Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland SHC Final (formerly SHC thread) - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Ah I see that your love affair with Eddie continues to blossom :rolleyes:

I liked him as a player but his default zone like Babs, as a pundit, seems to be sneering.

Let's hope his management career moves on from the disaster it has been to date :)
    What did he say that you disagree with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

What did he say that you disagree with?

It's not so much what he says, but the way he says it. More or less laughing at fellas after being beaten. Do you do that?

He didn't take too kindly to criticism of himself after youse were beaten by Westmeath last year.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    It's not so much what he says, but the way he says it. More or less laughing at fellas after being beaten. Do you do that?

He didn't take too kindly to criticism of himself after youse were beaten by Westmeath last year.

So you agreed with him?

Would be hard to say it was a good day out!

That was not my point. You know yourself you can be critical of lads, especially mostly a bunch of young lads thrown in the deep end - as indeed he ought to know himself from last year's 21s! - without mocking them.

Would you not agree?

Loughane was at similar crack. You never hear Shefflin or Sheedy or Farrell belittling players. And not just going on about our fellas. I've heard Brennan laughing at Wexford and other teams in the past.

Jaysus, getting a hiding is bad enough without being ridiculed.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Loughnane wasnt too far wrong but should not have singled out past players. There is a notion circulating that if only Dublin had their players back they would be winning titles. I think Loughnanne was referring to this as Circumstantial evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,922 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The winners of 2morrows Clare and Limerick Munster semi final and the other 3 provincial semi finals will be guranteed at least an All Ireland Quarter final place

The draw for the Preliminary round takes place on Tuesday. It will take place on Sat 24th June in a neutral venue and involve the Christy Ring Cup champions (Carlow or Antrim) vs Laois or Westmeath. Winner progresses to Round 1 and losers season ends. Not sure what section the preliminary round winner goes into for the round 1 draw but putting them in the munster section would make the most sense.

Round 1

Munster
    Tipperary

Leinster
    Dublin
    Laois or Westmeath

Jesus I'm looking at the fixtures for upcoming matches and you have to wonder sometimes why on earth they drag the arse out of the championship so much. Makes it very hard to get some momentum going, build some excitement, and while the players wait weeks and months between matches the club player does nothing. There has to be a better way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Jesus I'm looking at the fixtures for upcoming matches and you have to wonder sometimes why on earth they drag the arse out of the championship so much. Makes it very hard to get some momentum going, build some excitement, and while the players wait weeks and months between matches the club player does nothing. There has to be a better way.

Absolute joke the way championship is dragged out. Only one hurling match this weekend, it's hard to believe!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yeah completely agree

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

+1000

Was it 2013 when the Dublin hurlers played 4 weekends in a row and then had 2 matches in 2 months after that?

A complete farce, but that's part and parcel of the GAA overall.

You could easily start the Championship on this weekend every year and have it wrapped up on the August Bank Holiday weekend. Or first weekend in July to September or whatever

As bad and all as this is the club All Ireland is worse. Play a Provincial final in November/December and then two matches in 3/4 months!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Good game of hurling in Thurles.

After getting rid of Davy Clare are playing with a sweeper!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Good game of hurling in Thurles.

After getting rid of Davy Clare are playing with a sweeper!!

Some really stupid wides from Limerick though. Absolutely brainless. Just because you have the wind at your back doesn't mean you should be shooting from everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Clare have been decent without being brilliant so far. Limerick bar a 10 minute spell have been woeful. Mad wides from way out the field and terrible ball into their forwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Kelly and Podge non-existent

Clare are over-working their play but they are definitely the better team

• Advertisement

Yeah conlan, McGrath and O'Donnell all very good, if they get good ball in they will produce

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Poor enogh performance by referee Mc Grath.

Shocking marking from Limerick for the concession of that 3rd goal

Limerick need goals and don't look like getting them so PP can stuff his cash out :-)

Standard has really come down in this second half

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Very harsh penalty?

Tony Kelly doesn't seem to be that good of penalty taker. I think he missed one last year as well in the championship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,036 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Made hard work of a very poor limerick side.

Clare win their first Munster Championship match since 2013 and reach the Munster final for the first time in 9 years.

Guaranteed an AI quarter-final place now also

Very harsh penalty?

He was falling anyway, but your man did collapse on top of him!

Surprised he didn't go for a point to leave three scores between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Lot of positives for Clare there and lots to improve on. They created lots of goal chances, played a much more positive style than under Davy which was good to see and ultimately they won comfortably enough without Tony Kelly or Podge, 2 of their best players, playing anywhere near what they can. Also they missed probably 1-4 from placed balls which should be fairly easy to rectify.

Lot of positives for Clare there, think Waterford will beat Cork and should make for a very good Munster final.

Clare win their first Munster Championship match since 2013 and reach the Munster final for the first time in 9 years.

Is the final deff in Cork or will they possibly play it in Thurles as that be easier for the supporters ??

Limerick will improve no doubt but may be a short summer for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Lot of positives for Clare there and lots to improve on. They created lots of goal chances, played a much more positive style than under Davy which was good to see and ultimately they won comfortably enough without Tony Kelly or Podge, 2 of their best players, playing anywhere near what they can. Also they missed probably 1-4 from placed balls which should be fairly easy to rectify.

Lot of positives for Clare there, think Waterford will beat Cork and should make for a very good Munster final.

On the debit side Limerick were very poor for 80% of the game, hit a mountain of mad wides, conceded one of the softest goals you'll ever see and were still within touching distance at the end.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Is the final deff in Cork or will they possibly play it in Thurles as that be easier for the supporters ??

Limerick will improve no doubt but may be a short summer for them

They hardly play a Munster final in PUíR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

If it's Clare cork, it's thurles

Can't remember Clare/cork not being there

There is no home/away arrangement

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Seems you are correct. I thought it would be another year before was finished. Looks quite impressive from the web site/

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Easy for clare limerick were dire.

C__MC wrote: »
    If it's Clare cork, it's thurles

Can't remember Clare/cork not being there

There is no home/away arrangement

AFAIK it's in PUC regardless

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Looking at website seems they are assuming final will be PUC no matter who it is. Looks much improved has to be said!

It's not all that much to celebrate this year sadly

Outside of KK, Galway, Tipp, Waterford, Clare and perhaps Cork (jury still out) no-one is much use. Wexford might shake things up but I can see a real come-down against KK

Limerick have gone backwards something huge, while Dublin are slipping further and further into mediocrity again

To have any hope of winning the AI you'd have to think Clare need to be winning Munster. So huge game for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

jr86 wrote: »

Outside of KK, Galway, Tipp, Waterford, Clare and perhaps Cork (jury still out) no-one is much use. Wexford might shake things up but I can see a real come-down against KK

Limerick have gone backwards something huge, while Dublin are slipping further and further into mediocrity again

To have any hope of winning the AI you'd have to think Clare need to be winning Munster. So huge game for them

galway are now the team to beat at the moment , good hurlers no stupid systems and now in house fighting , they have set the stranded so far , they may lack belief on the big day though , too many hurlers retired in that county empty handed that realy should have won at least one all ireland down the years

clare have huge work to do they need consistency first before they can be contenders

kilkenny waterford and tipperary will be very hard to beat regardless on whats going on in tipp. limerick could have a say yet in one of them counties faith in the back door

jr86 wrote: »

Outside of KK, Galway, Tipp, Waterford, Clare and perhaps Cork (jury still out) no-one is much use. Wexford might shake things up

That's a very pessimistic way of saying there's more contenders than at any time in about twenty years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

That's a very pessimistic way of saying there's more contenders than at any time in about twenty years.

fitz is a smoke screen in my opinion , wexford will barely improve from last years management this year , and no despite the hype they wont come close to kilkenny

• Advertisement

Even if that's true (I think it is) six contenders is more than I ever remember in recent history. It's seldom been more than two or three in any given year this century.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Even if that's true (I think it is) six contenders is more than I ever remember in recent history. It's seldom been more than two or three in any given year this century.

Fully agree with this, especially considering it's a 13 team tournament. There's arguably more genuine contenders in hurling than football.

Not necessarily. Id still be pretty amazed if anyone outside of tipp galway or kk won it out to be honest. I had the same view the last few years (replace galway with Clare 2014).

waterford and clare are decent teams but a load would need to go their way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I never quite understand when people bemoan the championship being uncompetitive and then say nobody outside of Tipp, Galway or Kilkenny.

Galway haven't won it in 30 years so it would be a good thing for the championship to see them win it. But I also don't see how they would be rated much better than Waterford for winning the league? I have no issue with them being championship favourites, but I don't think we are miles off that standard and any gap could conceivably be bridged in 3 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Exactly. If Galway are favourites then surely Waterford and maybe Clare or Cork cant be discounted as contenders.

Think its Galway's year this year

They seem different and seem too be playing as a team

Mark my words Wexford are going to be dark horses. Davy brings a winning mentality everywhere he goes and they have no fear of Kilkenny esp in wexford park

All Ireland semis for me will be (one of my many predictions lol)
    Galway (leinster champs) vs Tipperary
    Clare (Munster champs) vs Wexford

Galway vs Wexford all Ireland final

• Advertisement

Davys Fits wrote: »
    Exactly. If Galway are favourites then surely Waterford and maybe Clare or Cork cant be discounted as contenders.

That doesnt make any sense.

Galway won a league this year, were a puck of the ball from beating the champions last year, made a final in 2015. They've already opened the championship by hammering a 1A side.

They also have a better side on paper than those you mention

Clare have been a non -entity in champ since 2013 and Waterford were thumped by tipp last year and couldn't beat a Kilkenny at about 40%

Id rather judge the form guide than historical records to be quite honest

I think people are far too giddy about this Kilkenny "decline".

They are still littered with quality

To be honest I think they'll beat wexford by north of 10

It's hard to look past Galway, they've an unbelievable team, so physical with some great players and are still a very young team. They will take some stopping.

I agree on kilkenny also, they've all their big guns back this season and I expect them to be there or thereabouts come the first weekend in September.

Outside of that Waterford cannot be discounted, again a very young team who are going all out to win an all Ireland this year. I expect them to win Munster this year and after that who knows, nobody will fancy playing them later in the year.

Wexford I expect will run out of steam eventually, having said that I expect them to give Kilkenny a right scare Saturday night, kilkenny are aiming to peak in August and September so may well be caught on the hop by fitness levels on Saturday, only time will tell.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    It's hard to look past Galway, they've an unbelievable team, so physical with some great players and are still a very young team. They will take some stopping.

I agree on kilkenny also, they've all their big guns back this season and I expect them to be there or thereabouts come the first weekend in September.

Outside of that Waterford cannot be discounted, again a very young team who are going all out to win an all Ireland this year. I expect them to win Munster this year and after that who knows, nobody will fancy playing them later in the year.

Wexford I expect will run out of steam eventually, having said that I expect them to give Kilkenny a right scare Saturday night, kilkenny are aiming to peak in August and September so may well be caught on the hop by fitness levels on Saturday, only time will tell.[/quote

Kilkenny Wexford has the classic makings of a game with so much hype and excitement and it turns out to be a damp squib. Kilkenny by 5+.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

The Wexford team will have to cope with expectation of a good performance from their fans, whether it will be good enough to beat Kilkenny we will see. Cody knows Davy well at this stage, he knows how he is going to align his team, and how Wexford will play. This game has been earmarked all year for Kilkenny, I'm expecting them to really hit the ground running hard. I don't think Kilkenny can afford to go through the back door to be honest, Tipp are there and Kilkenny don't have great strength in depth for extra games, along with some injuries they are carrying. I'm going to go with a Kilkenny win next week. It's the type of game which could tell alot of where both teams are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement