Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly people.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Only when they're sick from withdrawal. Feels like hot needles pricking them. Once they've got H into them into them it's fine.

Didn't know that.Than it was just a personal choice.I was so happy to leave that place...>yuk<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I'd have no sympathy for anyone who is fit and healthy, no mental health issues, etc and who has no excuse not to maintain personal hygiene.

I would have sympathy for someone who might be going through a difficult time such as depression, and personal hygiene is not high on their agenda. I think we should be sensitive to this latter group. Poor hygiene might be the symptom of more serious problems, mental or physical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

Six months in work I've been asking my manager to have a chat with a lad on our team that stinks to no avail. She keeps putting it off, makes excuses about having to ask HR for advice etc. And I can guarantee he'll wear the same shirt that he's wore on Monday and Tuesday when he comes in to the office later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

To answer the OP, I'd be uncomfortable addressing it with a stranger but have accidently addressed it with somebody in the past.

How did you accidentally address it? Did they overhear you or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The smell of damp clothes is the worst. Like if someone got wet on way to work, sat in the same clothes all day and wore the same trousers over next few days. Its nauseating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I used to work in a bar with a guy who stunk beyond belief. Like ten day old dried in musty sweat. Ugh. He was the cocktail maker and now I can't even as much as look at a mojito without wanting to gag I swear I can smell sweat from them.
    Bars are an awful place to work with stink people. They are so cramped and there's a lot of ducking and diving under armpit areas. I got great at holding my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

howiya wrote: »
    Six months in work I've been asking my manager to have a chat with a lad on our team that stinks to no avail. She keeps putting it off, makes excuses about having to ask HR for advice etc. And I can guarantee he'll wear the same shirt that he's wore on Monday and Tuesday when he comes in to the office later

Keep us posted. :)

Personally, if it was me and after a few months I was getting nowhere through the HR approach, I'd leave a friendly "anonymous" note on his desk outlining the benefits of good hygiene.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

cbyrd wrote: »
    I'm a men's hairdresser, holy fcuk the smell of some people, but worse is knowing that they wee, don't wash their hands and rub their head, for months, then I have to cut it, ' would you like it washed?'. 'ah jaysus, no, I'll wash it a'tome ... ' it'd be thick with old grease sweat muck piss and God knows what else, sometimes I'd have to spray perfume on my finger and rub it just under my nose and remind myself that I can scrub my hands after.
    And that old wee, cats smell. Ugh. Its take ages to get the smell out of the place.
    The morbidly obese smell is disgusting too. Even when they've washed you can still get the hum of stinking flesh, like athletes foot..

Thanks for answering a question I always wondered about, "how do hairdressers deal with manky folk?" I'm disgusted with them though, I'd probably offer a free hairwash, no way would I touch their hair!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

osarusan wrote: »
    Jackets are one thing that can smell really stale and rank, particularly if the collar always rubs against the person's hair. I'd say a lot of jackets don't get cleaned/aired enough.

Smokers will have that smoke smell added to it too.

As a smoker I never wear a jacket when going for a smoke because I know how the smell can stick.

Also wear clean clothes every day and wash my hair because it can get into your hair as well.

**** addiction I know but it's my only one left!

Bear in mind too that smokers can't smell as well as non-smokers.

I'd have no problem with someone saying it to me if there was a smell of smoke off my clothes or something because I'm paranoid about it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    The smell of damp clothes is the worst. Like if someone got wet on way to work, sat in the same clothes all day and wore the same trousers over next few days. Its nauseating.

It's also off people living in accommodation with no proper ventilation, outside space or a clothes dryer, so they have to resort to leaving wet, washed clothes all over the place on radiators, clothes horses, the backs of chairs, picking up odours from cooking, smoking, and general smells that occur in a human living space.

Then there are people with smelly feet. Jesus christ, own more than one pair of shoes will you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

There's one manky bint where I work, she mush hold her smokes in that fashion where you cup them inside your palm/fist and the smoke drifts up your sleeves.

She also uses that absolutely rank "older woman" perfume whatever it's called, in an attempt to cover up the tobacco smoke smell.

Disgusting individual.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm just place-marking for a particular poster to show up. 94251e84723b1a909585f0a915a1cf07_publicsafety-47-posted-04-big-bag-of-popcorn-meme_670-1023.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Once in Ballinasloe I stopped in a petrol station (Esso I think, up the road from Topaz after coming off the M6) to pump tyres and get a funnel. When I walked into the shop, I could get a warm mouldy odour... Then it hit me fully. The young lad behind the counter was wearing a jersey under his uniform. You could smell the chap from a fair distance; the smell up close was eye watering. When I looked around I noticed everyone else was with the other shop attendant and I was the only gombeen dealing with this chap, who seemed proud of his stink. I had to think fast and try not to let him raise his arms, paid and ran away

The worst one ever was on a Dublin bus around 2007, where a tramp was sitting on the upper deck and his odour of rot had cleared the entire floor of passengers, despite all the windows being open, which then descended onto the lower deck. It was very pungent and even several minutes of fresh air was required to get that smell out of your lungs (lets not mention clothes). Someone else has to remember this, he seemed to be a regular on the 123!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Have come across a few over time alright.

- One lad in college, we had to complain to the course head, they tried a general announcement first but eventually needed a 1:1 with him

- I worked in a store and there was once customer who was known to have an absolute hum of BO about him. He would stink up whole areas. Without being "in the know" on such things, I think he may have had some mental health issues. He would only ever pay in notes, never take receipts, as in, full on refused the receipt. Bring the bag to his car and then come back in to continue his shopping. It was mostly underwear and short sleeve shirts. He once ordered 28 pairs of Calvin Klein briefs, we ordered them in for him but he never came back for them. When he did show up we asked him about it and he alleged he had no recollection

- I've encountered it a few times in work now and each time a quiet word with the person's manager has sorted it out. Had to work in France for a while with an independent contractor and I'd have to tell him to put his hands down when he'd sit leaned back with his hands behind his back. Got past the breaking point on that one

razorblunt wrote: »
    Have come across a few over time alright.

- One lad in college, we had to complain to the course head, they tried a general announcement first but eventually needed a 1:1 with him

- I worked in a store and there was once customer who was known to have an absolute hum of BO about him. He would stink up whole areas. Without being "in the know" on such things, I think he may have had some mental health issues. He would only ever pay in notes, never take receipts, as in, full on refused the receipt. Bring the bag to his car and then come back in to continue his shopping. It was mostly underwear and short sleeve shirts. He once ordered 28 pairs of Calvin Klein briefs, we ordered them in for him but he never came back for them. When he did show up we asked him about it and he alleged he had no recollection

- I've encountered it a few times in work now and each time a quiet word with the person's manager has sorted it out. Had to work in France for a while with an independent contractor and I'd have to tell him to put his hands down when he'd sit leaned back with his hands behind his back. Got past the breaking point on that one

Oh god, you just reminded of a college mate I had from France (female). She wore sleepless dresses in summer and saw no problem with a load of hair under her armpits that stunk!!

We were quite close so I did mention to her that it was normal to shave under your arms here but she couldn't care less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

pilly wrote: »
    Oh god, you just reminded of a college mate I had from France (female). She wore sleepless dresses in summer and saw no problem with a load of hair under her armpits that stunk!!

We were quite close so I did mention to her that it was normal to shave under your arms here but she couldn't care less.

Ewwww, nowt worse than a woman with hairy armpits. Feminists be damned.

I think it's normal in France?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Meh. I've no issue with a woman not wanting to shave. I hate any amount of hair on my body. I'm almost entirely smooth from my eyelashes down but don't expect other women to do the same.

It's entirely possible to be clean and hairy - as most men can demonstrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I think it's normal in France?

I've only ever been to Paris but can't say I noticed it. It's nothing to do with attraction for me as I'm a gay man but IMO hairy armpits on women just don't look right. But hey, 21st century problems right?

Further edit: I'm a very hairy bloke and can keep myself clean so agree with posts under mine (except those agreeing with hairy female armpits).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Yera so long as they shower every day it doesn't bother me (on other people, I shave my pits daily :P). I've recently been in a car with a girl who shaves none of her body hair and it was fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

As a smoker I never wear a jacket when going for a smoke because I know how the smell can stick.

Also wear clean clothes every day and wash my hair because it can get into your hair as well.

**** addiction I know but it's my only one left!

Bear in mind too that smokers can't smell as well as non-smokers.

I'd have no problem with someone saying it to me if there was a smell of smoke off my clothes or something because I'm paranoid about it anyway.

Out of curiousity, as a non smoker, why is that that some smokers smell a lot worse than others? Some people you wouldn't notice that they smoke (even though you know they do) and then others are rotten

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Meh. I've no issue with a woman not wanting to shave. I hate any amount of hair on my body. I'm almost entirely smooth from my eyelashes down but don't expect other women to do the same.

+1, I had a very hairy boyfriend a few years ago. He always smelled lovely! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I've a feeling I've relayed this story in the past, buy anyway - back in secondary school, there was this guy who staaaank. Like week old BO but with a spicy, peppery insidiousness to it.

It's a bit of a two parter. First instance, a friend was enjoying a lollipop in class one day. Took it out of his mouth for a minute, and yer man walks past. Puts it back into his mouth - and it tastes of the smell of him. Think he was close to puking.

Second - doing karate with the guy. I get picked randomly to help demonstrate some throw or grapple, which of course leaves my hand in his armpit for about 10 seconds. I swear to god I washed it for 20 minutes when I got home, and could still smell it the next day.

howiya wrote: »
    Out of curiousity, as a non smoker, why is that that some smokers smell a lot worse than others? Some people you wouldn't notice that they smoke (even though you know they do) and then others are rotten

For the reasons that I've mentioned. If as a smoker you wear the same clothes 2 days in a row they're going to smell of smoke. If you wear your coat when smoking the same.

Same applies to the hair, it holds the smell so needs to be washed every day.

Also depends on how heavy people smoke.

I also change into pj's or casual clothes when I'm staying in so as not to stink clothes up even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

How did you accidentally address it? Did they overhear you or something?

There was 5 of us in the room. 7 of us total in the class. 1 girl smelled so bad, we could smell her from downstairs, we knew if she was upstairs. We studied beauty therapy so every day we'd have to strip down to our underwear for one reason or another. So, it became quite apparent early on in the course she wore the same bra all the time, the same socks and quite regularly the same knickers, though it was probably the item of clothing most frequently changed. We all knew when she had her period because we could smell her.
    She smoked like a chimney too.

Early on in the course we complained to our tutor. It wasn't fair as we had to work on each other, sometimes intimately, and it wasn't fair on having to work on her. The tutor spoke to her many times, which led her to use more deodorant trying to mask the horrific smell but still not washing herself or her clothes.
    The college director called her out of class many times to address it too but nothing changed. The 6 of us knew it was her and we would organise our pairings for the day ahead outside before we went into college, and then if one of the girls was out, that meant the girl on her own had to work with Smelly.

Of course we discussed her, we all knew how dirty she was, we knew when she had her period, we'd be praying she had at least changed her knickers today if you knew going into class you were going to be partnered with her.

So this day - let's call her Carol (smelly) - is sitting in the corner and one of the other girls (let's call her kate) was drowning herself in deodorant before the tutor came back into class. We were always joking around, late would be one of my closest friends and I said something like "you'd think you'd go home and wash yourself instead of bathing in deodorant." She gave me a smart answer back and I said "face it Carol, you really need a shower". As soon as it was out of my mouth I knew I'd ****ed up. The other girls were staring at me with looks of disbelief, horror and shock. Carol pretended she didn't hear it. I felt awful, like I'm pretty bitchy but even that's a step too far for me.

I took myself off to rat myself out to the director, if that wasn't bullying I don't know what is. I explained to her what I said, I was joking with Kate but carols name came out instead, I know she heard but I'm really sorry. Expecting a serious bollocking. She shrugged and said "I think she needs to hear it from her peers. We have spoken to her already and she doesn't take it on board".

She didn't take what I said on board either, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

There was 5 of us in the room. 7 of us total in the class. 1 girl smelled so bad, we could smell her from downstairs, we knew if she was upstairs. We studied beauty therapy so every day we'd have to strip down to our underwear for one reason or another. So, it became quite apparent early on in the course she wore the same bra all the time, the same socks and quite regularly the same knickers, though it was probably the item of clothing most frequently changed. We all knew when she had her period because we could smell her.
    She smoked like a chimney too.

Early on in the course we complained to our tutor. It wasn't fair as we had to work on each other, sometimes intimately, and it wasn't fair on having to work on her. The tutor spoke to her many times, which led her to use more deodorant trying to mask the horrific smell but still not washing herself or her clothes.
    The college director called her out of class many times to address it too but nothing changed. The 6 of us knew it was her and we would organise our pairings for the day ahead outside before we went into college, and then if one of the girls was out, that meant the girl on her own had to work with Smelly.

Of course we discussed her, we all knew how dirty she was, we knew when she had her period, we'd be praying she had at least changed her knickers today if you knew going into class you were going to be partnered with her.

So this day - let's call her Carol (smelly) - is sitting in the corner and one of the other girls (let's call her kate) was drowning herself in deodorant before the tutor came back into class. We were always joking around, late would be one of my closest friends and I said something like "you'd think you'd go home and wash yourself instead of bathing in deodorant." She gave me a smart answer back and I said "face it Carol, you really need a shower". As soon as it was out of my mouth I knew I'd ****ed up. The other girls were staring at me with looks of disbelief, horror and shock. Carol pretended she didn't hear it. I felt awful, like I'm pretty bitchy but even that's a step too far for me.

I took myself off to rat myself out to the director, if that wasn't bullying I don't know what is. I explained to her what I said, I was joking with Kate but carols name came out instead, I know she heard but I'm really sorry. Expecting a serious bollocking. She shrugged and said "I think she needs to hear it from her peers. We have spoken to her already and she doesn't take it on board".

She didn't take what I said on board either, to be fair.

Omg gag. I want to vomit reading that. Can't believe ye had to do treatments on her the smelly yoke. I'd probably have told her long before that to wash properly. That's not on if your going to be near her.. smelly parts..
    It's hard when you don't want to offend them but in fairness they don't seem to care who they offend with their crusty vag smell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I totally agree with this, and would be quite similar with my dislike of bodyhair but I find it's the women who don't wax or shave who are the most judgemental. They'll make crude comments are you not washing your bits properly, or suggest your fella must enjoy banging women who resemble kids.

You can be clean and hairy or gross and smooth, but there's one side that's a lot more judgemental

As a woman I just think it looks wrong on women. It's not always associated with smell though that's true but in the case of my French friend it most definitely was. She came straight from a tennis match once to the pub in a sleeveless dress, gave me a hug and I nearly passed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

As a woman I just think it looks wrong on women. It's not always associated with smell though that's true but in the case of my French friend it most definitely was. She came straight from a tennis match once to the pub in a sleeveless dress, gave me a hug and I nearly passed out.

I think its strange to think it looks wrong as its actually what we are meant to look like. Its strange to think hairless is the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

I find that body hair on women is pretty sexy tbh. Maybe it's because it's not the norm?

Advertisement