smell ??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

just leave this here: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/08/shower-once-a-week-polluting-environment

TBH I think clothes will get smelly much quicker than the person in them (assuming they don't have some medical problem). A dirty person in clean clothes might be noticeable close up, but a clean person in smelly clothes will be noticeable from across the room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I was giving someone a lift a while back, and shortly after they got into the car, there was this vile smell.

Smell of death and vomit. "Da**** is that?" says I. "Ah, the smell of INSERTTOWNNAMEHERE" says the Mrs.

I find out later that the person we were giving a lift to had a ****ed liver, and was awaiting transplant. Apparently, it can cause smells, and the person is unaware of the extent of the smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Winterlong wrote: »
    There was a lad who worked with us a long time ago. He used to wear black leather slip on shoes with no socks. The bang of him would wake the dead.

Also, people who wear the same running shoes all the time, day after day; Without socks they're downright deadly, but even with socks things can get horrifying. Met more than one fella in work over the years whose shoes/feet you'd smell from meters away - and without them removing the shoes!
    razorblunt wrote: »
    Thanks for answering a question I always wondered about, "how do hairdressers deal with manky folk?" I'm disgusted with them though, I'd probably offer a free hairwash, no way would I touch their hair!!

I find the whole idea of a "dry cut" insane, to be honest; In many southern EU countries barbers/hairdressers will give you a shampoo by default, "just in case". I get paranoid myself, whenever I go to the barber here, either ask them specifically for a wash or quite literally take a shower just before stepping out.

As for generally stinky people, the sad and horrid reality is that many just have no idea whatsoever; I said many times - working in IT, I've met an insane amount of people with little to no concept of "hygiene"; It has usually been the younger, dorky uber-nerd types who'd wear the same printed T-Shirt for a week (or two!) and talk about fantasy novels as if they were a fact of life (of course there have been exceptions).

Years ago, one such "neckbeard-stroking-two-weeks-worn-tshirt" folks I worked with was sent, along with another colleague, to an off-site office of the company for a week to assist installing and configuring a new server; That specific office was mostly customer service and had an exponentially higher representation of women in the personnel than in our own strictly technical office (we had exactly 1 woman out of 25 people).

Well when they came back, he kept cracking "hilarious" jokes about the other guy - and how he'd be "wasting time" showering in the morning and wearing a clean shirt every day "to impress the girls". Go feckin' figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Hate when you stay over in a friend's/relative's house and they have clearly not changed the pillow case. The bang of sweat off it is unreal. This has happened to me on several occasions and I have to cover the pillow with a t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

smelly people tend not to know they are smelly.

This is the problem.

Olfactory fatigue.

After a while, people just can't smell the stench any more.

Smelly people know that their hygiene is bad but they don't get the stench themselves and they have no idea that they are inflicting it on others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Aglomerado wrote: »
    "Atomised Arse Dust" :D:D:D:D:D

What a great phrase! I can't stop laughing :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Hate when you stay over in a friend's/relative's house and they have clearly not changed the pillow case. The bang of sweat off it is unreal. This has happened to me on several occasions and I have to cover the pillow with a t-shirt.

I've never got the smell of sweat off a pillowcase in my life!!

pilly wrote: »
    I've never got the smell of sweat off a pillowcase in my life!!

You have luckily been spared that experience! It's like the pillowcase hasn't been changed in weeks and has accumulated a dried-in night sweats stench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

La.de.da wrote: »
    Hence I wash everything on 60° wash. If it's not hot water,it's not clean...imo

90:D...everything on 90.I have cats and dogs...

I've worked in drug services , both drop in and low threshold as well as homeless low threshold services mainly with heroin addicts and have friends who are former addicts and I've never heard of addicts avoiding showers or saying that hot water reminds them of hot needles.

If anything addicts in structured accommodation are no different hygiene wise than anyone else showering and bathing regularly.

it wasn't a structured accommodation. Tust me this guy avoided showers like the pest.I can still remember the smell 25 years later...>wurks<

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Also, people who wear the same running shoes all the time, day after day; Without socks they're downright deadly, but even with socks things can get horrifying. Met more than one fella in work over the years whose shoes/feet you'd smell from meters away - and without them removing the shoes!

Luckily I can't recall ever getting a pong of smelly feet! I agree on the trainers though, Nike, in particular tend to rot and get what I can only describe as a cat píss like smell from them.

Gym gear too tends to get pongy very quickly, especially the "dry-wick" stuff by Nike and Adidas. You'll know when they're on the way out though, but some people battle on through them.

Luckily I can't recall ever getting a pong of smelly feet! I agree on the trainers though, Nike, in particular tend to rot and get what I can only describe as a cat píss like smell from them.

Oh I had a pair of those a long time back.They got wet in the rain but I still had a 5 mile run ahead.When i came home took them off and left them to dry in the adjourning room.When i walked in the next morning I walked out backwards it was so bad...off into the bin they went...horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Oh I had a pair of those a long time back.They got wet in the rain but I still had a 5 mile run ahead.When i came home took them off and left them to dry in the adjourning room.When i walked in the next morning I walked out backwards it was so bad...off into the bin they went...horrible.

Smell memories are killing me here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Gym gear too tends to get pongy very quickly, especially the "dry-wick" stuff by Nike and Adidas. You'll know when they're on the way out though, but some people battle on through them.

Oh my, what you reminded me about - the gym people who reuse the same "kit" 2-3 times without washing it! There's always one guy like that (tends to be a guy in my experience).

And there's no "maybe he has some condition" theory here, I recognize that smell very well - I had a couple of situations where coming back from the gym, I forgot the gym bag in the car trunk overnight. When you take that bag to the washing machine and open it, that's the very same smell :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I was behind a man in Aldi one day (it was a Friday, packed with pensioners, nothing wrong with pensioners but they don't seem to have the same sheer determination that I have to get the eff out of that shop as quickly as possible)
    Anyway he did a big dirty breathy yawn and I walked straight into it. Fcuking vile. I staggered slightly with the impact.

heldel00 wrote: »
    I was behind a man in Aldi one day (it was a Friday, packed with pensioners, nothing wrong with pensioners but they don't seem to have the same sheer determination that I have to get the eff out of that shop as quickly as possible)
    Anyway he did a big dirty breathy yawn and I walked straight into it. Fcuking vile. I staggered slightly with the impact.

Oh I HATE shopping on a Friday. Avoid it like the pest.nothing against pensioners but the older they get the more you have the smell of leaked pi*** coming of their backsides it's repulsive. eeeeeeeeeeeeeek

• Advertisement

heldel00 wrote: »

Death breath. Can understand that term better when you've been momentarily paralysed by someone's extremely bad breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's the weirdest thing, I had asics and brooks and they never had that smell but Nike would get it sometimes if you were walking through grass and they got damp! I worked in a sports store as a teen and the amount of trainers that would be brought back (in a lame attempt to get comped a free pair) that would have this smell was shocking.
    H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Oh my, what you reminded me about - the gym people who reuse the same "kit" 2-3 times without washing it! There's always one guy like that (tends to be a guy in my experience).

And there's no "maybe he has some condition" theory here, I recognize that smell very well - I had a couple of situations where coming back from the gym, I forgot the gym bag in the car trunk overnight. When you take that bag to the washing machine and open it, that's the very same smell :eek::eek::eek:

I've noticed it's almost always GAA gear, no comment on the GAA folk themselves but the older jerseys weren't breathable. You're right it's a very distinctive smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

armaghlad wrote: »
    I ran a marathon and I didn't smell of bo after. I know other people who would reek straight away after breaking into a small sweat. People vary. Diet and other factors come in to play. Some people though just have plain bad hygiene.

Just because you can't smell it doesn't mean others can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

My story:

I was at a conference in Google a few months ago and this fat guy in front of me smelled awful, I have never smelled anything like it.

I honestly can not describe how bad this smell was, but I guess the best way to describe it would be a mix of rotten meat and cheese

Luckily I was behind him because the poor guys sitting beside him looked like they were gonna puke

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

A neighbour of my parents (we'll call him the Notorious B.O.B--"Bang of Benji") is reknown for the smell that accompanies him.

This man, probably late fifties, has been wearing the same anorak since I was a CHILD (I am in my late twenties), and the same jeans and an oul jumper that occasionally gets replaced with a different jumper.

Well, the Notorious B.O.B is STINKING.
    He could walk into a bar and you could be sitting right down the very back and you would smell him before you saw him and you might think "Ah you're exaggerating a bit there".
    I'm not.

I had first-hand experience of him and his body odour recently while I was attending the phlebotomy clinic in the local hospital.
    I was sitting in the waiting area which is open plan with seats opposite a window area.

I got this VILE smell; a combination of pi**, dirty damp clothes that have never been washed, and just general DIRT.

I looked around thinking "What the hell?" assuming it must be bin day outside or perhaps they've excavated the drains.
    NO.

It was the Notorious B.O.B and he had arrived at the same waiting area as me, but he was about 700 yards away from me.
    I couldn't be sure at first if it was him. After all, he was a fair way from me.

But when he walked past me, ACTUALLY BESIDE ME, I nearly emptied my stomach. It was him.
    I have never smelt anything so bad in my life.

I know a woman who I am 100% sure has a rotten tooth.
    Bear with me.

About a year ago, I realised I had a horrible taste in my mouth and I was very self conscious of my breath.
    I would brush my teeth every morning but minutes after, I'd have what I can only describe as breath that smelled of shi**.

I was so embarrassed but I didn't have any obvious teeth issues.
    Anyway, a trip to my dentist confirmed inside one of my teeth was decaying so he cleaned it out and Christ on crutches, I could smell it!

It was like the smell of the bad breath I'd been having but x100.
    Anyway I got it sorted and it's gone now but I know a woman who has the same pungent breath that I had and I'm pretty sure it's the same problem but I'd never say anything to her.
    It's horrific.

My story:

I was at a conference in Google a few months ago and this fat guy in front of me smelled awful, I have never smelled anything like it.

I honestly can not describe how bad this smell was, but I guess the best way to describe it would be a mix of rotten meat and cheese

Luckily I was behind him because the poor guys sitting beside him looked like they were gonna puke

Anyone I have encountered who has smelled like cheese is always overweight. Must be lack of washing themselves and the cheese builds up between rolls of fat. I've heard of boob cheese building up under heavy unwashed boobs!

Advertisement