Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly people.

Options
  • 12-04-2017 6:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

Do you ever comment on another persons personal hygiene?

I would be terrified in case I upset them.

Still though my beliefs have been tested in the last while, I have been dealing with smelly people in both work and social situations.

D'you that stale sweat, stinky clothes, multiple days without showering must.

Very unpleasant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

There have been two people that the issue has arisen for. One was a contractor from a very big national company who not only didn't seem to wash, but didn't seem to ever brush his teeth either. It wouldn't have been so bad except for the fact that we were in comms rooms with him. Enclosed spaces + smelly person with horrific breath = puke city.

After a few days my manager got onto his boss about it :o

The other was a cleaner that came into our office every evening to change the bins and I used to leave the office until he was gone it was so bad. I never said anything and now we've another guy who's clean and sound!

I don't understand how people can't smell themselves. It's rotten. If I don't put deodrant on after my shower I'm completely paranoid til I get to a shop to buy some. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I had to deal with it once, supervising a group and one lad had a serious bo problem.
    We worked in a bit environment and in teams of two/three. The other lads approached me to deal with it.

It wasn't a nice conversation to have but the lad was shocked and terribly embarrassed. He apologised to them over lunch the next day and showered ever morning after.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Couple of old timers I used to work with. Wasn't B.O it was cigarette smoke - they were your typical chain smoking auld fellas and by jaysus the smell was revolting. Luckily I only had to deal with them for maybe an hour or so out of a week, I never said anything because what would have been the point, but it was seriously unpleasant.

The smelly will maintain that showering and changing underwear every 3 days is perfectly fine and there's something wrong with you.

Little point voicing the issue IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭PopTarts

I think I'd appreciate being told if I had bad breath. It's often not because someone hasn't brushed their teeth and might be just a trip to the dentist the individual needs.

Some people would probably get offended but I think others would appreciate it.

Even being sweaty, I'd be embarrassed if people were saying it behind my back or if there was a smell from me that I wasn't aware of.

It's not always because people aren't washing themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

PopTarts wrote: »
    I think I'd appreciate being told if I had bad breath. It's often not because someone hasn't brushed their teeth and might be just a trip to the dentist the individual needs.

Some people would probably get offended but I think others would appreciate it.

Even being sweaty, I'd be embarrassed if people were saying it behind my back or if there was a smell from me that I wasn't aware of.

It's not always because people aren't washing themselves.

There's a very distinct smell from people who just dont wash themselves or their clothes. It's not sweat. Nothing wrong with smelling sweaty. Kind of a turn on if a hot man has a clean sweat smell if I'm completely honest.

That hum though. That's hygiene.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I don't understand how people can't smell themselves. It's rotten. If I don't put deodrant on after my shower I'm completely paranoid til I get to a shop to buy some. Ugh.

The intensity of a scent, however permanent, will reduce over time as your nose adjusts and it will fade into the background and become unnoticed, this will happen quicker if a new smell comes along to "distract" your nose.

I'm not condoning it but it is very possible that they genuinely aren't aware of just how bad their musk might be to others - usually telling them is the best option (or have their boss tell them if it's a workplace situation)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

The worst one is working with a larger lady with that morning fanny smell. Presumably it sustains because of chafing, but with a culture that encourages larger ladies to love themselves whatever they look like, it's harder and harder to broach the issue without being put in the fat shaming bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This is going to descend into 'how often do you shower and change your underwear thread' isn't it where people will be horrified if you only shower daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

There's a girl I work with who sometimes I get a bad smell from when I walk into her office. It smells like...well, poo. The ladies toilet is near her desk so at first I thought it was coming from there, but it definitely comes from her. She's a really well-turned out girl, always very preened and well-dressed so it was surprising that she could smell bad. I looked it up (on my work computer - "why do people smell like poo" :pac:) and it turns out it could be to do with IBS or some other bowel issues. Or it could also be bad hygiene but I doubt that's the case with her.

I feel bad for people who have issues where they smell bad through some illness or disorder, it must be awful to live with. Bad personal hygiene though? No excuse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I used to work with a guy who had a wang of BO off him. Unfortunately, for him, his name happened to be Gene; so anytime someone walked past him they'd wave and say "Hi Gene".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

murpho999 wrote: »
    This is going to descend into 'how often do you shower and change your underwear thread' isn't it where people will be horrified if you only shower daily.

Nah, this is the 'wait - is that poster talking about me???' thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

There was a lad who worked with us a long time ago. He used to wear black leather slip on shoes with no socks. The bang of him would wake the dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I remember years ago an old woman would come in to have her deposit book updated. She was sound out but I'd hate to see her coming and if I saw her in the queue I would pray she'd end up at another counter.
    The smell of piss and cats off her used to make me wretch. I had to stand as far back as possible from the counter and try to keep my mouth closed to try to stop myself from breathing in the stench.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Game Face MCGee

smelly people tend not to know they are smelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I'm a men's hairdresser, holy fcuk the smell of some people, but worse is knowing that they wee, don't wash their hands and rub their head, for months, then I have to cut it, ' would you like it washed?'. 'ah jaysus, no, I'll wash it a'tome ... ' it'd be thick with old grease sweat muck piss and God knows what else, sometimes I'd have to spray perfume on my finger and rub it just under my nose and remind myself that I can scrub my hands after.
    And that old wee, cats smell. Ugh. Its take ages to get the smell out of the place.
    The morbidly obese smell is disgusting too. Even when they've washed you can still get the hum of stinking flesh, like athletes foot..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

The shower isn't working in my house OP god move away if you don't wanna smell my manly musk.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MadamRazz

I worked with a very hairy fella who used to believe that his natural manly scent made him attractive to women. He showered once a week, and wore each piece of clothing 10 times before washing it. This is all stuff he told people. I used to sit behind him and on more than one occasion he would be farting away happily, clearly needing to have a poo but being too lazy to go, so yes I would very discreetly go and ask him to go to the toilet. He would apologies, potter off to the toilet, come back and give me a big thumbs up and that would be it for the rest of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

PopTarts wrote: »
    It's often not because someone hasn't brushed their teeth and might be just a trip to the dentist the individual needs.

This. Bad Breath is usually caused by Gingivitis or Periodontitis and can be difficult to treat if it's at an advanced stage. Having suffered it for a long time (without realising it was a treatable problem) I was very paranoid about the fact my breath stank (I used to brush my teeth up to 10 times per day) and got treatment for it. Even though nobody told me it stank, I knew it did.

Corsodyl mouthwash twice a day for a month and inter dental brushes is the initial treatment. The inter dental brushes are daily exercise - better than flossing. Unfortunately your breath can stink during the treatment but it works providing it hasn't yet advanced to Periodontitis. If it gets to this stage the only thing you can do is get extractions.

After treatment you are required to maintain a strict routine for good oral hygiene. It is very expensive - root planing every quarter plus mouthwash and inter dental brushes a few times per day (after every meal preferably). Root planing is dear, it hurts like hell but it's worth it for the confidence you gain (believe me knowing your breath stinks and nothing can be done is a huge blow to your self esteem) from knowing your oral hygiene is top notch and your breath won't cause a flower to wilt if you breathe on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I just

woman-sprays-deodorant-under-mans-arm-on-public-.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I had to help on a project at work.
    One of the Design Techs didn't wash.
    She worked in a small machine shop and even when she wasn't around, the smell was still present in the room.
    I used email a lot on that project.

We were developing a new IT system and this was contracted out to a team from a certain hot country. Not only did washing seem to be a monthly thing I used to dread one to one meetings with members of the team as all seemed to think nothing of belching in my face a number of times each meeting. I complained to my boss and all he could really do was shrug and look embarrassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I think some people just luck out with their skin bacteria. Some of us are smellier than others no matter how often we wash.
    By some of us, I mean of course mean some of you. I could roll in dog shít and get up smelling like jean paul gaultier:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Jackets are one thing that can smell really stale and rank, particularly if the collar always rubs against the person's hair. I'd say a lot of jackets don't get cleaned/aired enough.

Smokers will have that smoke smell added to it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

There's no need for poor personal hygiene in this day and age. It's one thing I find beyond baffling - why some people have such a fear of washing themselves?
    To answer the OP, I'd be uncomfortable addressing it with a stranger but have accidently addressed it with somebody in the past.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Nothing is worse than the smell off a heavy smoker who doesn't wash or change their clothes very often :(

I was stuck behind an older man in Aldi in the queue the other day, I actually couldn't stand it. His jacket looked like it had never been washed, it had a very shiny quality, but it wasn't supposed to be shiny at all :o just layers and layers of neglect. I was weak.

I feel very sorry for people like that, maybe he has mental health issues, but it really is very uncomfortable to be stuck in close proximity to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

A girl I went to secondary school with reeked. I've never smelled anything like it since. It was a funky smell like a mixture between the worst smelling cheese and bins. Every time she walked near my desk I had to hold my breath. She was a rather large girl so I think the stench was embedded in her rolls. Worse than any other BO I have ever smelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

I lived with an H- addict (boyfriend of a room mate - didn't know he was on H at the time) for a few month in my younger years. he never showered or brushed his teeth.apparently water feels really bad to people on H. dear god the rank smell in that room and left hanging in the kitchen...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

A girl I went to secondary school with reeked. I've never smelled anything like it since. It was a funky smell like a mixture between the worst smelling cheese and bins. Every time she walked near my desk I had to hold my breath. She was a rather large girl so I think the stench was embedded in her rolls. Worse than any other BO I have ever smelled.

There were two sisters in my secondary school from a disadvantaged family. They had no problem bullying people but they both reeked of piss, their uniforms were very rarely washed...undermined them somewhat.

I later worked with a woman who stank of piss, 25 years old. She used to try and cover it up with perfume, which never works, it makes it ten times worse.

Sometimes there are medical conditions which mean that people don't have perfect control over their bodily functions... eg spina bifida. I'd never make fun of them, and have corrected people who said "so and so (guy with SB) smells of wee".

More recently I worked with a man who would come in wearing suit, shirt and tie to work. Very pompous older man. The shirt would not be changed for 3 weeks and due to his large size he sweated a lot, so the smell was horrendous come Friday. Sometimes he would sit back in his chair with his arms behind his head and you could see how the sweat had rotted holes in the armpits of the shirt.

Now I only have to put up with smokers and people who wear six inches of smelly makeup. Which is almost as bad, but thankfully they are part timers!

• Advertisement

I lived with an H- addict (boyfriend of a room mate - didn't know he was on H at the time) for a few month in my younger years. he never showered or brushed his teeth.apparently water feels really bad to people on H. dear god the rank smell in that room and left hanging in the kitchen...

Only when they're sick from withdrawal. Feels like hot needles pricking them. Once they've got H into them into them it's fine.

Advertisement