Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Football Championships 2017 - Read Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Faugheen wrote: »
    I reckon New York could do a job on Sligo this weekend.

They have some very, very good players. Conor McGraynor, Ross Wherity and Tom Cunniffe among others.

Sligo are missing a few men as well. By no means a sure thing.

Sligo will knock them around the place now that I've posted this lol

New York's full back was on the fringes of the Galway panel last year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I reckon Sligo are a good bet at 2/5. NY do have a few good players but they have lads who would never get on a good club team, never mind inter county. Danny Suthcliffe would never get onto Dublin panel and played for a pretty mediocre club team.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Sligo 0-11 to 0-9 up at half time.

Jesus, New York have really up their game over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Sligo 0-11 to 0-9 up at half time.

Jesus, New York have really up their game over the last few years.

Sounds like a strong wind though. I'd expect Sligo to win this by 7-10 points the way it's going. With Marren, Coen, Hughes, and Cawley in this team, I'd be very surprised if the didn't score at least one goal.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Sligo were 8 points to 3 up at one stage too, so NY have had to battle back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Where be the football pools thread? Or are we waiting til the "real" championship starts?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

^
    I don't start them until the after the NY game (given that NY usually lose). It should be up in a few days (I'll let you know given that you always miss em ;) ).

Goal for New York. 13 points to 1-10.
    Game is live on RTE Radio 1 by the way.

^
    I don't start them until the after the NY game (given that NY usually lose). It should be up in a few days (I'll let you know given that you always miss em ;) ).

Goal for New York. 13 points to 1-10.
    Game is live on RTE Radio 1 by the way.

I thought that might be the case. But I've been AWOL from Boards after the incident of 9th April 2017, so thought I might have not seen it.

---

So if NY win...?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,884 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I thought that might be the case. But I've been AWOL from Boards after the incident of 9th April 2017, so thought I might have not seen it.

---

So if NY win...?

They will play mayo in the next round and Sligo will play a prem round match vs another 1st/qf losing team to get into the first round of the qualifiers. Think new york qualify for the qualifiers too

PTH2009 wrote: »
    They will play mayo in the next round and Sligo will play a prem round match vs another 1st/qf team to get into the first round of the qualifiers. Think new york qualify for the qualifiers too

I was talking about Hammer doing the pools as he normally waits til NY lose.

---

Making a serious fist of it here.

• Advertisement

---

So if NY win...?
    Well I'll be starting it this week regardless of the result today.

New York briefly lead but Sligo ahead by 17 points to 1-12 now with 12 minutes left. New York's lack of competitive action sounds like it's catching up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Sligo 7 points up now and pulling away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Panned out pretty much exactly how I thought it would. A bit of a scare but comfortable in the end.

2/5 was generous. Thanks Mr. P :-)

Sligo show their class. 8 point win. NY only scored a point after briefly leading 1-12 to 14.
    Another false dawn for New York. Give it another 12 months and there'll be similar murmurings of New York beating Leitrim.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Sligo got a good test today and Mayo won't have played for nearly two months, that will work in their favour and the fact that no one will give them a chance, Sligo usually perform well as underdogs, but I can see it take a similar pattern to today's game with Sligo giving them a good scare with Mayo winning with a small bit to spare in the end.

Sligo are no world beaters lets be honest, but they are an inter county side that trains seriously and plays against decent teams in league and championships. New York are not nor ever will be. Once I saw NY team I placed a big bet, and am not after timing as posted this the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭C__MC

Mayo will beat Sligo at a canter.

It's in castlebar, there far to strong for them right across the field and have better footballers then Sligo.

Please let's not big this game up, it's a forgone conclusion

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Sligo are no world beaters lets be honest, but they are an inter county side that trains seriously and plays against decent teams in league and championships. New York are not nor ever will be. Once I saw NY team I placed a big bet, and am not after timing as posted this the other day.
    Apart from their 1 point defeat last year, they have shipped some pretty massive defeats. Since 2010, the margins have been 7 points, 16, 24, 24, 22, 16, 1, 8. 19 years and 19 defeats leads me to question the value of New York playing in the championship. As you say, you can't beat regular competitive games which New York don't get.

Apart from their 1 point defeat last year, they have shipped some pretty massive defeats. Since 2010, the margins have been 7 points, 16, 24, 24, 22, 16, 1, 8. 19 years and 19 defeats leads me to question the value of New York playing in the championship. As you say, you can't beat regular competitive games which New York don't get.

Not sure if he actually played but there is no way Danny Suthcliffe would make any serious inter county team or even one of top Dublin club sides. Same for some of the others. Apart from that, they have nowhere close to the preparation that even relatively minor county It is a big social occasion and was at one in 2008 but it is pretty meaningless fixture.

• Advertisement

Not sure if he actually played but there is no way Danny Suthcliffe would make any serious inter county team or even one of top Dublin club sides. Same for some of the others. Apart from that, they have nowhere close to the preparation that even relatively minor county It is a big social occasion and was at one in 2008 but it is pretty meaningless fixture.

He did play.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Players who win All Star awards generally have no problem making serious inter county teams, or top club sides. We know you have a problem with the decisions Danny has made in the last couple of years, but that does not diminish his talent one single jot.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Players who win All Star awards generally have no problem making serious inter county teams, or top club sides. We know you have a problem with the decisions Danny has made in the last couple of years, but that does not diminish his talent one single jot.

He won an All Star for football? First I heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Stop being pedantic. :( You know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I wouldn't discount the training that NY do going by the interview with the manager by woolie Parkinson last week. They train as a group three times a week and collective gym sessions twice. That's not to be scoffed at.

Jayop wrote: »
    I wouldn't discount the training that NY do going by the interview with the manager by woolie Parkinson last week. They train as a group three times a week and collective gym sessions twice. That's not to be scoffed at.

For how long though?

For how long though?

Pretty sure he said since January but I might be wrong.

Still and all, all the training in the world is only so good when you play one match a year with a totally new team each year.

Here lads test your knowledge. I got 8 before I went full stupid and fecked up.

No cheating!

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/amp/gaa/quiz-many-10-successful-football-counties-can-name-without-making-mistake-108465

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

PTH2009 wrote: »
    They will play mayo in the next round and Sligo will play a prem round match vs another 1st/qf losing team to get into the first round of the qualifiers. Think new york qualify for the qualifiers too

As far as I know there is currently no provision for NY to compete in the qualifiers. It was always assumed they'd just lose every year, the game was seen as a social occasion, a bit of a fundraiser and giving the NY GAA fraternity their day out, rather than a serious championship game.

But despite a few heavy defeats along the way NY have been threatening to take a scalp and it may well happen sooner or later. In the past they've taken Leitrim to extra time, given Galway a major scare, and should have beaten the Rossies last year so I think there needs to be a Plan B for what happens if and when they do actually win a game. This year I think they lost has that element of surprise a bit, with Sligo being well forewarned after the fright Roscommon got.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

There will be some tight games no doubt and one or two interesting ones, but its safe to say at this stage that either Dublin or Kerry will win the AI.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement