Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The JBL Bullying Thread

Options
1356789

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany


    beakerjoe wrote: »
    Of course they wont, why would they?

    Because it's the elephant in the room and Jericho/Austin have always tried to maintain an aura of autonomy from WWE in their podcast. Jericho, for example, spoke on the DeMott bullying story (defending him). If the story doesn't go away, ignoring it may knock them down a peg or two in their standing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe


    briany wrote: »
    Because it's the elephant in the room and Jericho/Austin have always tried to maintain an aura of autonomy from WWE in their podcast. Jericho, for example, spoke on the DeMott bullying story (defending him). If the story doesn't go away, ignoring it may knock them down a peg or two in their standing.

    With them being connected with WWE and details being fairly skeetchy Id imagine they'd avoid it until its public.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter


    It's a horrific situation and saddening to see it's still going on. I am pretty happy to see the amount of traction this topic is getting in mainstream news, and anecdotes/testimonials from the last 20 years about what a massive c**t JBL is. I hope Mauro publicly tells his side of it so there's no squirming around for WWE. Even if 1/4 of the things said are true, hopefully it gets too hard for WWE to ignore and they throw JBL out on his ear, and that's way better than what he deserves.


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe


    jaykhunter wrote: »
    It's a horrific situation and saddening to see it's still going on. I am pretty happy to see the amount of traction this topic is getting in mainstream news, and anecdotes/testimonials from the last 20 years about what a massive c**t JBL is. I hope Mauro publicly tells his side of it so there's no squirming around for WWE. Even if 1/4 of the things said are true, hopefully it gets too hard for WWE to ignore and they throw JBL out on his ear, and that's way better than what he deserves.

    While I agree JBL is a c*nt, and has been 10 years previous, I dont see how its a horrific situation yet. Mauro suffers from an illness and its a terrible affliction, no doubt. But we have no clue what JBL did, or if he did anything at all.

    God knows if Bradshaw did anything to him yet that was bullying. I think we should wait until the full details come out. Right now JBL has done nothing wrong as far as I can read.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC


    I don't know what JBL said or did.

    I do know I trust Meltzer more than just about anyone else when it comes to reporting these sorts of stories, and given how horrified and pissed off about this, I trust there's something has happened.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe


    Lord TSC wrote: »
    I don't know what JBL said or did.

    I do know I trust Meltzer more than just about anyone else when it comes to reporting these sorts of stories, and given how horrified and pissed off about this, I trust there's something has happened.

    See I dont trust Melty. He picks and chooses what to cover. Mauro is a friend of his show and never gets any flack for his short comings on the commentary. Its biased reporting coming from him.

    Now If any actual facts come to the surface, I may change my tune but so far Ive read zero to confirm anything happened. After 4 weeks, Im surprised no real story has emerged other than a vague "JBL bullied Mauro" narrative.

    I like Mauro, I felt like him and JBL were complementing eachother well but he always struck me as the over sensitive type.

    Mauro has an illness that can make his mood swing from high to very low very easily and in a high pressure job like live TV, it can be badly affected. Im not saying JBL is not an ass, but its possible he may not be as bad in this situation as many assume he is. Esp after the Bill DeMott, issue, JBL being an intellegant man, I have imagined he would have toned down his antics in recent years


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba


    beakerjoe wrote: »
    While I agree JBL is a c*nt, and has been 10 years previous, I dont see how its a horrific situation yet. Mauro suffers from an illness and its a terrible affliction, no doubt. But we have no clue what JBL did, or if he did anything at all.

    God knows if Bradshaw did anything to him yet that was bullying. I think we should wait until the full details come out. Right now JBL has done nothing wrong as far as I can read.

    Right....

    - So 20 years of documented bullying

    - Aggressive tweets and an outburst on Bring it to the Table designed to demean Mauro and an achievement which he was extremely proud of.

    -Biggest, most reputable name in sports wrestling journalism for decades covers this story for 2 weeks, and is obviously very shaken and troubled on it.

    Like - any source isn't going to reveal themselves due to the obvious reprisals. Dave isn't going to reveal his sources - because he is a good journalist. It's pretty dumb to think that he would stick his neck out as much as he has - literally risks burning multiple bridges because of how he has covered the situation.

    There is nobody else who can speak out about it. I don't know what you are waiting for but anybody in the company who speaks out on the issue loses their job. Maybe not instantly but over time their role is reduced/they are taken off TV etc.

    The naivety is literally off the scale.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany


    We don't know exactly how bad the Ranallo situation is just yet, but the situation has been a catalyst for people to come forward and talk about JBL's conduct towards various different persons within WWE. That's really what's driving the story. If it were an isolated incident with Ranallo, it might not have been as big.


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe


    Mokuba wrote: »
    Right....
    Ok lets look at the facts
    - So 20 years of documented bullying
    He has a bad reputation no doubt, I never doubted he hadnt. It by no means means hes guilty yet though

    -
    Aggressive tweets and an outburst on Bring it to the Table designed to demean Mauro and an achievement which he was extremely proud of.

    Ah if Mauro got offended by anything in the Bring it to the Table segment, he'd want to get thicker skin. Its hardly bullying. Justin Roberts incident, yeah thats bullying.... this, no way.
    -Biggest, most reputable name in sports wrestling journalism for decades covers this story for 2 weeks, and is obviously very shaken and troubled on it.

    Meltzer is selective about about his stories as he is. Its no sure sign of guilt. Im not saying something hasnt happened, but Melty is a friend and may be biased

    He hasnt reported about alleged bullying in ROH? I WONDER WHY THAT IS?
    Like - any source isn't going to reveal themselves due to the obvious reprisals. Dave isn't going to reveal his sources - because he is a good journalist. It's pretty dumb to think that he would stick his neck out as much as he has - literally risks burning multiple bridges because of how he has covered the situation.

    So Dave knows but wont say, surely Mauro or one of his friends is the source. He doesnt have to name a source, but he just has to give us a part of the story? surely he knows.
    The naivety is literally off the scale.

    Im just not jumping to conclusions and assuming someones guilt before any, even one fact comes to light. How about instead of mistaking my cautiousness for naivety, you present me some facts from the Mauro situation that proves hes guilty.

    Do i think JBL is a c*nt? Yes

    Has he bullied Mauro? I have no idea, and neither does anyone else yet except for Mauro's buddies who have yet to mention a fact or even proof


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe


    briany wrote: »
    We don't know exactly how bad the Ranallo situation is just yet, but the situation has been a catalyst for people to come forward and talk about JBL's conduct towards various different persons within WWE. That's really what's driving the story. If it were an isolated incident with Ranallo, it might not have been as big.

    Yes, its been a great catalyst for the historical stories, for which JBL (if true) was an ass and deserves to be fired for, No doubt.

    But whos to say in recent years he hasnt cleaned up his act, saw the errors of his ways and adapted to modern society?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89


    beakerjoe wrote:
    I like Mauro, I felt like him and JBL were complementing eachother well but he always struck me as the over sensitive type.


    People who suffer with bipolar disorder & depression tend to be.....
    Its not like it's a secret.


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe


    ERG89 wrote: »
    People who suffer with bipolar disorder & depression tend to be.....
    Its not like it's a secret.

    Sorry I meant before I was informed he had Bi-Polar


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany


    beakerjoe wrote: »
    But whos to say in recent years he hasnt cleaned up his act, saw the errors of his ways and adapted to modern society?

    Sure, but even then look at what happened to Hogan. He said one thing in the heat of the moment and that was recorded some 10 years prior and WWE dropped him quick smart. Suffice it to say that I don't really think time elapsed matters and current character matter so much as the potential to generate scandal in the present, in the eyes of the WWE.

    The problem also remains that until a bunch of people speak up for JBL to say that he's a great guy who has seen the error of his ways, the perception will remain that he's a bully, whether currently true or not. However I've seen people much more speaking to the idea that he's a bully, up to now. The ball is now in his court.


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe


    briany wrote: »
    Sure, but even then look at what happened to Hogan. He said one thing in the heat of the moment and that was recorded some 10 years prior and WWE dropped him quick smart. Suffice it to say that I don't really think time elapsed matters and current character matter so much as the potential to generate scandal in the present, in the eyes of the WWE.

    The problem also remains that until a bunch of people speak up for JBL to say that he's a great guy who has seen the error of his ways, the perception will remain that he's a bully, whether currently true or not. However I've seen people much more speaking to the idea that he's a bully, up to now. The ball is now in his court.

    Whether or not the Mauro facts come to light, its slowly shining a spotlight on the hazing culture in WWE. JBL, and others still employed backstage by WWE, are all part of that frat boy environment.

    In my eyes he will always be perceived as that and I understand why people are quick to jump to that assumption. I just am reserved about casting judgement in this Mauro situation until actual facts come to light.

    He's reaping what he sowed in his previous years

    I know his good friend Coach has come out and defended him, but like Mauro and Melty, Coach is biased being JBLs buddy and considering his ties with WWE.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany


    Short clip on Meltzer talking about JBL bullying someone in the back when a family member of theirs was stricken with cancer, insinuating that JBL of the situation and that the target was particularly vulnerable at the time. Not saying Meltzer is gospel or anything, but as one of the more reliable guys in wrestling journalism and the way he's championing this story, I wouldn't say he's speaking these words lightly. Time, however, will tell...

    https://clyp.it/pmekxou2


  • Registered Users Posts: 39,650 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy


    Lads those of ye who listen to meltzer more than I do. Is meltzer known for throwing "****s" into his reporting ? In that clip above he drops one and I've heard at least one more.

    He does seem very pissed off at the situation.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba


    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Lads those of ye who listen to meltzer more than I do. Is meltzer known for throwing "****s" into his reporting ? In that clip above he drops one and I've heard at least one more.

    He does seem very pissed off at the situation.

    No. This is the most angry I remember him being as long as I've listened to him.

    Bryan Alvarez is the ranter who uses all the f*cks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany


    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Lads those of ye who listen to meltzer more than I do. Is meltzer known for throwing "****s" into his reporting ? In that clip above he drops one and I've heard at least one more.

    He does seem very pissed off at the situation.

    Don't know who sweary he usually is, but he mentioned on, I think WOR but could be wrong, that the reason he's so riled up over this story relates to a personal incident for him where when he was a kid, he witnessed a handicapped kid in his 5th grade class receive a, what Meltzer describes as, a pretty brutal beating from another, able-bodied, classmate, while Meltzer and his friends looked on and did nothing to help, and feeling guilt over that failure to act has resolved him now to speak out if he knows about a bullying situation.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba


    This makes me think a lot about the stuff that has gone on in the past.

    The way Vince McMahon has treated JR over the years is just as disgusting and vile. The amount of times he absolutely humiliated and degraded him in his hometown (beyond the realms of "getting heat") is despicable.

    Just in case anybody forgets who enables this sickening culture -



  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88


    Honestly I agree totally with beakerjoe until we know what has happened exactly I think it's jumping the gun because we all know JBL has been a piece of crap over the years.

    Meltzer I always take a pinch of salt especially when it's concerning his friends aso it known he chooses not to report stuff. It will be interesting to see if he reports flairs latest incident like he would if it was someone else.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba


    sky88 wrote: »

    Meltzer I always take a pinch of salt especially when it's concerning his friends aso it known he chooses not to report stuff. It will be interesting to see if he reports flairs latest incident like he would if it was someone else.

    What are you on about?

    A drunk person had a go at a bartender - it happens a lot. It's not acceptable, of course, but it's not at the level of man and company systematically bullying a person with mental health issues, until he feels he can no longer work his dream job.

    Worth bearing in mind that the anniversary of Reid's overdose was just over a week ago. Again, doesn't excuse the behaviour, but worth bearing in mind.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88


    Mokuba wrote: »
    What are you on about?

    A drunk person had a go at a bartender - it happens a lot. It's not acceptable, of course, but it's not at the level of man and company systematically bullying a person with mental health issues, until he feels he can no longer work his dream job.

    Worth bearing in mind that the anniversary of Reid's overdose was just over a week ago. Again, doesn't excuse the behaviour, but worth bearing in mind.


    I wasn't comparing the events of the stories I was just trying to illustrate what I feel as dave picking and choosing stories.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne


    In the nicest possible way, if you feel like 'wrestler calling bartender a fat ass and being booted out of a bar' is news, you're better off reading TMZ than the Observer. Dave and Bryan tend to tackle bigger broader issues worthy of analysis. Not sure what they'd add to Satin's piece.


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe


    Monokne wrote: »
    In the nicest possible way, if you feel like 'wrestler calling bartender a fat ass and being booted out of a bar' is news, you're better off reading TMZ than the Observer. Dave and Bryan tend to tackle bigger broader issues worthy of analysis. Not sure what they'd add to Satin's piece.

    What about his neglect to report on rohs backstage issues?


  • Registered Users Posts: 39,650 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy


    beakerjoe wrote: »
    What about his neglect to report on rohs backstage issues?

    What ROH backstage issues ?

    I think JBL is getting **** on by people because he has a lot of form in the issue he's been accused of. So he not getting much benefit of the doubt.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter


    I find it interesting people trying to knock down Meltzer -- I'm genuinely interested to know -- A) who is a more reputable wrestling reporter? and B) what stories has he neglected on covering? Please be specific so I can go research it myself!


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty


    JBL seems to be blocking anyone who speaks against him on Twitter. Make of that what you will.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne


    jaykhunter wrote: »
    I find it interesting people trying to knock down Meltzer -- I'm genuinely interested to know -- A) who is a more reputable wrestling reporter? and B) what stories has he neglected on covering? Please be specific so I can go research it myself!


    There is no more reputable wrestling reporter. In fact other than Mike Johnson and Ryan Satin, there's no one who even breaks news anymore. Keller, Mitchell, Scherer, Powell all just comment on what comes out after the fact.

    It's very hipster to have a dig at Meltzer. People will throw out these casual "You can't rely on Meltzer nowadays things" after they've spent the last 3 months discussing the Wrestlemania card that Dave broke in January. The fact he gets only the very occasional thing wrong in an industry proliferated by workers and bullsh*tters is very impressive.

    I will say that Dave makes an ass-hat out of himself on Twitter, which I think feeds into it.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt


    KKkitty wrote: »
    JBL seems to be blocking anyone who speaks against him on Twitter. Make of that what you will.

    That's nothing new in fairness, he's been doing that for as long as I've followed him. It's mostly rugby stuff he tweets about nowadays.


Advertisement